-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've been trying this Clipdraw clip on my Kahr for about a month and thought I'd share my experiences with it. Bottom line is it's perfect for my situation but probably isn't for everybody.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I tried an IWB holster and couldn't like it, it was just too bulky. Made me look like I had a fatal goiter on my left hip and was way too tight in my waistband. I didn't feel like buying a new wardrobe two sizes bigger, and figuring nothing is slimmer than the actual gun itself, I tried Mexican carry for while - basically sticking the gun in my waistband. I liked that a lot and the gun stayed in place, mostly. The worst thing that happened was that it slid down a little too deep, but the grip kept it from falling completely through. I figured some type of clip would work but didn't want to D&T the gun.

Searching online I found this. Clipdraw

Basically, they use a modern adhesive strip to attach a baseplate and clip anywhere you have room to fit it. They have special clips for 1911's and revolvers that screw in under the grip but on my Kahr I used the "Universal Clipdraw for Small Autos". At first I thought, "yeah right, some scotch tape is gonna hold it". But the adhesive is definitely high tech stuff. I've been wearing it on the gun for a month and that adhesive strip just will not let go. In racking the slide I put my right thumb over the clip and pull back and it doesn't move. If you know how tight the recoil spring is on this little Kahr that should impress you.

But even with that it comes off easily when you remove it according to instructions. I removed it once to reposition the clip and it actually took off a little chrome plating from the backing plate. Once you pry off the base plate the adhesive comes off the gun clean and easy. It doesn't hurt the finish of the pistol one bit.

Safety - this is not for all handguns. There is a guy on youtube that hates the Clipdraw, he guarantees you will shoot yourself. I can see where a Glock or Smith M&P or other "short trigger" pistol might not be the best match with this. They sell a little hokey trigger cover for those pistols that ties to your belt and pops off when you draw but it still seems like a workaround.

However, with the Kahr this thing is as safe as any Yaqui slide holster. I carry this at 8 o'clock, I'm left handed if you haven't figured that out, with the clip over my pants hem but under the belt. The trigger rides under my belt and I have deliberately tried to pull the trigger (unloaded, of course) in every way I can think of and can't make the striker fall, no way no how. That's one of the reasons I chose a Kahr in the first place, that long DA revolver style trigger pull. The gun stays in place securely and after playing around with various depths of carry I positioned the clip for an optimum grasp and draw.

Drawing - the pistol comes out easily, just as easily as it did in the holster or any other carry I tried, the clip doesn't hang on too tight. Now that's with it hooked over my pants under my belt. I tried an "outside the pants and under the belt carry" with it clipped to the belt and the clip does hang onto the belt too tightly for my comfort, plus it's harder to push over the belt in the first place. It doesn't "reholster" as fast as a holster so that is something to think about if that's a big deal to someone. Obviously different guns will have different drawing characteristics, that's just something each person has to work out.

I haven't tried this as a pocket carry but that's the other advantage to the clip - it can be carried anywhere without changing a thing. Back pocket, front pocket, hip, anywhere you can think of.

That's another nice thing about this. You can try the clip in one position on the gun and if that doesn't work out you can easily remove and reposition it - no D&T holes permanently in place. I had it too low on the slide at first and didn't realize it would interfere with working the slide stop, a simple pry - pull - new strip and it was where I wanted it.

Cost - IMO this thing is overpriced for what you get, even though what you get is nice. $25 for a little base plate, a clip to screw on to it, six adhesive strips and six alcohol degreasing pads. It only uses two screws but they give you four, plus an allen wrench for the screws. The ends of the screws look like they go through to touch the adhesive, at least in a month of carry and a couple hundred rounds fired the screws didn't loosen one bit. But as to the cost, I figure WTH, it solved the problem I needed solving perfectly, it's well made and works, and in the grand scheme of things I won't miss 25 bucks too much.

Gotcha's - be careful when you put that strip on and then the base plate! Once that base plate is laid down on the strip - it's on. It slipped out of my fingers on my first attempt and went crossways on the strip - I didn't press down at all but had to pry it off with a screwdriver and wasted an adhesive strip. Not a big deal, just learn from this and position everything right the first time! wink They sell replacement six packs of adhesive strips for just $3 so it's not a big deal if you go through a few of them.

Bottom line - it's not for everybody and it's not for all guns. If someone is happy with their holster carry or other solution then I'm happy for you. But if someone wants to use a clip style carry then I can positively recommend this particular product.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I like clips and I'm very much a fan of Mexican carry.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I even have one on my Puma General knife!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I love the clipdraw. They come with a tapped rear plate for Glocks so there is no adhesive, etc. I use "a little hokey trigger cover" with the Glock...the cover works great for carry in a HPG kit bag as well.

Should be noted that if you plan to carry the same handgun in a holster it may limit your choices. With a Glock, a kydex holster like Dale Frickie's Gideon Elite will work as the clip draw will slide over the outside of the holster.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've put them on my LCR and 396 NightGuard. Love 'em.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hopefully no offense on the "hokey" remark! shocked It just struck me as an added "thing" and I like to keep every thing simple, but if it works then it works.

T Lee - I thought about that as well. My EDC knife already has a clip but there are several places this would be useful, like clipping a hard eyeglass case to my belt when riding a motorcycle. I wish they were a little cheaper, like $10.95 or so, then I'd buy a few of them. But the volume sales probably aren't there so they have to make up for it with a higher margin. I bought two, one for the CM9 and one for a slightly larger CW9 but the CM9 hides so well under a light t-shirt in summer that it gets carried the most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Bottom line - it's not for everybody and it's not for all guns. If someone is happy with their holster carry or other solution then I'm happy for you. But if someone wants to use a clip style carry then I can positively recommend this particular product.

Been using Clipdraws for over ten years, previously on J, K. and L frames, now on a 3rd gen Smith compact. Love them and see no reason for an IWB holster.

I never thought about it till I saw the OP's wrong-handed photos, but the revolver versions that use the sideplate screws wouldn't be ideal for lefties.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a techna clip on my LC-9 as referred to by a fire member and have been carrying a Kel-tec .32 with a clip for 10 years . Really like them a lot.

Mike

http://technaclip.com/

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim has it affected function in any way whatsoever?

When I had a PM40 I called Kahr to ask if there was anything under the area that prevented one being drilled and tapped for a clip of some sort and the engineers tried some lame response that the extra weight would cause it to malfunction or some garbage.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
While I can't say 100% it wouldn't affect a Kahr, I've put 200 handloads (6.0 gr True Blue/Rem 124 JHP) through this one since mounting the clip without a single malfunction. The pistol is getting to about the 1000 round mark in the year and a half I've owned it, all Winchester white box 115 FMJ or the aforementioned handloads and it has never bobbled in any way.

You have to get used to having that clip right where you'd grab the slide to rack it, at first it feels like it's in the way. But it only takes a few times practice before it becomes second nature.

For a right hander you're limited to mounting it on the slide just under the ejection port, the slide stop pin protrudes too far from the frame to mount it below the slide although they say the adhesive sticks to plastic and metal equally. As I found out mounting it on the left middle of the slide will interfere with the slide stop but then the CM9 has a very tight slide release. Changing that location to be flush with the top of the slide as shown in the pics lets me get to the stop with my index finger to release it normally.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim that's good news I figured it was typical don't mess with our stuff gibberish from Kahr.

Mike

NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
it looks to me like you have it on the right side, for sure.
i think i would be really interested in one of those at one period in my life. Prior to my move down to phx and wearing shorts 90% of the time. And no belt.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
I've put them on my LCR and 396 NightGuard. Love 'em.

Could you post a pic of the LCR? (I've been green-lighted by the chief to buy a new gun, and am thinking of giving the LCR another go. The clip thing is intriguing.)

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Smith titanium 38 with clip draw. My bathing suit and beach gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 3,409 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,373
Posts18,469,350
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.