Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Seen quite a few copperhead and rattle snake bites in my line of work (ER). Copperheads and water moccasins are generally not life threatening to humans. Not saying it can't cause horrible pain and life long injury to limb. And most dogs will do just fine, even some smaller ones. I have only seen 1 person come close to dying and it was due to anaphylactic shock. If your allergic to one, your allergic to all of the pit vipers in the usa. Rattlers are truly a life threatening emergency. We see quite a few dry bites surprisingly from both.

Hope your dog does well. Keep him loaded up with benadryl. Not sure why they give antibiotics? Not warranted in humans, so not sure why they do it in dogs. Makes me glad that where I live in TN we don't have many of them

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Handled the only way it could be.
Go find the carcass, your pup needs a snakeskin collar!

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
We have lots of them in this part of TN.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Steelhead
To be fair, the snake was only 3-4' away.

Steelie, fugk him and put it right up in his ear.

Glad your pooch is doing OK. Good looking dawg.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I have seen quite a few timber rattlers in the park and on the plateau. Fortunately here in the valley they are few and far between. I'm just glad all we have here is copperheads and timbers. No eastern DB or cottonmouth. Hell, I rarely ever see any snakes around even though I am outside a lot. What part of TN you in?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

It's been amazing how many snakes, especially rattlesnakes have been seen this year around here.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I continue to be surprised to even see a snake at all at our place in the Hill Country. I have seen more snakes in north Idaho than at my place in Texas. I leave 'em alone and worry about dumbazz cow moose. Bears fall well behind.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Glad all is well, feel bad for the pup. I'm sure we can both agree that we're glad I don't live in TN!

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure hate to see that schitt happen. And they do blend in. We had 3 dogs quail hunting one time and had a rattlesnake start rattling. We got the dogs back and we were all trying to see the snake....still rattling. One of the guys saw it and shot it. I saw where the shot hit and I was looking right at it before the shot and didn't see the damn snake.

At least he made noise so we could get the dogs away from it.

My dad.....on the other hand.....could not hear a rattlesnake. We unfortunately verified this several times while hunting. Can laugh now but wasn't too funny then.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hope the dog heals up okay, and glad you missed getting bit!

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
Still swollen this AM of course, but he's getting around a little better on it. Other than the swelling, he seems in good spirits.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Just saw this. Glad the dog is making progress.

I hate those snakes. We don't see a ton here, but they usually pop up this time of year for some reason. My last encounter was in the driveway and all I had was a shovel.

[Linked Image]

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
It looks like the shovel was effective! grin

Glad to hear that Roux is still doing okay, Scott.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good story line in a movie...dog steps in front of master and takes a snake bite.

Hope the dog continues to mend.

Wayne

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Huntingnut
Your pup should be fine, but if your like me they're almost like your kids, can't help feeling bad for 'em. Hate snakes!

One thing great about the 'Fire, we do love our dogs. Good to hear that yours is getting better.

I do not hate snakes, having grown up the son of a zoology professor and around all kinds of animals. etc. I would not keep one for a pet, but they do have their place. Here in the mountains, we do have rattlers and they keep down the mice and packrats that are showing up in droves this year.

Neighbors have told me to get anti-venom shots for my Jack Russells but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe I should, as I have seen two rattlers already since I moved here in May.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
S
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
S
The swelling is almost gone. He still favors the 'wound' on his toe where the snake bit him, but he's doing well.

He's skittish as all hell outside. I twig brushed up against his leg and he leaped 2' in the air. Can't say as I blame him.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Glad Roux is doing better.....we'd all be skittish too if we'd just had his experience.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I had literally stopped to take a piss. My dog came right along side of me and then BOOM, he leaped and ran off. I first thought he had been stung by a bee.

I looked down and there in the leaves, not 2 feet from my foot was a copperhead. I took off his head with a 38, shoved a Benadryl down Roux's throat and took him to the vet.

The gave him a big injection of antibiotic and steroid. Along with a week's worth of antibiotics to give Roux. Snake got him right in the tip of his left front foot. It's doubled in size, but the swelling hasn't moved past his knee.

Damn if those frigging snakes don't blend. Power company was removing some trees along the right of way, very near where this happened. I'm guessing that helped push him out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

you might not be an [bleep] after all, nice lookin pit, looks built like my male just different colored, hope he's feeling better soon they're tough animals

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i hate snakes nor do i think they're pretty

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 72 invisible), 2,147 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,784
Posts18,495,971
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.