-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 36 of 63 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 62 63
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The small arrow point at the top is quartz crystal, a Catan. Could be as late as 300yr BP. The bottom is a Plainview, late Paleo. Could date back as far as 11,500 yr BP. Came out of the same campsite. This campsite has been occupied for thousands of years, its just above a spring, and only covers a couple of acres. I'm three feet down and still finding points. Have uncovered around 35 campfires.

Have often wondered why so many points in such a small area ?? Perhaps warring between tribes?? As one ran out, another took their place .... manos by the dozens. The few metates I have found are broken. Looks like this little spot will last me the rest of my Life.

[Linked Image]

If you don't like Robert E. Lee, you won't like it on this ranch. JGM
GB1

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I've seen one other Quartz point that another rancher up there has and I bet you know him! wink

I remember everybody's flower gardens around Llano always had several
Metates and manos in them!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know Mr. Shearer had one out of quartzite, I called him when I found this one, and he made me come to his house right away. He asked me how clear it was, and I told him it was clear enough to read a newspaper through it !! He was waiting outside when I got there. That man truly loved artifacts :):):):) I sure miss him.

A friend of mine named this my "Spirit Garden" it holds all manner of broken heads and quarry blanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Dad had a dart point made out of a piece of quartzite. I believe it came out of a midden in Bell county. It was a rough point!

Nice garden. I had two or three manos laying around here. Dunno what happened to them. I always heard the old story that when a woman died they broke her mano. Dunno who came up with that one.

Oh! Archaeologist son was telling me about a find the other day. I think it was on a state project. Wasn't their firm. Archaic period find. Said they found a child's burial. Had a young bobcat ( little Bigger than a kitten) buried with it. Bobcat had a small stone amulet around its neck.

Founder

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Dad had a dart point made out of a piece of quartzite. I believe it came out of a midden in Bell county. It was a rough point!

Nice garden. I had two or three manos laying around here. Dunno what happened to them. I always heard the old story that when a woman died they broke her mano. Dunno who came up with that one.

Oh! Archaeologist son was telling me about a find the other day. I think it was on a state project. Wasn't their firm. Archaic period find. Said they found a child's burial. Had a young bobcat ( little Bigger than a kitten) buried with it. Bobcat had a small stone amulet around its neck.

Pretty neat!

Sadly the really interesting discoveries that are well documented are lost to public view. Stories and artifacts like that ought to be shared.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Chances are these days the remains will be reinterred. It was a mitigation project so generally that may be the case.

Edit. The story will be shared. It will come out in an official report that has to be written on the project. Generally these reports are available for public sales. They can be purchased thru the custodial agency printing service. Like TxDOT, TP &W, or Texas Historical Commission.

Additional edit; these reports are pretty dry reading.

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/19/15.

Founder

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not my find, but I guess its time for this. Was in the local paper years ago, and I found it fascinating. It was found close to Screaming Woman Creek. They named it that for a very good reason.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was knee high to a duck when my dad and grandad found this in the late '60s - early '70s when they were building our family cabin in Boone NC. As a kid, I always thought it to be a tomahawk head but now think it was some sort of hand tool or fleshing tool. It is very smooth so likely spent a lot of time in a hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith

This is the kind of point that breaks your heart. Firstview, would have been a 10+ had it not been broken :(:(:( The edges are micro-flaked and feel just like a hacksaw blade. Out of the many heads I have found, this one is absolutely a work of art. I had to dig it out of a creek bank, and held my breath the whole time, not knowing what was going to come out of the clay. It was so hard, I had to use a hammer and a screwdriver. It was about 4ft down from the surface. Lots of Paleo in the small area where I found this. Love this thread.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Beautiful work on that one! One day I hope to be able to come close to that level of work, but I'm a ways from there now. I hope you guys keep finding and posting these points. Love this thread and always look for it.

Harry
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I was knee high to a duck when my dad and grandad found this in the late '60s - early '70s when they were building our family cabin in Boone NC. As a kid, I always thought it to be a tomahawk head but now think it was some sort of hand tool or fleshing tool. It is very smooth so likely spent a lot of time in a hand.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It looks like a celt to me. Kind of an un grooved axe.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It looks like a celt to me. Kind of an un grooved axe.

I believe you're right. I had never heard of a celt so I googled it and it does look right, so I guess my initial thought of what it was was pretty close. thanx!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here are a few more points from this campsite--- don't know how many I have found at this site, they just keep coming !!! Find about 15 broken ones for every complete point. My wife always knows I have something good when I tell her to open her hand and close her eyes. Some she lays claim to, and are never seen again :):):):)

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
only junk on todays foray.....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I found this one about a month ago, after a little rain. Gave it to a young lady who is just starting her "hunting" career with the flaked rocks :):):):) Seeing her excitement was definitely worth the giving !!

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That's a beauty!

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by oldgunsmith
I found this one about a month ago, after a little rain. Gave it to a young lady who is just starting her "hunting" career with the flaked rocks :):):):) Seeing her excitement was definitely worth the giving !!

[Linked Image]

Well done!!!

Founder

WS

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Great diversification "Oldgunsmith". Hope I never get to old to hunt points. Still a thrill to find even a less than perfect point. Have the first one I found at age six and remember exactly where I found it. Hardin point perfect 2/3's, now if I could go back and find the tip. GW smile

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I found this small point while planting wheat this morning.

[Linked Image]

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good one. When you say small point, approximate size, please.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Thats a breast feather from a turkey at the bottom of the picture, a quarter covers 90% of the point, it is 1/2 at the widest point.

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Page 36 of 63 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 67 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.