Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
This is another of those threads that cause learning to occur. Thanks guys.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Well, here is what the front end looks like. May be a little tight. I can barely fit one finger here. The rear seems fine though, a little more room between the tire and shock than what is seen here. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Back in the 70's and early 80's I was a supervisor in a factory (ACCO) that made about 1/2 of the tire chains in the U.S. at the time. (The V-bar was originally an ACCO innovation.) After transferring to the Engineering dept., one of my first tasks was to destruction test tire chains, in the summer, in a Ford Torino wagon, all day on back roads at a steady 35mph, and record cross chain and side chain breakages as they occurred (testing new designs/steel alloys). My buddy and I would load up in the morning with spare chains, sandwiches, drinks (more often than not six-packs of beer), and most importantly- ear muffs to deaden the sound of tire chains on pavement for 8 hours. At first it was a hoot- "Do you believe they're paying us to do this, ha ha!"- but after a couple days it wore thin, and lasted all summer. I think my butt is still vibrating from that experience...

I fixed up everybody I knew with chains for their cars/trucks.

One of my guys was a WWII vet who started riding Harleys back in the 30's, and all his life never owned a car or truck. His Harleys served him year 'round in all weather- and yes, he made his own custom tire chains for them. Pretty slick, but you should have seen him negotiating snow drifts that would have bogged down a car.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I see that you bought a set which is always smart to have, but for those that are traveling and want to have a set "just in case". Les Schwab Tires (stores all over western states) offers a purchase program where they will give a full refund any time if the boxes are still unopened. Never used it myself but might be handy if this is for one trip only.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JCS271
I see that you bought a set which is always smart to have, but for those that are traveling and want to have a set "just in case". Les Schwab Tires (stores all over western states) offers a purchase program where they will give a full refund any time if the boxes are still unopened. Never used it myself but might be handy if this is for one trip only.
I think you can't return them until spring, like sometime in April. I think they count on you losing your receipt by then.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
I have a set of these for the front tires on my pickup: http://www.amazon.com/Security-Comp...;sr=8-4&keywords=cable+chains+for+LT

They go on easy and perform surprisingly well given they are designed for the snow packed highway.

I compensate by using modified log truck chains on the rear axle.

I do the same, chain up before you need them.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by JCS271
I think you can't return them until spring, like sometime in April. I think they count on you losing your receipt by then.

The ones I get from them come in a decent plastic carry case. The ones I planned on returning, the receipt went in the carry case. No problems returning them later.

Now I keep two sets around (and use them) so I don't return them, but it is a nice program for those that might not have to use them.

Geno

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/19/15.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It's a good program for those who want to take a winter trip in a car without good snow tires. 'Borrowing' a set of chains is a lot cheaper than a set of new tires.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 60 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,821
Posts18,477,839
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.