-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I guess I'm not too strung out over the nuancing of the various [/i] alpha bino's [i] . And I've had them all over the years.

Given one of the better, current [/i] even-beta [i] glasses three decades ago, we'd 've thought we had been given the keys to the universe.

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
zeissman, I'm not expert, and do not want to represent myself as one. I'm involved in the G&O programs from a few places like Meopta, Leupold, and Swaro, and I ask lots of questions, and get to try lots of glass. To my eyes, the El range is great, just not on par with the SV, but maybe it's just me. Swaro techs say same thing, but it's not worth arguing about to me. If you like 'em, enjoy 'em, no matter the brand. I'm not a Swaro fan boy necessarily, and own several different makes of binocs, but the SV is the only one I've used that makes me go "wow". I haven't seen the Zeiss HT or SF though besides handling an HT in Cabelas for 1 minute or so.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by zeissman
- they don't even know who shrapnel is.

Lie.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Can't say I'm enthused with the new harness attachment system as it precludes the use of some very good bino harness systems such as the Kuiu one.

Zeissman, there should have been adapters with the new EL Range that allow the use of any harness with the new strap attachment. If they weren't in there, call Swarovski customer service and they'll send you some.

I hunt, therefore I am.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
Great discussion. I too have been fawning over all three company's range finding binos over the last 5-10 years. Unfortunately, I've only had a chance to try them out at Cabelas, or in a LGS.

In my opinion, all three, even the much older Zeiss, would be outstanding optically for any and all hunting situations. I suspect the range finding capabilities of all three would also be more than adequate for my hunting style (rifle shots of 320 yards or less, bow 30 yards or less). Moreover, I think the concept itself is fantastic. It just makes sense.

That said, I love my Leica ultravid 8x32 HDs. The size and weight are perfect for backpack hunting/bow hunting. I find all three of the current Alphas to be too large and too heavy for me. However, if you are hunting with a guide, they would be perfect to loan out. I would love to see an Alpha rangefinder bino in 8x32. Maybe Zeiss with their next round of RF models? Something smaller and lighter.

IC B2

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Thanks Kilmer. I don't own them, I was just looking through a pair in the store. A couple of friends have the 1st generation model and we used one of those that was about two years old to compare the new model against and also, a fairly new 10x42 SV.

I'll look and see if the adaptors you mentioned are in there next time we get a pair in.

I was quite surprised at how sharp and contrasty the new model EL's are.

Originally Posted by Omnivorous
...That said, I love my Leica ultravid 8x32 HDs....

A hunting friend has the same pair and I don't blame you for loving them. They're awesome hunting binoculars and I wish my Swaro 8x32 SV's were as compact as the Leicas.

Last edited by zeissman; 08/30/15.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by deflave

Lie.

Travis

No lie, I swear. laugh

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by JGRaider
.... To my eyes, the El range is great, just not on par with the SV, but maybe it's just me. Swaro techs say same thing...

I'd agree, to my eyes, that the Swarovision's we have compared to older EL's are marginally better. However, Swaro have been known to upgrade their models, often optically, without informing the market. Ask the Swarovski European dealer JVD on the Bird Forum if that isn't so. Example - the "rolling ball effect" on some earlier Swarovision models which was quite apparent to some people, seems to have disappeared on the same later production units for those same viewers. Swarovski has never announced any changes to that effect. The reps probably aren't even aware of some changes.

Anyway, they're all pretty darn good. Personal preference as you say.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by deflave

Lie.

Travis

No lie, I swear. laugh

Tell 'em to stop standing around chattin' with retards at gun counters in 3rd world countries.

It will expand their horizons!

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
...3rd world countries? You're geographically fubbed up which is probably because you're full of shrapnel.

Have another drink, it'll expand your horizons!

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Enjoy your gun counter.

Sounds like a real fountain of information.

Dave

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Thanks, will do.

You keep on enjoying whatever it is you're smoking son.

Will

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Short answer: no. I really do not want that much weight around my neck if I can avoid it.

For that matter I've gone to 10x32's and haven't regretted it.

Hunt Africa while you can
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,674 guests, and 1,568 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.