Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lawnman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Hey guys I have the chance to buy a yeti 65 for a good price from a buddy of mine. Like new barely used. He wants a bigger one is reason for selling. I have always wanted one for all around use. Camping with the scouts, family trips, fishing etc. If I were to buy one new I would probably buy a white one. His is the desert tan color. Someone said that they get hotter in the sun due to the darker color? On the other hand I hear they look newer longer due to them not getting dirty and stained etc. Any advice from those of you that have them?

A man's got to know his limitations!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It's a simple rule of physics: lighter colors reflect more light. White will be cooler. There's always paint available.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
^This^

It's still a Yeti. if it is a good deal, then buy it.

I keep praying I'll hit an estate sale where someone puts $10 on a Yeti cooler right next to the Coleman cooler with the same price....

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Yeti is desert Tan. Works great out in the sun. Color is not something I would really worry about in the Yeti. You will see as soon as you pick it up. How long the ice stays ice is what counts.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My Yeti is desert Tan. Works great out in the sun. Color is not something I would really worry about in the Yeti. You will see as soon as you pick it up. How long the ice stays ice is what counts.

2x ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A true friend is someone who reaches for your
hand but touches your heart !!!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
If it really worries you, just drape one of those $1 space blankets over your Yeti. Instant total sunshade.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have 2 white Yeti's.
They still have ice in them from last summer!!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mikeone
I have 2 white Yeti's.
They still have ice in them from last summer!!!!

That's a good one. You wouldn't happen to have a deer cooler you keep the Yeti's in would you?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Lawnman-
Not a physicist.....but I did stay at "that hotel" a while back. laugh
I do agree with RC on the lighter is better for reflecting/absorbing the heat, however I have to wonder on the color scale relative to solar heating of the object.. if the difference between white and the desert tan color (I have seen both) would make a significant difference in the heating problem.
I would be inclined to get it if you feel it is a good deal---perhaps to paint it later if you felt it necessary.
I would suggest checking with Yeti to see if solvents in the paints used might damage the plastic used in their cooler and thus void any warranties(if applicable to second owner).
Hope it works out well.
Joe

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Green, very damn green!

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i don't believe there's a difference, you talking white and tan/sand colored.

buy it and be happy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
If it really worries you, just drape one of those $1 space blankets over your Yeti. Instant total sunshade.

Yeti will make one with their logo for $79.99. It's the best grin

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Not much difference IMO. I have the desert tan, my son has a white one. What does make a difference, is putting ice and whatever cold stuff you are going to load it with in there and letting it cool down to temp. Then top it with ice. And if you are opening it every 15 minutes in the heat for a beer, well no cooler is magic, none of them deal with that well. How you use it is much more important than the color.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JTPinTX
Not much difference IMO. I have the desert tan, my son has a white one. What does make a difference, is putting ice and whatever cold stuff you are going to load it with in there and letting it cool down to temp. Then top it with ice. And if you are opening it every 15 minutes in the heat for a beer, well no cooler is magic, none of them deal with that well. How you use it is much more important than the color.

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner.

for a beer cooler Yetis are no better than the rest, except when drunks sit / stand on them. ( ya'll know what happens with the cheap styrofoam coolers after dark grin)

and the lid won't blow off going down the road.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Darn glad i dont have a dirty looking yeti. smirk

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was all set to buy a Yeti to take to Quemado –– until I checked the prices. In your case, I would nab the tan one if the price is right for you.

Instead, I got on the Net and checked alternatives and reviews. One of Amazon's third party providers offered a Pelican 35 qt. tan one for only $136, so I got it. Two-inch thick insulation (maybe a bit much), stronger clasps than the Yetis, and rave reviews from customers who said it was much better even than the Yetis (self justifying?) at keeping contents cold, even up to ten days.

This tan one is designed for marine use, which is fine. No wheels so it does not slide in the car, but man, is it heavy. I had thought that the size might not be sufficient, but it takes up as much space as I can accept. There may be a day when it won't handle all I need, but for now, it works for me.

Last edited by Anjin; 08/13/15.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine's tan,,,, when the sun's out I put it in the shade.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
i don't believe there's a difference, you talking white and tan/sand colored.

buy it and be happy.

X2. The engineers at Yeti wouldn't put a colour on it that is gonna make the ice melt.

- Rogue
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not a Yeti, but day before yesterday I used my buddy's dark green Grizzly cooler all day in the 105 degree sun, the ice didn't melt a bit.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Anjin
stronger clasps than the Yetis,

Horse hockey.

Either will last a lifetime but people just say that to justify buying cheaper products.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (160user, 007FJ, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 58 invisible), 2,352 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.