Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Don't discount a middle of the road load that produces less recoil. A buddy of mine saved his life fall before last with a 2" 44special shooting 245gr cast bullets at 900fps. Shot a Brooks range grizzly that was in full charge at 12 feet and folded him up, one shot DA to the cranium and it was lights out. He was miles from the road on a backpack sheep hunt, solo, so it truly was life or death.
I've shot through bear and hogs endways with a 245 cast bullet at less than 1100fps.

Winchester white box 240s seem to be some of the sharpest recoiling 44 ammo around to me. And the bullets have a very shallow crimp groove. I don't believe them to be a really good bullet for deep penetration either judging by shooting them into phone books and the like.

Find or load something that works and practice with it.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by mightymatt
A 25 ounce 44 mag sounded like just the ticket when I was shopping for a backcountry carry gun and it is hardly noticed in the Diamond D guides choice holster I got to carry it in. I have spoke with some of the guys at Jays Sporting goods in Gaylord and they thought going to the 300 Grain bullets would slow the recoil impulse and eliminate the crimp jump. I was just hoping there might have been someone here that either had the same gun and or experienced the same issue and had an answer. I appreciate all the feedback and hope to hear some more tricks to try. I really like the gun and would rather not have to send it down the road but a single shot backup gun is not what I was looking for.

Like most info you get from sporting goods stores. Wrong!

Momentum. Think Momentum. It works both ways.
Go to Lighter tougher bullets. Thank me L....

Not your typical "sporting good store" A very large Mom and Pop
actually with some very sharp employees

Welcome to the fire I find 629s to be quite a handful personally
Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The google link had a report after 3000 rounds fired.

"Summary: In my opinion as a member of the great unwashed mass of hunters and backpackers who chose to be armed, the S&W329pd is the best carry solution for bitey-scratchy critters. I'm comfortable with this revolver now and this is the right solution for me. My happiness level is high.

The rest of this web page is collection of bits and pieces that I hope you will find helpful whether you are pondering a purchase or just looking for ideas."

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by boatboy
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by mightymatt
A 25 ounce 44 mag sounded like just the ticket when I was shopping for a backcountry carry gun and it is hardly noticed in the Diamond D guides choice holster I got to carry it in. I have spoke with some of the guys at Jays Sporting goods in Gaylord and they thought going to the 300 Grain bullets would slow the recoil impulse and eliminate the crimp jump. I was just hoping there might have been someone here that either had the same gun and or experienced the same issue and had an answer. I appreciate all the feedback and hope to hear some more tricks to try. I really like the gun and would rather not have to send it down the road but a single shot backup gun is not what I was looking for.

Like most info you get from sporting goods stores. Wrong!

Momentum. Think Momentum. It works both ways.
Go to Lighter tougher bullets. Thank me L....

Not your typical "sporting good store" A very large Mom and Pop
actually with some very sharp employees

Welcome to the fire I find 629s to be quite a handful personally
Hank

I like Mom and Pop stores. My bad.

But on the 300gr thing. He is wrong. Momentum, barrel time with heavy vs lighter weight bullet.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Jay's isn't exactly Mom & Pop. It's bigger than a lot of Cabelas (78,000sf). The only thing that a 300gr bullet might help with is that the longer bearing surface in the case might provide enough extra friction to keep the bullet from jumping.

Last edited by UPhiker; 08/08/15.
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Jay's isn't exactly Mom & Pop. It's bigger than a lot of Cabelas (78,000sf). The only thing that a 300gr bullet might help with is that the longer bearing surface in the case might provide enough extra friction to keep the bullet from jumping.

There ya go. I think we solved the problem. Use Barnes XPB bullets. Tough, lower density/bearing surface, lighter weight for length and a good deep cannelure.

I use them in the 500 S&W. Very good Bullet.

PS: Still use some rosin.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
One of the main reasons I sold my S&W 329 was because of the guns light weight causing bullets to jump crimp because of the severe recoil. That and the fact that it felt like a fuggin mule kicking my hand on every shot!

The only load I could get to shoot with out the bullet jumping the crimp and locking up the cylinder was a 260 grain LBT WFN Cast bullet at 850 FPS.

And I'm not recoil sensitive. I've shot .475 Linbaughs and 500 S&W handguns with more manageable recoil than the S&W 329.

I also replaced the Model 329 with the new S&W Model 69 L-frame .44 mag, and have been very pleased. No more problems with the bullets jumping the crimp, and MUCH more pleasant to shoot.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
MM, I was a little surprised to see your post about your negative experience with the 329PD. When I was hunting brown bear in AK fairly regularly, I started out carrying a S&W 629 5" Classic as my tent gun for bear protection. I eventually decided that a S&W 329 PD was a better choice on those backpack hunts, because of the significantly lower weight.

I settled on the CorBon 300 grain load as the only one I used in my 329PD. I practiced with that load before each trip and never had a problem either with a bullet jumping the crimp or the 329 failing to deliver a full cylinder fired double action. The recoil was stout, but controllable.

My only regret is that I sold the 329 PD and wish I had it back for those times when a powerful gun comes in handy when a trip into bear - black or brown - country is on the menu. A great gun for the use you have in mind, but I'm afraid the problem is very likely to be with the loads you've chosen for it.

Stick with the 329 and choose a different load. It's a perfect choice for a 'packing' revolver!

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 68 invisible), 14,470 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,151
Posts18,542,683
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.