G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I have 5 2 Marlin Bolts one in 22 mag and another in .22 LR

A HB remington 700 Dicks sporting goods exclusive in .223

A Howa in 223

A Vanguard in.270

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Old 788 in 308.

[Linked Image]

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Small groups matter with my target rifles.

When hunting game I intend to hit the game with the first shot from my rifles cold barrel. That's what I primarily keep records on.

Does the rifle stay sighted in??

Today I shot a M70 that I bought because it had a well done stock and a pre-64 action. It has a 22" aftermarket barrel in .300 Win. Mag.

Today it put it's first two shots from a cold barrel into one hole at 100 yds. It has done this before.

I shot it again, right away at 200 yds and it made a 1" two shot group an inch to the left of center. While this is very good what matters most is that it do it later when hunting from a cold barrel. I will check it soon next week.

The bullet is the 155 Berger VLD over Varget.

It's the rifle at the bottom of this picture.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I had a ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag that liked to punch a ragged hole. It was my trusted elk rifle and I sold it because I got on this damn pre 64 model 70 bandwagon....

[Linked Image]

I also sold a nice tanger 270 round top because I bought a pre 64 model 70 270 fwt to take its place. It shot damn well for a tanger. The new owner loves it:
[Linked Image]

Another Ruger that surprised me was my .223 rem Hawkeye. It shot almost as good as my varminter:
[Linked Image]

Now, those were bolt action rifles so they should shoot pretty good right? This thread is about "surprising one hole shooters". The one that surprised me the most was my 1961 Winchester model 100 that I glass bed. This was the first group after glass bedding it:

[Linked Image]

Not bad for an old semi auto... laugh

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Old 788 in 308.

[Linked Image]

788's are like cheating. I'm not the lest bit "surprised" you are getting 1 hole groups with it. I didn't even list my 6mm rem 788 because everyone knows they shoot. Little target pic of how mine did. Not surprisingly though:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hmmmm, you say that scope looks familiar?? Yes, it was the same one I had on my win model 100 when It shot in the .3's....:
[Linked Image]

No flies on that "proven" scope... wink

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bsa1917hunter.
Nothing says poor workmanship like uneven duck tape -Red Green

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ... I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BSA,

Yea, I guess you are right. But for a $300 investment, I was proud anyway. It's hard not to grab this old rifle for hunts that don't require hiking steep and long.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I had a ruger m77 mkII 338 win mag that liked to punch a ragged hole. It was my trusted elk rifle and I sold it because I got on this damn pre 64 model 70 bandwagon....

[Linked Image]

I also sold a nice tanger 270 round top because I bought a pre 64 model 70 270 fwt to take its place. It shot damn well for a tanger. The new owner loves it:
[Linked Image]

Another Ruger that surprised me was my .223 rem Hawkeye. It shot almost as good as my varminter:
[Linked Image]

Now, those were bolt action rifles so they should shoot pretty good right? This thread is about "surprising one hole shooters". The one that surprised me the most was my 1961 Winchester model 100 that I glass bed. This was the first group after glass bedding it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You'll want to get those those things "dialed" in before you post any more pics. There is a dumbass that goes around talking sh!!t about targets like that.

Oh ya, he'll probably have something to say about 3 and 5 shots groups not meaning sh!!t also.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Back in 2008 I bought a Sako-barreled Rem 03-A3 chambered to 6mm-250 here in the classifieds. It was priced right, full-length bedded TIGHT into a Monte Carlo Fajen and built by Tennessee BR smith HW Creighton.

When I tore the invoice scotch-taped to the cheekpiece it ripped the finish off. There was pitting all over the barrel & trigger guard, I tossed together random loads using 1x 22-250 cases I bought here, and mounted a cheap Bushnell I had lying around.

My first 3-shot group on paper was covered with a penny, and it makes honest one-hole groups regularly with bullets from 60-90 gr. More impressive IMHO is its ability to put a variety of loads to the same POI allowing me to use 90 gr NBTs for big game & 60 gr Sierra HPs for woodchucks/coyotes without changing scope settings. After that awesome group I refinished the stock and had the barreled action bead blasted & parkerized. It wears a Burris FFII 6x40mm w/ elevation turret.

Both my boys LOVE this rifle; my oldest was hitting 12 ga hulls from 100 yds over the hood of my car at 8 yo. My 10 yo knocked over a pair of boars this past January in Texas with it, killing them each with a single well-placed 90 gr NBT (tho one flopped & got a 2nd). One of my former catechism students took out a gallon milk jug with a single shot at 400 yds. A good buddy took his first public land deer with it, and I've gone crazy with great customer service eradicating woodchucks from the farm fields of my clients.

It's a lug but of all my rifles this is one of maybe 3 that'll never go anywhere. After that initial group I bought 1500 blemished 75 gr Horn HPs here, and am almost through em, as well as the 400-80 gr RP-PSPs I got here. If (or when) I toast the throat I'll likely punch it to 6mm Rem or 6x57 AI, but I'm pretty sure I'll always have a rifle chambered to 6-250. Just a fantastically mild cartridge that's a real joy to shoot. A lot.

A woodchuck at farmer Bob's place: [Linked Image]

First group on paper:

[Linked Image]

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
.338 RUM and a 250 gr Nosler Partition at 100 yds.

[Linked Image]

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
BSA,

Yea, I guess you are right. But for a $300 investment, I was proud anyway. It's hard not to grab this old rifle for hunts that don't require hiking steep and long.

The 788's are damn good rifles and very accurate. One of the most accurate rifles I've ever fired was a triple deuce 788. It was a true "one holer" rifle. One of the reasons I searched and searched to find the lefty 6mm rem I had...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Clarkm
bsa1917hunter.
Nothing says poor workmanship like uneven duck tape -Red Green

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy. ... I'm pulling for ya. We're all in this together!

Hey, I like Red Green. He's an ingenious sombeesh... laugh ... Maybe almost as good as MacGyver... whistle

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by efw
Back in 2008 I bought a Sako-barreled Rem 03-A3 chambered to 6mm-250 here in the classifieds. It was priced right, full-length bedded TIGHT into a Monte Carlo Fajen and built by Tennessee BR smith HW Creighton.

When I tore the invoice scotch-taped to the cheekpiece it ripped the finish off. There was pitting all over the barrel & trigger guard, I tossed together random loads using 1x 22-250 cases I bought here, and mounted a cheap Bushnell I had lying around.

My first 3-shot group on paper was covered with a penny, and it makes honest one-hole groups regularly with bullets from 60-90 gr. More impressive IMHO is its ability to put a variety of loads to the same POI allowing me to use 90 gr NBTs for big game & 60 gr Sierra HPs for woodchucks/coyotes without changing scope settings. After that awesome group I refinished the stock and had the barreled action bead blasted & parkerized. It wears a Burris FFII 6x40mm w/ elevation turret.

Both my boys LOVE this rifle; my oldest was hitting 12 ga hulls from 100 yds over the hood of my car at 8 yo. My 10 yo knocked over a pair of boars this past January in Texas with it, killing them each with a single well-placed 90 gr NBT (tho one flopped & got a 2nd). One of my former catechism students took out a gallon milk jug with a single shot at 400 yds. A good buddy took his first public land deer with it, and I've gone crazy with great customer service eradicating woodchucks from the farm fields of my clients.

It's a lug but of all my rifles this is one of maybe 3 that'll never go anywhere. After that initial group I bought 1500 blemished 75 gr Horn HPs here, and am almost through em, as well as the 400-80 gr RP-PSPs I got here. If (or when) I toast the throat I'll likely punch it to 6mm Rem or 6x57 AI, but I'm pretty sure I'll always have a rifle chambered to 6-250. Just a fantastically mild cartridge that's a real joy to shoot. A lot.

A woodchuck at farmer Bob's place: [Linked Image]

First group on paper:

[Linked Image]

That is a very cool old rifle.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You'll want to get those those things "dialed" in before you post any more pics. There is a dumbass that goes around talking sh!!t about targets like that.

Oh ya, he'll probably have something to say about 3 and 5 shots groups not meaning sh!!t also.

LOL... It made me laugh

Last edited by 79S; 08/08/15.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Thanks man its a really special rifle for me & my boys.

It has been a fantastic teacher for us that the best way to learn to shoot... Is to shoot! Also that we tend to be over-scoped. This started out w/ an El Paso-built K6 and now has a FFII 6x40 and I've NEVER felt under-scoped.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SuperCub

[Linked Image]

760 ? A Remington "PUMP"? ! ! confused

Everybody knows that ONLY bolt actions shoot that good. whistle

I have a Rem M 6 - 6mm RM that serves as my 'varmint' rifle yet I've killed more deer with it than varmints. It has accounted for a few coyotes (yotes) and crows.

I have & have had several M 6 270s that have killed a few truck loads of WT deer.

Don't sell the pumps short ! !

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just bought a new Thompson Center Ventura in 270 WSM. It was a display model so I got it for $300.00 Bought a box of factory Remington 130 gr. C.L. First 3 shot group was .360" at a 100 yards. Love the gun.Not very pretty but she can shoot.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Word got out 30 years ago that I could shoot and zero a gun,I had my own 1, 2 and 300 yard range on my airstrip runway, you folks will not believe how many people would buy a Weatherby, S%B or high dollar scope and ask me to mount and zero it! All wanted to go to their favorite deer stand and one shot a whitetail buck! I did not mind I just could not understand why they did not want to do the shooting themselves. Its like flying or frigging its takes practice to get good! v best winpoor

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 257Bob, 222Sako, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,649 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,965
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.