Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by CraigD
Several tidbits from the singleactions.com web site - the poster reported a 30% to 50% increase in accuracy over conventionally sized and lubed cast bullets. To me that is a significant improvement! Second, powder coated cast bullets could be used in Glock pistols with no ill effects...

Not surprising, as most jack up a perfectly good bullet or a moderately unbalanced one through the sizing or loading process, even with jacketed bullets.

The powdercoating is similar to what lubes, paper patching and jacketed bullets achieve: it limits friction directly applied to a low eutectic and generally soft metal alloy.

I think more people worry about lube (which explains a lot of concoctions) way before fit and balance, so its not surprising that powdercoating has so many fans.

Can I get an AMEN!

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not sure what you’re using for an oven, but it would be wise to stay away from the one in the kitchen for PC baking. I had a toaster oven specifically for the process.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by HawkI
Originally Posted by CraigD
Several tidbits from the singleactions.com web site - the poster reported a 30% to 50% increase in accuracy over conventionally sized and lubed cast bullets. To me that is a significant improvement! Second, powder coated cast bullets could be used in Glock pistols with no ill effects...

Not surprising, as most jack up a perfectly good bullet or a moderately unbalanced one through the sizing or loading process, even with jacketed bullets.

The powdercoating is similar to what lubes, paper patching and jacketed bullets achieve: it limits friction directly applied to a low eutectic and generally soft metal alloy.

I think more people worry about lube (which explains a lot of concoctions) way before fit and balance, so its not surprising that powdercoating has so many fans.

Can I get an AMEN!

Amen!

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
1. Different ingredients make different cakes.
2. Heat removes hardness strength from lead alloys; shot strings, ambient temp, aging and drawing/annealing by heating and cooling will lower BHN of a lead alloy.
3. Depends. It will eliminate shearing and tearing and deformation, the same way sizing after lubing the conventional way will. Accuracy will still have greater suck potential if the check is sized out of alignment....
4. Not for the powder coat.
5. Yes, just like jacketed bullets can be driven faster without leading.
6. Accumulation of leading decreases accuracy, as does poor fit. Like I said before, some people jack up fit so bad by either sizing or loading even loads that don't lead can shoot like crap.

[Linked Image]

Five softnosed 22 Hornets that chronied at 2,900 fps without powder coating.

Its best to fix the outcome and hedge bets before powder is dumped, or, if people gave as much attention to bullets as to dumping powder, most other minor ills will go unnoticed.

Don't turn darts into boomerangs....

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Rolly
I find this a very interesting thread and perhaps it should be down in the cast bullet section of the forum. I do have some questions and observations from what I had read so far.
1. It appears that using Harbor Freight PC and shaking and baking gives less than desirable results.
2. I heat treat some of my rifle bullets for strength and ability to shoot them faster. Doesn't heating the bullets again to set the PC and then allowing them to air cool just remove all the heat treatment I had done previously?
3. It appears that one should apply gas checks and do any sizing necessary AFTER applying PC.
4. Once bullets are coated they don't need to be stood on end in the oven to bake the PC.
5. Powder coating seems to allow bullets to be driven faster than typical lead alloy without leading the barrel often associated with "fast" lead bullets.
6. Powder coating seems to allow bullets to achieve better accuracy. Why would that be?

2- Do the heat treat and powder coat in the same process, if it gives the hardness you need. If not, heat treat after powder coating. When I want to heat treat, on the last round of coating (usually do 2 coats) I pour a pitcher of cold water over the bullets right out of the oven. (Dont try to dump the bullets in the water while they're hot, that pulls the coating off and leaves bare spots where they stuck together.)

3- correct

4- that's my method anyway. Some powders stick bullets together worse than others though, even different colors of the same brand. Candy colors are the worst.

5- yes, exactly

6- I haven't noticed better accuracy necessarily, but I have noticed more rounds (a LOT more) down the barrel before accuracy starts to drop off.

IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1minute, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,584 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,480
Posts18,490,125
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.