Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Since we are expecting to be able to take delivery of our rifles soon, I figured we ought to have a place to show off how we've outfitted them, load development and of course GAME taken.

Mine probably won't look much different than any of yours, got a VX2 3-9x40 and Talleys coming for it, a pile of mostly Noslers to play with, Lapua brass, a Nevada deer tag and a Colorado deer tag to put it to use so we'll see how it goes.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/06/15.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine will start out with a Leupold VXR Patrol Firedot 3x9x40 in Talley's. Nosler and Lapua brass onhand along with bullets by Nosler, Lapua,Barnes,Speer and some GS Customs on order. All scheduled hunts will be archery. Will have to slip a pig hunt in.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Swfa 6x42 in talleys. Barnes, amax and maybe try the gmx.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm curious to see who finds THE load and how it pans out across board.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm not gonna have time for a lot of load development, plus I have a 6.5-06 that needs tending to, so likely the 130 Accubond or 120 BT get a long look to start with.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking 25 guys with 25 sequentially built, identical rifles will most likely be the most interesting thread this place has seen in a long time.

And I'm willing to bet it will make or break the MRC reputation around here and identify those that can handload/shoot vs those that can't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 16bore
I'm thinking 25 guys with 25 sequentially built, identical rifles will most likely be the most interesting thread this place has seen in a long time.

And I'm willing to bet it will make or break the MRC reputation around here and identify those that can handload/shoot vs those that can't.

You have some high hopes for a bulletin board thread ....

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or could be the next Kimber vs Tikka

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J

Who ever won that argument??

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle

Do you think those factors would be variables in the Kimber vs. Tikka argument? whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer

Who ever won that argument??

Coca-Cola

Originally Posted by ingwe

Do you think those factors would be variables in the Kimber vs. Tikka argument? whistle

Never. I read it on Stickapedia.com.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Since we are expecting to be able to take delivery of our rifles soon, I figured we ought to have a place to show off how we've outfitted them, load development and of course GAME taken.

Mine probably won't look much different than any of yours, got a VX2 3-9x40 and Talleys coming for it, a pile of mostly Noslers to play with, Lapua brass, a Nevada deer tag and a Colorado deer tag to put it to use so we'll see how it goes.

I bought one of the Cabelas clearance VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS for mine.... sitting in the safe waiting for the rifle. I need to order Talley's for it. Are they Model 70 Winchester Talley's?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yes!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oakster

I bought one of the Cabelas clearance VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS for mine.... sitting in the safe waiting for the rifle. I need to order Talley's for it. Are they Model 70 Winchester Talley's?

Yes even the same part number is listed on the talley website for both 1999s and m70s

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
4.5 x 14 vx3
142 ablr
Talleys
RL 17
Lapua brass

Should work...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Think I can run extra lows with a 40mm scope?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wishing I hadn't jumped on the CTR before these were announced...

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The first rifle just came in the door! I sent and email to VaHunter.....his time stamp was first!

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Post a pic of the final results please. Want to know what to expect.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SAS - I know you're busy, but wondering if you had a chance to throw it on a scale?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
The first rifle just came in the door! I sent and email to VaHunter.....his time stamp was first!

Great news!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by cast10K
SAS - I know you're busy, but wondering if you had a chance to throw it on a scale?

This one is 7.0lbs dead on the money according to our postal scale.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Very Nice!

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looks good. A little surprised about the weight.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Hot damn, that's what I'm talking about. Thanks for the photo SAS. We'll see what offering # 3 looks like. Making some room in the safe, moving some projects along.
Cheers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
7 lbs? Few ounces heavier than I thought. Oh well,still going to be a sweet rig. Looks sharp.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks nice about a half a pound heavier then I figured they would be.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I like that extra half a pound. I'll take one off someone's hands if you don't want it... smile

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
The extra 8 ounces are a bit of a drag but I am excited to get mine anyway. Maybe in group buy number 3 we could figure out a way to get the weight down a bit similar to their high country series?

A 6 pound 270 would be very nice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't see how that would happen with a beefy M70'esque action. Maybe a balsa wood stock. Reckon Kimber figured it out, but an extra 8 oz isn't nothing good boots can't fix.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
PTG alloy bottom metal should save about 6 ounces.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Pretty funny those that complain About 1/2 lb. At 61 years of age I spend plenty of time being healthy and keeping my weight down so I can carry my rifle where it / we need to go. Have a few that weight less if need be, so far my rifle hasn't slowed me down. Lucky me? Looking forward to my new 260 coming my way.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't see how that would happen with a beefy M70'esque action. Maybe a balsa wood stock. Reckon Kimber figured it out, but an extra 8 oz isn't nothing good boots can't fix.

Some extra ounces in that longish barrel cylinder. 7 pounds isn't bad though. My pre64 is 7.5 pounds scoped.

Attached Images
M70 6.5-06.jpg (26.62 KB, 235 downloads)
Last edited by MikeS; 08/14/15.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My post 64 270 is 8# and change in a BC with a 22" barrel. My M700 7RM is 8# on the nose in a standard fill Mcmillan and 24". Both with Talley's and 6x42's.

Had a 270WSM Montana and you couldn't give me another once I got my hands on the 7RM.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Starting to get anxious. 1st one in on the 12th. Believe mine was #4 or so. Home sick and nothing to focus on. LOL.

J
J
Hi all, I am new to this forum but I have been following this thread as I have a MRC X2 on order in 7mm-08. I am wondering if anyone has any pictures of the gray stock color as I talked with Matt at MRC and he only had an up close picture of the butt end and it almost looked black. He assured me that it is a medium gray color but I was just hoping to see a full stock photo before it's too late to change the color of it. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pics seem to be pretty scarce of the X2 new grey stocks. I have the same rifle you ordered on order now expected to be to me in a few weeks. A friend of mine has a 25-06 that has been shipped and is in transit. If im at the office next week when it arrives I will take a few pics of it for you.

J
J
Thanks! I appreciate that..

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Six more shipped Friday. That's a total of 8 so far. We'll send emails on Tuesday notifying the next 6 in line!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looking good. Not a huge deal, but did they ditch the grey webbing? Was thinking they were supposed to be black/grey webbed?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Good catch. I don't think it got replaced with a B&C though.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/19/15.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Mine's on it's way, I'll weigh it too. Have a short action Winchester synthetic stock that I could probably weigh for comparison too.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine is on the truck for delivery. I'll try to shoot it this weekend but I have fishing to do!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boyds makes a Barracudda" stock for the rimfires. If they made it for the centerfire, it would drop 10 - 12 oz right there.

Last edited by David_Walter; 08/20/15.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not sure I could live with myself with that stock on this rifle.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1/2 a stock. No thanks here.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I got an email from Eric today. Mine will be shipping soon.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
My FFL just called and they have my rifle. I will pick it up tomorrow and will report on fit and finish. I have so many commitments over the next several days that it may be late next week before I can get it set up and shot.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My FFL will take delivery Tue the 25th paperwork and a 10 day wait and then.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Alright fellas. My MRC .260 shipped today and I need to get it ready for my Mountain Goat hunt starting in 2 weeks. I am going to take the leap and try Talley mounts on this rifle. I have never owned Talley's before so a little guidance would be appreciated. I will be putting a Leupold Vx-2 3-9x40 on it.

I believe these are what I want.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount/Montana/1-Montana-1999-%28Low%29-%28Silver%29.aspx

Last edited by RatFink; 08/21/15.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by RatFink
Alright fellas. My MRC .260 shipped today and I need to get it ready for my Mountain Goat hunt starting in 2 weeks. I am going to take the leap and try Talley mounts on this rifle. I have never owned Talley's before so a little guidance would be appreciated. I will be putting a Leupold Vx-2 3-9x40 on it.

I believe these are what I want.

http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/Products/Lightweight-Alloy-Scope-Mount/Montana/1-Montana-1999-%28Low%29-%28Silver%29.aspx

Not sure on the stainless / black options but Amazon.com had the Talley Lightweights for these rifles for $39.00 and free shipping. If you are an Amazon Prime member, you get free 2 day shipping. Just a heads up for those looking for rings with their rifles on the way.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
OK, picked my MRC 260 Rem up today from my FFL. I apologize in advance for not posting pictures. I have taken some of the rifle and I have figured out how to download them to my "new" computer, but I have not learned to post pictures to the campfire. I promise I will learn this soon.

First, overall fit and finish appears excellent.

Second, I do not have an accurate weight scale so that said the rifle weighed a little over 7# on my fishing scale (Boga Grip) which has a very course scale and is only fairly accurate. Rifle is heavy enough in the barrel to make me think it will still be slightly barrel heavy with 16 or 18 oz of scope and base on it, from my experience.

Third, fit and finish of the tang to stock is perfect. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Fourth, Barrel flutes are sharp and clean and are "clocked" perfectly at 12:00 and 6:00 with the action.

Fifth, bottom metal fit is also perfect.

Sixth, barrel is floated back to shank. Gap is even on each side of the barrel with one small area exception (a little picky). I was able to slide three thicknesses of paper in the barrel channel with easy but the barrel does not appear to have that much gap, and it certainly not obvious that the barrel is even floated at first look.

Seventh, recoil pad fit is again perfect.

Eighth, trigger pull averages 3 lb. 2 oz. on my gauge.

Ninth, stock color is uniform. I would call it dark olive with black splatter, for lack of a better description.

Tenth, it took 45# and 30# to remove the front and rear action screws respectfully. I am not sure what the torque recommendation is for this rifle. This was measure on a Wheeler wrench which is not the most accurate available.

Eleventh, the recoil lug and all of the barrel shank has bedding compound. The pad at the front action screw has bedding material on approx. 60% of is surface. There is no bedding in the tang area.

Twelve, Is the only negative I have found in my quick look over. The Mag box is binding between the action and the bottom metal. I am going to shoot it before I work on that problem.

Again, I am sorry for not having pictures. This project is going to force me to up my technology knowledge.

Ed

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks for the heads up Oakster. I just ordered some from Amazon.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I bought a MRC ASR in 7x57 back in the fall. Hav'nt even shot it yet. I'll be interested in hearing how yours shoots.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VaHunter
OK, picked my MRC 260 Rem up today from my FFL. I apologize in advance for not posting pictures. I have taken some of the rifle and I have figured out how to download them to my "new" computer, but I have not learned to post pictures to the campfire. I promise I will learn this soon.

First, overall fit and finish appears excellent.

Second, I do not have an accurate weight scale so that said the rifle weighed a little over 7# on my fishing scale (Boga Grip) which has a very course scale and is only fairly accurate. Rifle is heavy enough in the barrel to make me think it will still be slightly barrel heavy with 16 or 18 oz of scope and base on it, from my experience.

Third, fit and finish of the tang to stock is perfect. This is a pet peeve of mine.

Fourth, Barrel flutes are sharp and clean and are "clocked" perfectly at 12:00 and 6:00 with the action.

Fifth, bottom metal fit is also perfect.

Sixth, barrel is floated back to shank. Gap is even on each side of the barrel with one small area exception (a little picky). I was able to slide three thicknesses of paper in the barrel channel with easy but the barrel does not appear to have that much gap, and it certainly not obvious that the barrel is even floated at first look.

Seventh, recoil pad fit is again perfect.

Eighth, trigger pull averages 3 lb. 2 oz. on my gauge.

Ninth, stock color is uniform. I would call it dark olive with black splatter, for lack of a better description.

Tenth, it took 45# and 30# to remove the front and rear action screws respectfully. I am not sure what the torque recommendation is for this rifle. This was measure on a Wheeler wrench which is not the most accurate available.

Eleventh, the recoil lug and all of the barrel shank has bedding compound. The pad at the front action screw has bedding material on approx. 60% of is surface. There is no bedding in the tang area.

Twelve, Is the only negative I have found in my quick look over. The Mag box is binding between the action and the bottom metal. I am going to shoot it before I work on that problem.

Again, I am sorry for not having pictures. This project is going to force me to up my technology knowledge.

Ed

Good to know, I could probably wait a few more days for mine to arrive, but I'm curious what the diameter at the muzzle is and if they put on a heavier contour than normal when they fluted it.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
exbiologist,

The muzzle is .608" and it has a shank that is 1.81" long and it tapers fairly quickly for the shank. In looking at it I would say it is a No. 2 Pacnor size. It is smaller than the No. 3 Pacnor I have on a 35 whelen.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gotcha!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Picked mine up today and VaHunter is right, the fit and finish is well above average. Can't wait to get it set up and to the range. Come on cooler weather!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

No sign of gray splatter on the stock, but it looks good to me as is.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's mine. 3-9x40 VX2. Talleys. When naked, using the bathroom scale I came up with several weights between 7.1 and 7.4 pounds. Certainly heavier than I had hoped. I may look into shedding a few ounces with aluminum bottom metal.

Hoping to shoot it, but the Lapua brass I ordered doesn't fit the chamber without sizing, so I'm going to have to do that tonight before I can take her out.
[Linked Image]

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Talley lows?

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
I have installed Talley Lightweight lows on mind with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd think the only way to get that sub 7# done is an edge stock, blind mag. and featherweight contour barrel.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Supposedly the Edge stock will weigh pretty similar to this stock. Mostly though, it's a heavy action, which we knew, and a heavier than i would have guessed barrel. Should make for a sweet shooter and quibbling over half a pound is kinda pointless.
And yes Talley lows

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
At ~7.25 naked, you're looking at 8.5 lbs. or thereabouts "ready to hunt" with scope, mounts, sling, and ammo.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When naked, using the bathroom scale I came up with several weights between 7.1 and 7.4 pounds.

There was no need to take your clothes off before weighing the gun. The totals would still be the same before and after! grin

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Sure there was, lots of comparisons need to be made side by side. Didn't want anything too girthy.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Sure there was, lots of comparisons need to be made side by side. Didn't want anything too girthy.

It sounds like you gave it a good once over, a real proper fondling.

Thanks for sparing us the pics.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Well yeah, I mean I haven't shaved in over a month

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am guessing that the majority of buyers will be hunting from a stand where weight matters not.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Not I, but still one of the lighter rifles that I own, especially in stainless. For some dumb reason , those are all on the heavier end in my arsenal.
Did shoot it a little bit today, but got called away while still sighting in. Sure is nice light recoil. But that's about all I can say.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The MRC action, like the pre-64 action it is modeled on, is a heavy action from the get-go. Worrying about ounces when choosing that action is pointless.

I'm saving up my pennies for an MRC short-action 7x57, should be just about perfect and I don't care about a few extra ounces. I don't hunt from a stand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Think I can run extra lows with a 40mm scope?

Can anyone speak to this? Talley extra lows? Assuming no, based on exbiologist's pic.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by EdM
I am guessing that the majority of buyers will be hunting from a stand where weight matters not.

No stand hunting for me, most likely walking in the Black Hills or driving the prairies of Wyoming! Might be able to use it a bit for a coyote or two!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Mine shipped today. Time to order rings. I need to decide between 1" or 30mm because I have a vx-3 3.5-10 or a SS 3-9 on the shelf and I need to decide between the two.

Bb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Here are Talley lows with a NF 42mm objective.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Jeff, thanks so much for that picture! Exact scope I will be running.

Edit: Is that rifle a long action? I can't read the caliber engraving.

Last edited by whitebread; 08/27/15.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by EdM

No stand hunting for me, most likely walking in the Black Hills or driving the prairies of Wyoming! Might be able to use it a bit for a coyote or two!

I suspect you are not in the majority

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by whitebread
Jeff, thanks so much for that picture! Exact scope I will be running.

Edit: Is that rifle a long action? I can't read the caliber engraving.

Short action - 260.

I've gone back to using a pic rail with Nightforce ultralight low rings.

The Talleys work fine, and yield the lowest weight, but the pic rail is convenient to swap and go to higher magnification for load testing, and I just have more confidence in the pic rail with NF rings not breaking.

I've been very happy with my MRC's.

You're welcome.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by EdM

I suspect you are not in the majority

All "stands" are 50 yards from the truck. If the rifle was a pound lighter, a fella could hike in further.

That's some funny schit.....

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So, have any been to the range yet? And if so what are the first impressions? Mines at my FFL and am to damn busy to get there for a bit yet.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yeah but only fired four shot before being called away. May try to squeeze a few more off around lunch today.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
When are the LH versions coming in? I have my Talley Lightweight Extra Lows and a 3-9x40 Conquest waiting to be mounted.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I should have ordered one of these. If someone decides they don't want their right handed MRC 260 special, let me know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I figured this thread would be full of load data and cloverleaf targets by now...

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Mine is still sitting at my FFl while he is out oftown

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Was waiting for cooler weather, but I couldn't wait any longer. Overall I think the MRC is showing real potential.

Range conditions were far from ideal with temperature around 85F and an angling crosswind from the south at 15-20 mph.

The load I used was developed for a Kimber and it consists of 47.5 grs RL19 under a 120gr Nosler BT giving an average of 2914 fps out of the Kimber.

The other shots seen in the pic are from sight-in. The three shot group was fired one after the other with no cooling off in between. The third shot went a bit high and right and was most likely due to heat, wind and the half blind old shooter. The barrel was quite warm after the third shot.

With cooler temps I think it will do just fine.

[Linked Image]

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Picked my rifle up today from my FFL. Awesome looking rig. I will mount my scope tonight and try to hit the range tomorrow evening. If I can get it dialed in, it just might get to shoot a Mountain Goat this weekend.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I got an e-mail from Eric, my lefty is being shipped today.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I've started load development, has anyone else. I haven't found one worth posting yet but I'm only 30 rounds in and it's been really windy here. One 140 amax load was sub moa everything has been sub 2 moa. I've only tried one powder and charge weight so far with a few different 140's and 142's. Copper fouling has dropped way off after a few cleanings. I think it's got potential and I'll try different charges next time out and then maybe play with seating depths more. I started with h4350 which my other 260 likes but a half grain change in charge weight with the other one can mean a 2 moa drops to 1/2 moa.

Rifle seems well put together and it feeds well. I also love the extra mag box space. It's cool to be able to kiss the lands with a 140 vld and feed from a short action. If I could get the wind to drop to where it's at least not blowing my cleaning solution bottle off the bench I'll see what this thing can do.

Bb

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have the XWR in 1:9" and posted several loads in the 260 load thread in reloading data.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9794132/12

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Brand new EGW 0 MOA rail for the MRC rifle. $30 shipped.
Thanks, Jim

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So, I've tried two different loads now and can see this isn't going to be a simple plug and play. Something is causing weird fliers, but I can see the potential is there.
Haven't really gotten very happy with this yet.

Also damndest thing... when I switched from 120 NBTs to 142 LRAB, the POI was about 8 inches lower on the LRAB at 100.

Would not have expected such a drastic difference.

5 shot 142 LRAB
[U[Linked Image]

Probably would have been happy with this 20 years ago, 120 NBT

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Just got mine in but haven't shot it. Looks feels and balances great and iis couple ounces below 7 pounds. I am going to start with 130 Accubonds and H4350.

V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Ok, against my better judgement I went thru about 1/2 of the break-in procedure that MRC recommended. I have never done this before to any great degree, I have cleaned barrels on new guns a little more frequently thru the first 40 or 50 rounds though.

So anyway I wasted 30 rounds yesterday and spent 6 hours on the range, I may continue the last 20 round procedure at my next range session. I did not have any brass to reload rounds so I purchased some Fed Premium 140 gr Gamekings for the break-in and to get some brass. The first ten rounds (cleaning every round) went into about a 4" group, which I thought was fairly good a clean bore new barrel. When I started shooting the 5 round procedure I shot 2 rounds to foul the barrel and 3 for group. To my suppress the 3 shot groups were around 1" with some a little over and a couple a little under. I did let the barrel cool approximately 5 minutes between the 3 rounds.

If I can shoot 1.25" groups with a factory load with less than 30 rounds thru the barrel I think the gun will be a great shooter whens loads are worked up for the gun.

Now I am not endorsing the break-in procedure, I just elected to do it to see what the rifle would do and to get some brass to work with. I could have shot just as good or better by just firing rounds with a little time for barrel cooling.

Note, at 64 years old I don't have the best eyes in the world.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Was't expecting to see reports on "load development" and "barrel break-in"..... I thought we'd have a dozen 3/4" groups and some dead critters by now.

I did the fire 37 shots then clean method of break-in on my most recent new rifle acquisition.... meaning, I took it outta the box, wiped it down, and shot it 37 times. By the time those 37 shots had been fired, there were a couple groups in the 1/2"-3/4" range.... first round hits made from 200 yards to a 1/2 mile.... and about 25 horribly nuked prairie dog carcasses. I did clean it when I got home.....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Some 6.5 stuff in the classifieds if anyone is looking...

130 NABs, 120 TTSX, 108 Scenars

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Ok, against my better judgement I went thru about 1/2 of the break-in procedure that MRC recommended. I have never done this before to any great degree, I have cleaned barrels on new guns a little more frequently thru the first 40 or 50 rounds though.

So anyway I wasted 30 rounds yesterday and spent 6 hours on the range, I may continue the last 20 round procedure at my next range session. I did not have any brass to reload rounds so I purchased some Fed Premium 140 gr Gamekings for the break-in and to get some brass. The first ten rounds (cleaning every round) went into about a 4" group, which I thought was fairly good a clean bore new barrel. When I started shooting the 5 round procedure I shot 2 rounds to foul the barrel and 3 for group. To my suppress the 3 shot groups were around 1" with some a little over and a couple a little under. I did let the barrel cool approximately 5 minutes between the 3 rounds.

If I can shoot 1.25" groups with a factory load with less than 30 rounds thru the barrel I think the gun will be a great shooter whens loads are worked up for the gun.

Now I am not endorsing the break-in procedure, I just elected to do it to see what the rifle would do and to get some brass to work with. I could have shot just as good or better by just firing rounds with a little time for barrel cooling.

Note, at 64 years old I don't have the best eyes in the world.

I have learned to not trust a rifle's accuracy until I have 100 rounds and 4-6 cleanings through the barrel. In fact, I think most barrel's accuracy improves until it hits about 100 rounds. My anecdotal not scientific experience suggests that the shoot one and clean break in method speeds this process up with many rifles shooting well at 10-20 rounds. It is tedious, though.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Picked my rifle up today from my FFL. Awesome looking rig. I will mount my scope tonight and try to hit the range tomorrow evening. If I can get it dialed in, it just might get to shoot a Mountain Goat this weekend.

RF, Any range or hunting reports yet?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've owned three MRC's in the recent past. All three shot exceptionally well. I didn't get a group buy 260, but may lay claims to one if something falls through with a buyer in the next few days.

I will say I've not shot a MRC in the new stock -- only fondled them. We have a 7-08 on the shelf. I picked it up to play with it a bit and noticed the tang was a little proud. I took it in my office to see what was going on and the action screws weren't very tight -- probably around 20 inch pounds. I snugged it up and all was good.

I'd not be alarmed by this and I'm sure most on here pop the rifle out of the stock before shooting anyway (I can't imagine not checking things out underneath before flinging bullets!).

The 7-08 may have been an exception to the rule, but I'd check the action screws before heading out to shoot. I know most of you will anyway...

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Darrik - what did you use for torque values for the action screws? Does MRC have a recommendation on this?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven

RF, Any range or hunting reports yet?

Not yet. I have acquired 40 rounds of Nosler 130 grain AB's factory ammo and now I just have to find the time to hit the range. Weekends I am elk hunting and cutting firewood, but I am actually home on the weekdays until mid next week so I anticipate either wednesday or thursday this week I can get to the range. I killed my mountain goat a week ago with my Tikka Superlight, so the urgency to get this rifle ready has waned. I won't need it until late October now. I do want to get it ready sooner than later though. I will report in when I finally get to shoot it.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Congrats on the mountain goat. What area were you hunting?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Down in the Beartooth's. I will try to get a post up soon.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
We have a 7-08 on the shelf. I picked it up to play with it a bit and noticed the tang was a little proud. I took it in my office to see what was going on and the action screws weren't very tight -- probably around 20 inch pounds. I snugged it up and all was good.

I'd not be alarmed by this and I'm sure most on here pop the rifle out of the stock before shooting anyway (I can't imagine not checking things out underneath before flinging bullets!)..

My action screws were almost loose. I snugged them up a bit before heading to the range. I hope to get a bit more time to go out and try a few more loads. We just had our 3rd child on Wednesday so with 3 kids and the oldest being 3 my range trips are going to be even more limited.

Bb

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I just picked up my RH from the FFL today. Mounted a Swarovski Z3 3-9x36 with Talley LWs weight is 8#s2.5oz.I'm pleased with the rifle overall (good thing since I already ordered 2 of the .243s)just a couple of things I don't like. Would have been nice to have ss slings studs and the floorplate rattles a little. I've had good luck with the aluminum floorplates from Pacific Tool on Model 70s so will probably order one should also get the weight under 8#s. I have a couple of different factory loads I'm going to try next week and will then see about working up some handloads.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Just picked my RH up from the FFL this afternoon. First impressions on fit and finish match those already reported. Weighed the rifle (no ammunition in the magazine) on my digital kitchen scale and got 7 lb 5 oz - I have no idea how accurate this scale is so take the weight with a grain of salt.

Checked the barrel free float with a dollar bill and found a little restriction just ahead of the breech end of the flutes for an inch or so. Should be easy to get that out once I have some time to spend on it. Didn't notice the floorplate rattle that hidalgo mentioned - I'm sure these all have their own unique characteristics!!

Picked out 5 random brand new un-sized Laupua .260 brass out of a box of 100 and all chambered easily.

Will be a little while before I can get to the range - have a set of Talley lightweight low's and several sight-in scopes to choose from. Not sure yet on the hunting scope. Looking forward to getting some bullets fired thru it.

First impressions are very positive - hope that's a good sign.

B
Campfire Member
Online Happy
Campfire Member
B
Here are a few pics of my first attempt with my new MRC. I Loaded up some 140 Grain Amax over some H414. I shot this group from 75 yards and it was the first 3 rounds out of the gun.
[Linked Image]

The next day I ran through 3 loads of RL19, 5 loads with H414 both with more 140 grain Amax. I also had 3 loads from Barnes, but none were better than 1.25". Here are the 2 best groups with the H414 with the Amax, one was a little better than .70" and the other was .88".

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Overall, I like this gun and look forward to getting the Barnes to shoot a little better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got in my X2 in 7mm08. This is my first rifle with the 3 position safety. Man is it tough to get it back to safe from the fire position.goes easily from safe to fire. Just curious if this is a common with this type of safety, if you all with the 260s notice the same trait. I have a bud that got in a 25-06 a few weeks ago. Same thing. Wondering if it will work a bit easier over time.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I noticed the same thing with moving the safety lever rearward from "fire" to the mid position on my .260. Cycled it a couple dozen times and it seemed to be a little easier - but maybe I was just getting used to it?? The only other safety like this I've had was on a well used pre-64 Model 70. It was noticeable when moving from the safety lever but nothing like this new MRC.

Interested like Boarmaster123 to hear from others if this gets better - my rifle will be used eventually by a grandson who may struggle a little if it does not improve.

Overall it's a nitpick - still really like this rifle for its intended purpose.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks other than that my comments would mimic the others. I can make my trap door rattle if I try. I probably wouldnt have even noticed it if. Not previously mentioned. Other than that the rifle seems well built and fit and finish is excellent. I had them shorten the barrel to 22. Hopefully it shoots.It cycles great.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
I had them shorten the barrel to 22.

Was it not 22" to start with? Haven't measured mine and can't at the moment, but I'm fairly positive these were supposed to be made w' 22" tubes.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Scroll up, he got one of the standard 7-08's, not a 260.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep. Members Bull & Boar ran together on me...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Took my new mrc 260 to the range for the first time. Very pleased with it so far. Shot two sub moa groups with factory ammo at 100 yard paper target. Then shot groups of around 2 inches at steel target at 270 yards.
I fired 20 rounds in less than 25 minutes and never paused to let the barrel cool. Saw no signs of shift of point of impact or tendency to string groups. No failures to feed or function of any kind. Fit and finish were very nice and the trigger is a joy. Also had no issues with the safety and it was quiet which is always a good thing for me. Not set up to post pics right now but I can email them if anybody wants to post them for me.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Started load work up with mine. Everything sub-moa or close so far. Last group with 4 130 Accubonds and H4350 went an inch exactly with three in 3/8". I think I may start fine tuning that load.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My best group was with the 130 grain nosler accubond too. What velocity and charge weight are you at with h4350?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Took the bad boy out. General zero and shot bullets from the Nosler LRA 142, the Lapua 123 Scenar ,117 GS Customs and Fusion 120 factory.
123 Scenars shined today. 46.0 grains of H 4350 .034 off the lands@ about 2900 fps. 4 shots went .371 5th went out to 1.077. Muzzle blast next bench was a bitch. Was shooting off sandbags today. Quite pleased and looking forward to trying the heaver Scenars. My 260 goes 8.4 up trigger is at 3.0 lbs. I likely.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
My best group was with the 130 grain nosler accubond too. What velocity and charge weight are you at with h4350?

I only tried 130 Accubonds. Started with 41 grains H4350 and went up to 44. All shot well. I didn't have my chronograph along but will clock the load soon.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I finally settled on a load: 142 LRAB with H4831. Only shooting around an inch to inch and a half at 100, but seems to hold that group size at 200. Gonna have to call that good for now as I'm heading to Nevada tomorrow.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Only shooting around an inch to inch and a half at 100, but seems to hold that group size at 200.

Parallax may be an issue if the group size is the same at 100 and 200.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks I think that I will try that powder.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
First blood for the group buy 260?
Got a little antsy with my time running out so I shot a little one so I could check off another state. Saw bigger during scouting just couldn't make it happen.
182 yards 142 Accubonds made a huge mess
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hey congrats on connecting with one, I'm sure it will eat better than an older more mature rack one would have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats . Good eater.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here is my first range report. I was finally able to get to the range and start shooting my .260. First 10 rounds were getting it dialed in a bit. I then shot some groups. The first one was not great. The second one was a bit better, the third one started to tighten up pretty good. The more I shot the rifle the better the groups got. 20 rounds down the barrel so far. I still want to shrink the group in half of what I got last night, but I need to clean the rifle and start finding a handload. All shots were with Nosler Trophy grade factory ammo with 130 Accubonds. I like the rifle a lot, just need to work up a good load for it. As it stands now I could hunt with it this season.

Attached Images
.260 targetresize.jpg (31.62 KB, 271 downloads)
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If I scaled it right from the computer screen you'll need to get that down to about .34" to halve the group. Tall order maybe?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by mathman
If I scaled it right from the computer screen you'll need to get that down to about .34" to halve the group. Tall order maybe?

Yes it might be tough, but most of my rifles will cloverleaf so naturally I want this one to as well, as it is my flagship rifle. I do want to tighten it up, but I realize I can only get so much out of it. I feel good enough with it as is that I will carry it for elk this season.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just shot my 260 MRC for the first time this morning. I had the same results with Nosler 130 accubonds. Groups got better the more rounds I put through it. The last three shot group was under 1/2" at 50 yds (the only range available)

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cant wait to get my .243¡

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Damn, I missed out on this deal. Anyway to get on the list for the next build?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had my .260 at the range some more. Banging the gongs out to 400 yards in preparation for our rifle elk season which starts on Saturday. What a sweet shooting rifle.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What kind of accuracy are you guys seeing? I had mine out to the range for the first time yesterday and groups started tightening up as I worked up the charge. I still have some additional work to go. Using 130 gr Swifts and RE17.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am getting about .75 moa, 3 shot groups @ 100 yds. Shooting factory Nosler 130 Accubonds. Hopefully gonna shoot minute of elk this weekend.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Range secession #2 had things tightening up the more I shot it. 139 Scenars over 42 grains of H4350 @ 2788 for a best group of.701 at 100 yards.. Stuck in China for another 10 days and will resume fine tuning when I return home. And will have another Whittaker special to throw in the mix. Kimber Montana 308.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
That's the same load that gave me best accuracy with 139 Scenar's. I've settled on 42-H4350

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Goodluck this weekend.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Finally got a full day of hunting in with the .260. I bought this rifle with the intention of it being my all season, all weather, do all rifle. I was very thankful for the stainless metal and synthetic stock yesterday as it was cold, snowy, windy, and just wet from the trees dripping. It carried nicely on the 9.5 mile loop my buddy and I walked. When the time came to make a kill it performed flawlessly. About a 100 yard shot and busted the onside shoulder and through the heart. The bull made it 20 yards and fell over dead. I am very happy with the rifle.

P.S. Something was messed up with my camera so the picture is terrible.

Attached Images
2015 Bull resize.jpg (92.55 KB, 2423 downloads)
Last edited by RatFink; 11/02/15.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Best picture yet of the Campfire .260 yet!

[Linked Image]

Last edited by taylorce1; 11/02/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great pic. Good job.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gun season has been extremely slow at my lease so far. We are surrounded this year by construction crews. To the east and west we have wind generators being built, a new road being built to north and new oil wells to the south.

The few deer I have seen in the daylight have been on the run, but managed to bloody the new Campfire MRC with this young doe. She will eat well and the MRC works. smile

[Linked Image]

Now Ineed some cooler weather, less construction and a rut stupid buck!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well, things improved a bit late yesterday evening as this guy showed himself with 15 minutes of legal light left. On the move at 190 yards it was a quick decision and a more fitting critter for the MRC.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Montana Rifle Company 260 (just the regular one) with a Nightforce 2.5-10x42.

100 grain Barnes TTSX atop H414 = dropped where he stood as did a doe a few minutes later.

Good start on a management program with this big 6 point at a friend's property.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I took a forkhorn on Saturday, at a range of 12 yards (estimate, not lasered) made possible by the fast twist. The little guy nearly ran me over after the shot, but soon crumpled, the CRF while comforting was not called into action. smile

Mine is for sale, btw.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by cast10K; 11/16/15.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I was really hoping to be able to hunt with mine this year. Mine must have been the only lemon of the bunch. I called Darrik immediately after I picked mine up from my FFL in September and he quickly got me a paid postage email to print and send back. Second to none customer service. Hopefully I will get it back within 3 weeks. I'll be able to hunt with it at least one weekend this season if it comes back in that time frame. It doesn't look like it will happen though.

E
ejo Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Was it a mechanical issue or accuracy related? I'm asking because I have been struggling to get a group. Planning to try again tomorrow with a different load.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I never shot it. It was put together poorly, corrosion on the trigger guard and floor plate, stock was discolored, marks on the barrel, tool marks on the feed ramp etc. The owner of the gun store I had the rifle shipped to made a joke that my rifle was completed on a Friday 20 minutes before closing up the shop. He had some other choice words that I will not post. My rifle looks nothing like the rifles everyone is posting pics of. I just hope it comes back looking like it was put together and finished by a professional and shoots cloverleafs. Attention to detail was lacking in the worst way for my rifle.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
With that many problems to overcome, why would you rush the maker to get it back to you for this hunting season? Surely you have other guns and can let the maker take whatever time it takes to make it right? I would suspect that rushing is precisely why it was delivered the way it was.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by pal
With that many problems to overcome, why would you rush the maker to get it back to you for this hunting season? Surely you have other guns and can let the maker take whatever time it takes to make it right? I would suspect that rushing is precisely why it was delivered the way it was.

I never said I wanted them to rush. I said hopefully get it back in time to hunt with it this year. It took 6 months to get it and it has been back at the factory since the beginning of October. I am patiently waiting for it and hope it comes back put together professionally with the attention to detail a rifle of this caliber should have.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used my campfire 260 to take a nice buck yesterday. Can email pics if somebody can help me post them here.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wrapped up my elk season this year with another great hunt using my MRC .260. It was a long day covering over 9 miles round trip in deep snow and climbing a lot of elevation. All the while bucking a nasty wind. But the end result was filling my 2nd elk tag of the season with this rifle. I caught a cow just before dark bedded out in a sagebrush and grassy area they feed in. I was able to close the distance to about 80 yards and killed her in her bed. She never moved. I am so pleased with this rifle and it's wonderful carrying and shooting characteristics.

Now I have until Sunday to find a nice buck to kill with it.

Attached Images
2015cow1resize.jpg (92.59 KB, 229 downloads)
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ruraldoc
I used my campfire 260 to take a nice buck yesterday. Can email pics if somebody can help me post them here.

ruraldoc's picture:

[Linked Image]

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thx for getting the picture up for me. This buck weighed 180 on scales and was180 yards on the laser range finder. I figure that makes him a 180 class buck. I used a 120 grain ballistic tip,hit him center of the shoulder broadside. Bullet existed and he was down right there. But there was a lot of blood under him.
Saw him fall because of the mild recoil, never lost sight of him in my scope. Really the perfect deer rifle for me.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Could a PT&G Model 70 SA aluminum bottom metal unit be put on one of these?

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I put PT&G aluminum bottom metal on mine. Had to trim the stock a little to get it to fit, it was Oberndorf style.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I got my rifle back after sending it back to MRC. It is absolutely flawless. It is perfect. Fit and finish is perfect. Everything that was wrong with it is now fixed. Thank you SAS for the excellent customer service and talking to the guys at MRC about fixing my rifle was so painless. They had my rifle in hand as they talked to me and could see everything I didn't like. They fixed it and sent it back. It looks like they gave me a completely different rifle.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Glad things worked out, even if it took some time and trouble. I'd be real interested in hearing how it shoots when you get to it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Well, cant contribute to this .260 thread, but if you need a heavier hitter, I have a 300wsm that I scoped up with a 3-10 burris and it is a heavier hitter ! Weighs 8 # 14 oz as it currently sits..havent played with it yet cause its just more then i would want to lug..xwr-ss model..you got a lighter rifle out there in a 284 -30 caliber you want to tempt me with via a p.m. ?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I haven't spent a lot of time working up loads but finally got out to shoot today. Below are my best groups at 100 and 300 yards. I've only tried 139 Scenar's and H4350 but have some 123's too.

It definitely shoots better after 30-40 rounds. I'm using a Bushnell LRHS 3-12x with Talley lows. It's a bit on the heavy side but is pleasant to shoot. I probably average 1.25 MOA with this load.

100 yards
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My best load so far is 130 Nosler Accubond over 44.5grs of IMR 4350 for an average of 2895fps.

Firing 3 rounds as fast as I can run the bolt produced a best of 5/8" @ 100. Worst group with that load was a 5 shot at 1.5"

Need to load some more and try some at longer range, but the rifle does seem to be running better after about 40 rounds fired like lochsa mentioned above.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Finally got my Campfire Special .260 out to the range for the first time. Thought I would try IMR 4451 and the Hornady 123 grain A-Max finding some loading info on the at hodgdonreloading.com website for a similar bullet in the same weight. Loaded a few at the minimum charge to get the scope zero'd and several rounds at 1/2 grain increments up to the max of 43.9 grains.

Did the shoot-one-and-clean for the first five rounds as I was getting the scope set a 25 yards, but quickly tired of that! Moved over to the 100 yard target and shot the remainder without cleaning between shots. Best load was 42.0 grains of 4451 with two three-shot groups around a half inch.

[Linked Image]

Two three-shot groups certainly don't mean much, but it was nice to see them early in the process. Also noticed the barrel cleaned up very easily after the range session. Very little copper fouling based on how easily the barrel cleaned up and the dreaded blue color on cleaning patches disappeared. Not sure if it's the copper fouling eliminator in the IMR 4451 or the barrel, but either way it sure made cleaning easier.

Did not take take my chronograph - will get some more loaded at 42.0 grans and get some bullet speeds the next time we get good shooting weather.

One negative I noticed - and this is very much a personal thing that I have not seen anybody else mention - the trigger shoe feels a little uncomfortable to me. Almost like it's a bit too short. The feel of the trigger pull is fine, just seems that the shape is a bit odd. I'm sure I will get used to it.

Last edited by Phil09; 02/07/16.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Has anyone weighed just the x2 stock yet?

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
After reading this thread I had to check out the rifle and pricing. Surprised that an extreme x2 can be had for under$1400. Not bad.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Crazy request: assuming that this is a No 2 contour barrel, would someone mind measuring the diameter of the muzzle for me? I want to compare it to my 24" ASR.

Thanks

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
V
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
V
Mine is .608"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Been a long time in coming, but made it to the range today. Woke up this morning and decided it was going to happen. Mounted up a VX1 2-7 that I had here in Talley lows. Really want a 6X36 FX2 on it, but it'll come in time.

[Linked Image]

Best group pictured below. 120 BT over 46 gr H4350 and a WLR in virgin Norma brass. Just over 3/4" on center.
Worst group was right at 1 3/8" with this load.

[Linked Image]

Also loaded some H4831 in the necked up .243 brass, and it did OK, but not as good as the H4350 loads. Best group was 1 1/8". Worst was just over 1 1/2.
Case was full at max load and not worth the trouble to experiment further with this bullet. Shame as I have more H4831 than anything else.

Overall quite happy with the days results.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Didn't stay out long today as it was miserably cold, cloudy and windy.

But I took 3 different bullets/loads for this rifle and all 3 easily shot well under an inch, and that with a tricky-ass wind.

And one of those loads was the factory federal fusion 120s. The 123 amax was a new experience also, and the 120 ballistic tip was a revisit.

Anybody ever hunt the 123 amax?

"Chances Will Be Taken"

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
i have liked reading this thread

i recently got a mrc 1999 .243 off a mate that is a semi custom build that he hadn't shot much

it is going great with a bit of load development

wish we could get bulk buy rifle deals like this in Aus

All Dogs Bite
All Horses Kick
All Boats Sink
And All Guns Are Loaded
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For those of you who go the vx2 and have been shooting it, what do you think of the stock? How does it point & feel, overall, and in comparison to any McMillans you may have on other rifles?

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'm thinking about selling mine. Does anyone remember what we paid for these? I think it was $1200 or a bit more with the fluted barrel wasn't it? Mines never been hunting but it's been to the range 4-5 times. Maybe 60-80 rounds through it max.

I found a load it really likes and has been shooting around 1/2 Moa with it. It's a 140 vld over 48g of h4831sc. A stout load but this longer mag box lets me seat them to 2.95". They chrony 2810fps. My 24" creedmoor does about the same speed with that bullet and it flattened a 4x4 mule deer at 218 yards a few years back. I think this 140 vld load would do a lot of things well so I'm glad it liked that bullet.

My problem is I really want a kimber Montana in 6.5 creedmoor so I'm thinking I need to sell this 260. What's a fair price range? It pretty much looks new.

Bb

Last edited by Burleyboy; 09/16/16.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I'm thinking about selling mine.

My problem is I really want a kimber Montana in 6.5 creedmoor so I'm thinking I need to sell this 260. What's a fair price range? It pretty much looks new.

Bb

Think about how bad you wanted this rifle and the wait you had for it.

The 6.5 Yonkers intrigues me a bit too, but if I want it I'll save and buy it.

Gotta say my X2 aint' going anywhere without me. Biggest compaint I hear is the weight. The MRC rifle in my hands feels better, and holds better than anything else I've used lately.
Haven't hunted with it yet, but am looking forward to it. We had a hot and wet summer and my shooting slacked off severely. The days I did shoot the X2 has proved itself to be a consistently good performer. And unfussy as to loads as well. Haven't put a load through it that I wouldn't hunt with, accuracy-wise.

I've settled in with the 129 Hornady bullet. Feeling stoked, and there aint' much I wouldn't do with this rifle/load...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No .260 here, but I did grab a .300 RUM over the weekend. I'm encouraged to read these shoot well, so I will be hopeful mine shoots well. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
No .260 here, but I did grab a .300 RUM over the weekend. I'm encouraged to read these shoot well, so I will be hopeful mine shoots well. smile

What do you plan on thumping with that beast?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
elk, nilgai, whatever smile

I think my .300 Roy needs a barrel, although it groups decently and repeatedly from a cold barrel. Even if I barrel it, I don't especially like the stock. I paid less for the 1999 than a barrel & stock would cost me. So I reckon it will become my big stainless .30, and I'll sell the Weatherby.

With big VLD bullets the .300 RUM isn't much worse than the .338 Lapua, for long range wind drift.

R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R

The X2s are excellent rifles, though most will benefit from a good glass bedding job. I have one back at the factory for a barrel change now. I'll probably put it into a McMillan classic edge compact when it's returned. Add a Williams extractor and check for function and you're good to go. As a lefty I'm limited, but I like the Montana.
Bob

87k Offline
I see no one has posted on here in a while. I was thinking about ordering a mrc rifle. No one has posted much about their shooting groups and hand loads in a while. Any updates or improvements from anyone?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just got my hands on a campfire special 260 that had never been out of the plastic. Fit and finish is top notch. I normally bed all my rifles but after seeing and feeling the stock and action fit I left it alone. I did stone the trigger but I'm a trigger snob. I also treated the bore with DBC. To set the DBC I loaded up 10 rounds with 34.5grs. book min and Hornady 129gr. Interlock. First shot hit low right. Adjusted scope and the next 3 went into 1.10" moved scope shot one moved again and the next 4 went into 1.07".
I'm waiting on a order of some 140gr. RDF Nosler's that I'm looking forwards to working with. I'd like to get my hands on some R17 but for now I have plenty other powders to test.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by Les7603006; 01/29/17.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was able to get my 260 out today to fire form some brass and look for a nice light load to introduce my wife to a centerfire other than 5.56 ar.
I worked up from 34.5grs R15 to 38grs. As you can see the load started to shift left at 37grs and blew up to 2.5" with 38grs. I could go higher but there is no need. From 34.5 to 37grs 18 out of 19 shots hit within 1 1/8" from the point of aim.
Even with the 2.5" shotgun pattern the first 10 groups avg. 1.263" throw out the 2.5 and 9 group avg. 1.25".
Pretty much you can pick your recoil level and hunt.
I can't wait to take advantage of the mag box. I picked up a pound of R17 and a box of 142gr. ABLR and I should have 300 Nosler 140gr. RDF in a couple days.
[Linked Image]

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little help from the MRC group please
1)What rings do I need with a 42-44mm scope ?
2)Anyone running 130gr. factory loads with good accuracy ?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good results with Prime Ammo . 130 OTB's

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bwana_1
A little help from the MRC group please
2)Anyone running 130gr. factory loads with good accuracy ?

I have Talley LWs in low on my X2. Scope has a 1 inch tube and 42 obj and its just clearing so not sure if the lows will work with a 44. Might depend on the scope. Safe side I would say mediums if your going Talley LWs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the info guys, need ammo and mounts.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your using Talley LWs they are one piece both ring and mount.Im using Hornady whitetail right now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My .300 RUM does shoot well. smile

[Linked Image]

back off a few grains on the loads, however smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's looking more and more like I missed the boat on the 260 Special...always a day late!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O

[Linked Image]

I bet it's a hoot to shoot from the bench, too... smile

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
RGK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

I have Talley LWs in low on my X2. Scope has a 1 inch tube and 42 obj and its just clearing so not sure if the lows will work with a 44. Might depend on the scope. Safe side I would say mediums if your going Talley LWs.

I also have an X2 with Talley lightweight lows, using a Meopta 6x42. Barely clears. 44mm wouldn't work.
Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig

I bet it's a hoot to shoot from the bench, too... smile

[Linked Image]

Actually, it seems a little less than my .300 Weatherby Mark V Ultralight - though I am sure once I start working with 200's & 210's I may change my opinion. From working with the 8mm Rem Mag and 200's at 3000 fps, I expect recoil won't be trivial.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I suspect either fast .30 will feel like the fist of God on your shoulder, at least when shooting from the bench.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, that would be my .475 Turnbull...which is basically a 9lb .470 Nitro smile

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
I should think so!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did anyone ever get around to putting their X2 in a Mcmillan edge? If so was it worth it?

E
E
T3 Hunter with older VX3 2.5x10. 1/2 groups out of the box with factory Federal 140 SGKs. Working up TTSX loads for it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Now that the MCR 1999 has been on the member's benches for a while, I'd appreciate some advice please.

1) What is the best COAL for consistent cartridge feeding and accuracy ?
2) What 130ish grain bullets for whitetail hunting, would work at the magic COAL and favorite powder charge ?
3) Is everyone pleased with their MRC 1999 Fire 260rem ?

I did a lot of searching, and unfortunately most pictures are gone due to the Photobucket dump.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Bwana, I just noticed your post. It has been a while since you asked, but if you are still interested here goes;

1. The COAL that is working for me is 2.810"

2. I'm using 130gr Nosler Accubond over 44.5 grains of IMR 4350. That is averaging 2895 fps and has resulted in sub 1 inch 3 shot groups out of my Campfire MRC 260. A couple of groups as low as 5/8".

3. I've used this load on 4 or 5 deer so far with good results. All one shot kills. I am very pleased with my MRC and it has become my go to rifle for deer. I like it so much that I bought another MRC in 243 that has become my heavy varmint gun.

Best of luck with yours.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Heard MRC is going to chamber the 6.5 PRC in the X2 line.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by ndhunterman
Heard MRC is going to chamber the 6.5 PRC in the X2 line.

Not only bringing out a 6.5 PRC, but a redesigned X2 called the X3 which is going to be lighter.

NEVER GIVE UP
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (06hunter59, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 50 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,398
Posts18,470,039
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.