Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Problem with the meat bait is they only crave meat (protein) in the spring and fall.

Middle of summer they're looking for sweets (pollen) I put a meat bait out last week,, caught two,, but my sugar water/lemon juice baits are loaded with corpses.

The upside to meat baits is that honey bees aren't meat eaters so there's little chance of doing any damage even if you do put seven on it.

Detergent and water,,,,, it works if you can get a good dose on em but a simple spritzing doesn't do very much if anything.

I'm covered up with the yellow demons this year so I'm using all of the above.

Nope, it does nothing. You have to flood them. Really only works on ground nests.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ribka

a spray can of brake cleaner does well

That statement reminded me of this old cartoon.

[Linked Image]

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Crews have been coming back about 2-3 times per week lately stung, they are starting to get pissed about it.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Problem with the meat bait is they only crave meat (protein) in the spring and fall.

Middle of summer they're looking for sweets (pollen) I put a meat bait out last week,, caught two,, but my sugar water/lemon juice baits are loaded with corpses.

The upside to meat baits is that honey bees aren't meat eaters so there's little chance of doing any damage even if you do put seven on it.

Detergent and water,,,,, it works if you can get a good dose on em but a simple spritzing doesn't do very much if anything.

I'm covered up with the yellow demons this year so I'm using all of the above.

Around here, the fall bees are the worst. Super aggressive. Best time to wholesale slaughter the little bastiches. Oh, my heart sings at the thought of it.

Was bowhunting elk one year near Crater Lake when there was a freak snowstorm. One day 85 degrees, the next 4" of snow. Came across a whole pile of bees on the ground that got caught outside the nest. Laughed my ass off! HAAAAAAAAAA!

Basterds.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/31/15.

LOL
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've been calling them the wrong name for 60 years...damn.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I've been calling them the wrong name for 60 years...damn.

Me too,,, boy do I feel stupid.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
At our range, we found, though they have "official bee catchers jars", a 1 liter soda bottle with the top cut off right where it joins the bottle proper, and turned upside down, and some ORANGE soda, not much , poured into the bottle, will attract yellow jackets like a magnet they seem to like the orange soda most. One day, I had a can of orange soda setting on the shooting table with the tab opened. picked it up to take a drink and when the liquid hit my tongue, felt the solid object and tried to spit it out, but not fast enough and got stung on the tongue by the bee. OUCH..

Ghost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ghost
One day, I had a can of orange soda setting on the shooting table with the tab opened. picked it up to take a drink and when the liquid hit my tongue, felt the solid object and tried to spit it out, but not fast enough and got stung on the tongue by the bee. OUCH..

They like beer too,,,, don't ask me how I know,,, but I now have a little flat rock that fits perfectly on the mouth of a beer bottle that's lived on my patio table for several years now.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Now after reading this thread, I don't know exactly what they were, always thought it was a big yellow jacket nest on a satellite dish I was charged to repo for my employer at the time. I had nothing to get rid of them but a plastic bag, I opened it wide, ran in and snatched the whole nest in one quick move and smashed it into goo, 1 escaped I was able to kill with my ball cap.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ghost
At our range, we found, though they have "official bee catchers jars", a 1 liter soda bottle with the top cut off right where it joins the bottle proper, and turned upside down, and some ORANGE soda, not much , poured into the bottle, will attract yellow jackets like a magnet they seem to like the orange soda most. One day, I had a can of orange soda setting on the shooting table with the tab opened. picked it up to take a drink and when the liquid hit my tongue, felt the solid object and tried to spit it out, but not fast enough and got stung on the tongue by the bee. OUCH..

Happened to me but it was not the brightest honeybee, taking a swig from my open can of TAB.

Dave

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
You guys are talking about hornets. Yellow jackets build nests under the eaves of houses and such. They are pretty aggressive if you poke around on the nest, that's for sure.

We always got them all stirred up then fought them with badminton rackets.

I don't do that anymore.

In ground yellow jacket nests are very common.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) seems to attract them and kill them too. In my teens I spent a summer doing concrete curb and gutter work. We'd use ATF as a release agent on the steel forms for the concrete. Whenever we left an open pan or bucket of ATF out it would invariably fill up with dead yellow jackets.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Dawn Dishwashing Liquid squirted right down the entrance to their nest (small opening where the door frame and concrete met on the front porch) wiped out most of the colony. A second application took care of the stragglers....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The sevin dosed meat sounds like a great idea.

We used to hang a chunk of meat about 1/4" above a pan of oil. They'd eat so much that when they tried to fly they'd drop into the oil before they'd develop enough lift to fly back to the hive.

I stumbled into a hive once when my brother and I were fishing along a creek. They were in a rotten log and damn what a swarm came out when I stepped on the log, my brother and I were stung 40-50 times each. Since then stings don't seem to hurt as much. I was stung by a bald faced hornet (the black and white one) last fall in my tent and it barely roused me from my sleep.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1234, 007FJ, 160user, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,184 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,778
Posts18,495,830
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.