Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by krp
My personal feelings about these tags aside... I fought hard against HB2072 to keep these tags to 3 per species... and won.

But since they exist and have existed and won't go away. No money goes into the general fund. All money goes into the HPC for habitat and specifically for habitat for that specie.

Last year AZ recieved 25+ million from Pittman/Robertson federal return. To use that money AZ or any state has to spend 25% to 75% P/R. HPC gets money from many sources including the auction/raffle tags. If some guy spends 250,000 for one tag that relates to 1 million on the ground for habitat.

That's the real math.

Kent

Nice to see some facts and I agree with limiting these tags. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if it were all a raffle just to stop the bitching and moaning

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have shot carloads of these...

[Linked Image]

So I can get these...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice work Shrapnel.

Let me know when Arizona auctions off the drivers license without speed limits.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by conrad101st
Velvet smacks of hunting out of season. I don't care if he paid $500k for his candyass tag that the governor splooged on to hunt with 12 guides, 2 helicopters, 30 beaters and a wet nurse. It's hunting out of season and isn't a fair hunt done in the wilderness under fair conditions. It's just a hand job for a rich pussie.

None of this happened in this hunt as I know the parties involved. THis bull was found by legwork of a couple of guys. They did babysit him for a few days though.

As for velvet, you can't shoot a buck in our early archery season that doesn't have velvet. I am surprised that this bull was still in velvet myself. Two years ago I watched three bulls within 10 miles of this bull strip their velvet on July 14th.

I think it is unfair to characterize a velvet animal as being poached. Unless I am mistaken, you can start hunting Sitka blacktails in July as well. They will certainly be in velvet.

For those who haven't done it, summer bucks and bulls are the very best eating-far better than a rutting bull or fall buck.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
July is not an easy time to find them.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by roninflag
July is not an easy time to find them.

It can be, IF they are still in velvet they are more sensitive about their bones. They also are still hitting salt pretty hard. Just have to use different tactics. They aren't chasing cows yet, that's for sure.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've only ever shot one caribou that was hard horned and the only moose I've killed was in velvet as well. I know lots of guys who hunt the alpine hard for early season bucks. They earn every one and they're normally wearing velvet. My uncle killed a big muley one November that was in velvet. Never knew we were doing it wrong, abiding by the limits and only hunting when season was open.

The guy bought the tag and with it bought the privilege to hunt whenever he wanted, so it was in season. He did nothing wrong in that aspect. And just incase anyone was unsure, money will buy ANYTHING aside from true love and a ticket to heaven. He paid his fee and played by the set of rules set forth for him.

Awesome bull and more interesting to me than the final score would be what kind of mount he ends up having done. Truly an uncommon trophy and I bet he'll be good tablefare to boot.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,074
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.