-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watching you get yourself out of this one, a topic that you already admit you know NOTHING about save for a little "browsing" is going to be fun.

Carry on.

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
You go further left by the day.

No surprise, really, but it's becoming quite obvious.

My own personal troll (insert eyeroll icon again).

ALL lion hunting in South Africa is of captive bred and raised lions...

http://www.sportsafield.com/content/second-hand-lions

It happens at least a couple of times at the major hunters' conventions. I'm shown a picture of a magnificent lion, so resplendent in mane that it is extremely unlikely that it's a wild lion. Of course it's a South African lion, so now there is little doubt about the actual circumstances.....

So why do some hunters and outfitters feel the need to lie about it, and why do other hunters feel the need to apologize for it? The captive-reared lion industry is major in South Africa.... there are several thousand lions in hundreds of private breeding programs, the sole purpose of which is to provide mature males for visiting hunters.

I got no problem with this sort of thing any more than I do with it in Texas, long as the animal is raised and dispatched humanely/

Botswana outlawing most hunting? 2014.

http://www.businessinsider.com/afp-botswanas-marauding-elephants-trigger-hunting-ban-debate-2015-5

Tshekedi Khama, Botswanan environment minister, said the tourism industry was the way forward.

"Hunters only employ people during the hunting season. (Tourism) is throughout the year, that's why we prefer it."

Hunting of almost all animals -- by bushmen as well as overseas visitors -- was banned by the Botswanan government to halt the decline of springbok and other species hit by habitat loss and illegal hunting.

At best what this ban could amount to is a once-in-forever opportunity to compare unhunted vs. hunted wild lion populations in similar settings, and to regulate harvests accordingly. Tho I personally don't believe this ban will last very long.

On the sustainability of wild lion harvest, an excellent paper here.....

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0073808

Several studies have demonstrated that excessive trophy harvests have driven lion population declines..... Problems include: unscientific bases for quota setting; excessive quotas and off-takes in some countries; fixed quotas which encourage over-harvest; and lack of restrictions on the age of lions that can be hunted. Key interventions needed to make lion hunting more sustainable, include implementation of: enforced age restrictions; improved trophy monitoring; adaptive management of quotas and a minimum length of lion hunts of at least 21 days.

And as for benefitting the locals, do you really think the hefty fees paid in a place like Zimbabwe for a lion permit actually filter down much to the grass roofs level?

Birdwatcher

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Seen through eyes jaundiced by almost 70 years of watching bureaucratic corruption, here's what's happening:

Someone or somemany high up in the Zim government (his/their pockets overflowing with money stolen from hunting fees) does NOT want any light shone on him/them. They especially will not admit that these hunts were approved and sanctioned by them solely through bribes and fee skimming.

So, they will now "discover" that the hunts were illegal. Doesn't matter if every permit, every fee, every form was filled to the last dotted "i". They'll find a guilty party as far from their desks as possible. Meaning the hunter, and then (if things get too hot for the bureaucrats) the PHs.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mike,

If you really want to know anything about African hunting and conservation, you have your opportunity learn (and maybe a bit beyond "browsing") -

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10232948/Education_required,_gentlemen#Post10232948

I sincerely doubt, though, that you want to learn much at all as you've clearly already made up your mind about all the "facts" from your "browsing".

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been browsing up on the topic.

No surprise that in a place like Zimbabwe very little of the hefty fees charged filter back to the locals.

The other thing that emerges is there really ain't a true "sticks" there anymore, meaning anything like unknown wilderness as we understand the term. This was pretty much the way it was in West Africa when I was there too.

Most hunting was recently outlawed in Botswana, but it is significant that most of the male lions filmed twenty years back there by that famous Belgian couple the Jouberts ("Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas" were ultimately shot by trophy hunters, meaning just as photographers' vehicles could get back there, so could arranged hunts.

Same appears to be true in Zimbabwe. Interesting stuff on the internet about lion populations vs. wild lion harvest. Only about one in eight male lions survive to become pride males, and shooting one pride male often means the subsequent doom/displacement of its brother(s) and killing of the cubs by rival males.

A contention is, given all of the above, that the present levels of take of wild lions is not sustainable. It is interesting to ponder how we here in the US would manage lion populations and the hunting thereof if they were a native species over here.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens to lion and other wildlife populations in Botswana now that hunting is strictly limited.

Old news to many here I'm sure, but apparently ALL lion hunting in South Africa amounts to put and take at best, and plainly canned hunts at worst. However these captive bred and raised lions commonly make better-looking trophies, not having had to survive the tough school of hard knocks necessary to survive to maturity among their wild brethren.

Birdwatcher

Less than a week ago, others were uniquely qualified to comment on lion hunting, and now you're a friggin' expert because you've "browsed" it.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10208532/1/Shooting_Cecil_the_Lion

Carry on, with your "in depth" research...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4ager

Less than a week ago, others were uniquely qualified to comment on lion hunting, and now you're a friggin' expert because you've "browsed" it.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/10208532/1/Shooting_Cecil_the_Lion

Carry on, with your "in depth" research...

Ya, I was on that thread, and on the Africa board too. Also see the AR Africa forums.

But anyways, its not MY in-depth research, its Craig Boddington's, and the Mammal Research Institute, University of Pretoria, South Africa.

These people put stuff down in writing so people like you and me can read it.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well, you're a veritable "expert" on hunting and conservation now that you've "browsed" it.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
fwiw the PH, stated in his Testimony that they did indeed have all of the required permits. I have to wonder if the whole thing is BS it really was a legit, legal hunt, but the Zim. Govt figures they can exploit money out of retards

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
fwiw the PH, stated in his Testimony that they did indeed have all of the required permits. I have to wonder if the whole thing is BS it really was a legit, legal hunt, but the Zim. Govt figures they can exploit money out of retards

Given the corruption of Zimbabwe, this would seem quite likely.

Yet, we should probably defer to the "wisdom" of our expert "browser" on all subjects concerning hunting and conservation in Africa.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
It is hard to say what is happening in Zimbabwe, but the practical effect is going to be that only the semi-retarded will schedule hunts in Zimbabwe in the future. It would appear that there might be two part fees in the future. First there is the fee for killing whatever it is want to kill. Then there is the fee when they "discover" that you killed it illegally.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's been a fact that safari dollars that went into Zim have been supporting Mugabe for years. Why anyone would think any part of that a good idea is beyond me.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't have something to do with trying to run white PHs and outfitters out of business. Then, they'll give the concessions to blacks. Ha, ha, if that happens, for the right dollars they'll let you shoot an entire pride of lions. There will be no rules.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Spot on!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they have truly outlawed lion hunting then what will happen to all the lions they now have/raising for hunts? If they are killed because they can not afford to feed them now then the liberals will be responsible for hundreds of dead lions.

Last edited by mtnsnake; 08/03/15.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Been browsing up on the topic.

No surprise that in a place like Zimbabwe very little of the hefty fees charged filter back to the locals.

The other thing that emerges is there really ain't a true "sticks" there anymore, meaning anything like unknown wilderness as we understand the term. This was pretty much the way it was in West Africa when I was there too.

Most hunting was recently outlawed in Botswana, but it is significant that most of the male lions filmed twenty years back there by that famous Belgian couple the Jouberts ("Eternal Enemies: Lions and Hyenas" were ultimately shot by trophy hunters, meaning just as photographers' vehicles could get back there, so could arranged hunts.

Same appears to be true in Zimbabwe. Interesting stuff on the internet about lion populations vs. wild lion harvest. Only about one in eight male lions survive to become pride males, and shooting one pride male often means the subsequent doom/displacement of its brother(s) and killing of the cubs by rival males.

A contention is, given all of the above, that the present levels of take of wild lions is not sustainable. It is interesting to ponder how we here in the US would manage lion populations and the hunting thereof if they were a native species over here.

Anyways, it will be interesting to see what happens to lion and other wildlife populations in Botswana now that hunting is strictly limited.

Old news to many here I'm sure, but apparently ALL lion hunting in South Africa amounts to put and take at best, and plainly canned hunts at worst. However these captive bred and raised lions commonly make better-looking trophies, not having had to survive the tough school of hard knocks necessary to survive to maturity among their wild brethren.

Birdwatcher

You go further left by the day.

No surprise, really, but it's becoming quite obvious.

This. I responded over on the Africa thread: link

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pardon my cynicism, but my guess is that there will be more and more of these illegal hunting stories as long as it is politically and economically advantageous to Zimbabwe to claim them.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gitem_12

Given the corruption of Zimbabwe, this would seem quite likely.

Yet, we should probably defer to the "wisdom" of our expert "browser" on all subjects concerning hunting and conservation in Africa.

The bottom line to THIS particular lion hunt centers on ONE issue. The quota by which this lion was taken was for a different concession, it's that simple. Everything else, according to the rules was legit. One CAN:
1. Legally take a lion with a bow (in certain areas)
2. Bait lions (or leopards)and entice them out of national parks
3. You can take a collared animal provided he is on your license you have a CITES permit (if a USA hunter)

Zim depends on the safari industry for currency A LOT and even Mugabe realizes this, that is why there are practically ZERO incidents involving hunters. This whole thing was started by the Liberal Limey press.

Now, the Marxist in the white house might have other ideas and HE can destroy the industry with the stroke of a pen and an executive order.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If Zimbabwe want to stick a fork in big game hunting, go for it. Mugabe has already unleashed tremendous misery upon his people and has expunged the whites from the country. Big game hunting provides huge $$ into the local economies. If they pursue this, there won't be a hunter with half a brain that will go to Zimbabwe. Especially when the problem is likely linked to local corrupt officials.

I'll gladly take my money to other countries.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
A new extortion scheme which will hurt them in the long run. The press mentions nothing about Zim corruption and won't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I seriously, SERIOUSLY doubt Boddington is against lion hunting. Now if you are referring to CANNED lion hunting in RSA, that is an entirely different discussion but the bottom line is, if you ban lion hunting, you will ENSURE their extinction outside national parks and zoos.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by ingwe
I just saw that crap on MSN....before I buy into any of it...somebody correct me...I thought bow hunting for dangerous game was illegal in Zim.....or is it just on certain owned 'lands' or what?

Basically me feeling is that if the media gets a hold of anybody shooting a critter over there, they'll give it an illegal and immoral twist, regardless of circumstance.

I am shocked that anyone anywhere would take the word of any in the zim government or its employ.

Good grief, can't people think!

Idi Amin had more moral fibre than Mugabe and his lot, and Amin had NONE.

You're right the zim.gov saw a way to make a little extra cash off of this hunt, The good doc will be we to buy his way out of it.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (3333vl, 450yukon, 264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 24 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,886
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.