Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ken,
<br>
<br>My point is that I see no load development theory or practice in Water's Pet Loads. In fact I see Pet Loads as the antithesis of a load development technique.
<br>
<br>Go ahead and edit as you see fit. Moderators and editing are necessary on the forums as well as elsewhere. But I point out that you did not threatend to edit when Parker Ackley was accused here in your forum of attempted murder!
<br>
<br>Water's writes a happy page and does it well and in volume. We need writers like that. It rests the mind from all that hard stuff like thinking. I do that when I sit in the forest and just look around me.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don,
<br>
<br>Actually, being the anal sort of number crunching DBA that I am, I have the data points of my very extensive library loaded into a data base. I hired a UMO-KC student to do all that work a couple of summers ago. It took her nearly three (3) months to capture and load the historical data, but now it only takes a few hours each month to keep current.
<br>
<br>If I want to look at the .32 Winchester Special, I run the report and it will show data for all of the periodicals and reloading manual that have been captured. I didn't say that I felt that Ken was comprehensive, I said that I liked to start with Pet Loads and inferred that I would more forward from there.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264
<br>
<br>PS So, have you had any new thoughts about how worthless the .260 Remington is?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Don wrote:
<br>
<br>Loads for those cartridges are in all of the Ideal and Lyman manuals thru #43 at least. Not only are they in there but they list minimum and maximum loads a concept that Waters has not invented yet.
<br>
<br>Don,
<br>
<br>I don't quite get that last statement -- in each "Pet Loads" article, Waters describes the expansion criteria he will regard as showing "maximum" and indicates which loads hit that level. Whether you agree with his methodology or not, he does have the concept.
<br>
<br>As for "minimum," no, he doesn't list his starting loads. Neither do the Alliant, IMR or Winchester manuals, all of which just say to start 10% down from the maximum.
<br>
<br>John
<br>

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dr. Howell,
<br>
<br>Very good to see/read,that you are not brooking much in the way of sheeite as of late. While I'm the last jump to conclusions and HATE to assume anything,your mood seems to be chipper(and I hope my guess is accurate in that regard).
<br>
<br>With that in mind,I wish you both the best of health and a minimum of bullsheeite to sort through.
<br>
<br>Regards.................
<br>
<br>(and Don,the timing of my comments had nothing to do with your above post/s)..............Give or take(grin)....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Bearrrrr - If you load for the .32 Win Spec, Id' sure like to hear your starting load data
<br>
<br>Thanks, sse

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend Don, herewith (a) a mandatory clarification, (b) an invitation, and (c) a recommendation:
<br>
<br>(a) Please, by no means consider my request for a "huge favor" (above) as anything approaching or suggesting a banishing. You're always welcome here as far as I'm concerned -- I just prefer that no one continue to obsessively stroke a pet peeve against someone or grind a pejorative axe here. "Let all things be done unto edifying" or entertaining.
<br>
<br>(b) You're experienced, intelligent, articulate -- you even spell well (not a universal skill). Please give the rest of us the benefit of your recipe for what you consider an intelligent and sound technique for developing optimum loads. I think you'll find even the contrary opinions that it'll inspire more edifying and satisfying than venting ire toward Ken Waters.
<br>
<br>I have every confidence that you can do it the way I advised Ken W to answer an article that he bitterly complained to me about. I urged him to send me an article on his method of miking case expansion when he took umbrage and complained because I published Bob Hagel's article on Bob's way of miking cases. I told KW that he should write his article with no mention whatever of anyone else's method -- as if he'd never heard of BH, as if BH had never been born, had never advocated another method of miking cases. That approach hadn't occurred to KW. Embracing it, he agreed -- and sent me an excellent presentation of his method. I published Ken's article as a "Pet Loads" special and later included it in a supplement to the original "Pet Loads" book. A positive presentation is far superior to an argumentative, contentious one -- IF the presenter has the stuff of a solid presentation that doesn't have to stand on the bloodied body of a rival.
<br>
<br>(c) Wrap your gray matter around (and squeeze) one of the books that I've found both edifying and enjoyable -- Michael J Gelb's "How to Think like Leonardo da Vinci -- Seven Steps to Genius Every Day" (Delacorte Press, 1998).
<br>
<br>Sum, ergo cogito (KEH version)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don
<br>
<br>With no small expectation, I'm looking forward to your
<br>book about Load Development Technique.
<br>
<br>I'll take a signed copy. Even pay more for it.
<br>
<br>
<br>

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you read just Ken Howells posts in this topic you will see why the Handloader and Rifle mags were so good when he was editor. Thanks Ken for the spelling comment but your just being nice.
<br>
<br>If I write a article on how I develop a load then I will try to sell it. But I do have a specific proceedure.
<br>
<br>Here is a free one for you www.windcharts.com/reality_based_load_development.htm

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend Ken,I've been absent from the boards lately and just want to say it's good to see you haven't lost a step after the health problems.You would like the load I settled on for the 257 WBY. Around 50000 psi or less and still getting 3280 fps with the 117 gr. Hornady. Two shots today and two dead deer.It's opening day and the only thing I had shot with it was a coyote 'til now.
<br>
<br>' Stick would have felt right at home here today; Misting rain all day long and temp in the mid-forties.Take care,gene.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I am a fan of 'Pet Loads'. It must be remembered that Pet Loads is a compilation of articles going back to the '70's.
<br> Where else can you find modern, safe data for the 256 Newton?
<br> Pet Loads, IMO, is an invaluable resource to anyone who loads, or wants to, a lot of different cartridges.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jack,
<br>
<br>Actually, probably not in Pet Loads, if you're shooting a modern rifle and not an original First Model Newton, like Ken Waters' rifle.
<br>
<br>If you're a Newton guy, I can hook you up with a Newton Nut! If you're interested, send me a PM.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Speer Manual #4 has plenty of loads for the .256 Newton that include all of the appropiate imr powders and H4831 also.
<br>
<br>www.loadyourown.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000089.html

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Personally I am a big Waters fan. I have been reloading for the last 25 years and the pressure ring method of Waters gave me an approach that I found very valuable over the years. As for the .358 article some of the earliest articles were a bit sketchy on detail and I think he blew it with his 6.5 Rem Mag write up but all in all Ken is my favourite writer. A gentleman with a good balanced point of view and a very credible writing style.... I think I would like to know him which is more than I can say for a lot of writers that came after him. He also doesn't jump on band wagons and remains committed to well balanced efficient cartridges over such rich boy toys as the 30-378 ect.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
we as shooter's owe Ken Waters a great debt of gatitude.It would take a lifetime to shoot,load, and write about all of the guns he's reported on, AND THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT IT TOOK HIM...A WHOLE LIFTIME!POWDR

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have always appreciated Ken Waters's work. What appeals to me is the fact that he seems to be "everyman" with the time and opportunity to tinker and experiment. Put another way, his approach is one to which I can relate. If we had some sort of device which would automatically eliminate all of the things that the reader already knows from each and every article, what would be left (a huge amount of material in my case) would not be nearly as interesting to read nor would it appear in the context in which it was written. One thing that I would mention is that if we were to heed all of the admonishment to always use only the most recent available data, such (to me) valuable resources as Pet Loads would be consigned to tinder duty. Best to all, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
After 35 years of active handloading, when starting a new project Pet Loads is still my first reference after the loading manuals.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A 6 year old thread is born again!
What did P O Ackley, Jack O'Connor, Bruce Hodgdon & Ken Waters have in common?
They weren't right all the time, just most of it.
One can only speculate what each might do with the (cheap) technology & wide variety of component & cartridges available in today's market.
Taking the advice of any of those guys will most likely serve you well, very well.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I love Pet Loads as a reference. Now if I can catch the (%^^%%$$*^^^ that stole mine, I will be happy. Since I can not find another copy anywhere!!!!!!!!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The latest edition of PET LOADS (includes all of the supplements) is available from Wolfe on line for $60.00.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Don_Martin
What is Waters approach to handloading anyway?
<br>
<br>What proceedure do you find facinating?
<br>
<br>I find that each of his essays starts with colorfull enthusiam for some cartridge as he skillfully paints a verbal picture of it's highlights. Then the article goes down hill with random results and Waters still a happy camper.
<br>
<br>I have never learned anything from him but would read him as he is a rifleman.

Ken Waters offered a methodical, precise approach to reloading. He wrote very well and explained his steps completely. He's one that I'd love to sit down with and discuss handloading. I miss his writing.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

191 members (2500HD, 160user, 69sportfury, 01Foreman400, 300s, 2UP, 12 invisible), 1,714 guests, and 995 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,625
Posts18,474,094
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.