Hop To
Page 7 of 49 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 48 49
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
That's where we disagree. grin

I am still waiting to find out what finger I am. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RaySendero
OK, Honestly - What do Atheist believe?

Do you believe that's there is such a thing as Good and Evil in the world?

How about the supernatural? Ghosts, spirits, possession?

Ray, good honest question.

At this point I do not believe that Ghosts, spirits, possession, Leprechauns, pixies, fairies, Big Foot, Nessie, Chupacabra, Cthulhu, or that the 55gr Vmax has mystic Elk killing abilities has met their burden of proof.

As for the concepts of good and evil, it depends on how you define them. Have people committed wicked, immoral, and depraved acts? Yes. Some definitions of evil require a supernatural actor behind these acts. Is there a supernatural force behind these acts? No. I see no evidence for that.

Of course different Atheist could have different positions on any of the above since Atheism only addresses a belief in a god or gods.

Technically most Christians/theist are Atheist regarding all gods except their own. I just take the proposition one god further.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antlers

He also died for unbelievers, yet Christians are told to "come out from among unbelievers, and separate yourselves from them".

Yep, Christianity does a great job of creating in groups and out groups. It's always easier to dehumanize, exploit and murder an out group.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You went to far when you put Big Foot on your list! Now you offended me. grin

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

If that really an honest position?

Gotta hand it to you....you're persistent. Let me ask you for an honest answer if you possibly can. A simple yes or no may even suffice......

One day we will find out who is right, won't we?

No, we won't. We will be dead.

Before you can asset that, you must actually demonstrate a mind that can act independent of a brain. When our brain dies, all evidence indicated, so does our mind, so once we die, there will be nothing of us remaining to "know" anything.

Yea, it sucks, but that's what the evidence indicates.

I figured as much. That has nothing to do with my question, which is one day we'll see if you're right, or I'm right (since I agree with the Bible). Guess you're a dishonest atheist and won't answer.

Come on JG. I gave you a very complete answer.

Are you aware of an example where a mind could operate apart from a brain?

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
it *might* be fun to further explore if humankind would be better off knowing for certain there is no god, or would we as a group or species be better off knowing there is a god.

in the short, without a god, we learn we're responsible for our own destiny.

with a god, god decides. we can sit back and coast along.

I want to engage in both, from time to time.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
You went to far when you put Big Foot on your list! Now you offended me. grin

Yea. I'm sure I pissed of a few people by putting the Chupacabra on the list as well. wink

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
it *might* be fun to further explore if humankind would be better off knowing for certain there is no god, or would we as a group or species be better off knowing there is a god.

We would be better of knowing the truth, and not believing in fairy tales.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Antelope, cut the BS man. Either you're right, or I'm right, and someday we'll see, correct? It is a very simple question.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I figured that antelope would be polluting this thread.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Antelope, cut the BS man. Either you're right, or I'm right, and someday we'll see, correct? It is a very simple question.

No BS.

You can't see anything when you are dead unless some part of you survives to an afterlife.

If your brain activity just stops, and there is nothing to move on, you will never know because you will just be dead. Kind of like before you were born when there was nothing of you to know anything.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Gus

We would be better of knowing the truth, and not believing in fairy tales.

on that you and I are in full agreement. the disconnect comes when one realizes that often fairy tales are the closest to the truth that we will ever be able to come. Joseph Campbell said it best when he stated mythology is the closest thing to the truth that we humans have.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I figured that antelope would be polluting this thread.

Would you like to make some kind of rational, logical contribution to this thread, or did you just come to cast stones?

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

No BS.

You can't see anything when you are dead unless some part of you survives to an afterlife.

If your brain activity just stops, and there is nothing to move on, you will never know because you will just be dead. Kind of like before you were born when there was nothing of you to know anything.

The Bible tells us that both Christians and non Christians will be judged, after death, and be sent to either Heaven or hell. Obviously you do not believe that, and I do, so......some day we'll see, correct?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

No BS.

The Bible tells us that both Christians and non Christians will be judged, after death, and be sent to either Heaven or hell. Obviously you do not believe that, and I do, so......some day we'll see, correct?

There is no evidence to support that claim. If you wish to support it, a good place to start would be with evidence of a mind existing outside a brain.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
OK. It's rather obvious that by avoiding a very, very simple question, one that can be answered by either yes, or no, that you enjoy talking in cirlces, deflecting direct questions, and enjoy it. No way to have honest conversation with someone with such motives. Adios amigo....one day we'll see.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The
Originally Posted by MojoHand
Why Atheists are more honest than Christians

"First, let's discuss one of my favorite subjects--semantics. It would seem that we live in an age of word manipulation. Perhaps this has always been so...

Many logical fallacies depend on the straw man of distorted definition. This can be seen on many internet threads pertaining to religious and political themes (not to mention News networks). Before one tackles a certain issue or makes claims upon such, it behooves one to be clear on just exactly WHAT they mean when they use a certain term. To that end, let's define some notably pliable and problematic words...

For this discussion I define the term 'Christian' as it is commonly (if rather loosely) understood and used in American Evangelical and Protestant world. "One who claims to believe that Jesus was/is God incarnate and who believes in a penal/substitutionary atonement theological (and soteriological) view." There are several a priori and post hoc beliefs involved with that definition but they tend to be self evident. I believe this to be a misleading and false definition of true Christianity but that is irrelevant to this discussion.

Now when it comes to the term "atheist" there is far more confusion and confabulation than in regards to something as broad and murky as "Christian". Too often, it's the religious folk who decide that THEY are the ones who get to define exactly what an atheist "is" or believes. A sneaky backdoor to the 'No True Scotsman' fallacy, as it were. This obfuscation and redefining to suits one purpose has deep roots in mankind's psyche--and not just in the religious realm.

To be fair and honest one only needs to ask true atheists how they define themselves.
Here is the American Atheists Association definition:

---------------------
What Is Atheism?
No one asks this question enough.

The reason no one asks this question a lot is because most people have preconceived ideas and notions about what an Atheist is and is not. Where these preconceived ideas come from varies, but they tend to evolve from theistic influences or other sources.

Atheism is usually defined incorrectly as a belief system. Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods. Older dictionaries define atheism as "a belief that there is no God." Some dictionaries even go so far as to define Atheism as "wickedness," "sinfulness," and other derogatory adjectives. Clearly, theistic influence taints dictionaries. People cannot trust these dictionaries to define atheism. The fact that dictionaries define Atheism as "there is no God" betrays the (mono)theistic influence. Without the (mono)theistic influence, the definition would at least read "there are no gods."

Why should atheists allow theists to define who atheists are? Do other minorities allow the majority to define their character, views, and opinions? No, they do not. So why does everyone expect atheists to lie down and accept the definition placed upon them by the world’s theists? Atheists will define themselves.

Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion. While there are some religions that are atheistic (certain sects of Buddhism, for example), that does not mean that atheism is a religion. Two commonly used retorts to the nonsense that atheism is a religion are: 1) If atheism is a religion then bald is a hair color, and 2) If atheism is a religion then health is a disease. A new one introduced in 2012 by Bill Maher is, "If atheism is a religion, then abstinence is a sexual position."

The only common thread that ties all atheists together is a lack of belief in gods and supernatural beings. Some of the best debates we have ever had have been with fellow atheists. This is because atheists do not have a common belief system, sacred scripture or atheist Pope. This means atheists often disagree on many issues and ideas. Atheists come in a variety of shapes, colors, beliefs, convictions, and backgrounds. We are as unique as our fingerprints.

--------------------

For a further in depth look at the differences between lack of belief, disbelief and denial here is a short lesson...

http://atheism.about.com/od/definitionofatheism/a/DisbeliefDenial.htm
-------------------

Where am I going with all of this and how does it pertain to the title? Simple.

There is no concrete, verifiable proof of gods/God. Period. (Please don't even start with the circular 'nature' argument.) Without that proof all you are left with is, indeed, faith. And, to head you off at the pass, this isn't an attack on faith. There's nothing inherently wrong with faith itself (its by-products can be another story). The problem is with those 'believers' who talk out of one side of their mouth about the importance of faith and then state that said faith is 'fact' and can be proven. THAT'S where the belief stops and the Bullschit starts...

I can count on one hand (with leftovers) the Christians who have the moral, intellectual and spiritual honesty to say, "I choose to believe this not because of facts or proof but because I want to'. And, again, let me stress...that's ok. However, it leads to at least two questions for me..

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

My first thought is, why the need and what point in posting this?

To your question, I would hope those who do have a moral basis for life and how they live it. As an atheist you might ask yourself why do "I have to be honest, or sharing or caring?" After all animals are not moral; nor do they develop a morality. It must tick one off at times.

Your argument is false in so many places and ways, to unwind it would be like untangling a "crow's nest" in that $5 casting reel.

I suggest rather than making up your mind about what you think you believe and make up arguments to support it, you take C.S Lewis' tact and study the scriptures and Christian apologetics to disprove them rationally.

BTW, "a lack of belief in gods or supernatural beings" is a [/b]belief[b] system; ergo, a religion.

😊

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
OK. It's rather obvious that by avoiding a very, very simple question, one that can be answered by either yes, or no, that you enjoy talking in cirlces, deflecting direct questions, and enjoy it. No way to have honest conversation with someone with such motives. Adios amigo....one day we'll see.

I gave you a straight no, and explained why.

See you in the shooting forums.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MojoHand

I can count on one hand (with leftovers) the Christians who have the moral, intellectual and spiritual honesty to say, "I choose to believe this not because of facts or proof but because I want to'. And, again, let me stress...that's ok. However, it leads to at least two questions for me..

One, because it is a matter of pure 'faith' (belief without or in the face of facts) how do you regard your version as any better or 'truer' than another's?

Two, (and this is the big, important one for me) how does your 'faith' then make you a better person? Because most Religious people I've met end up using their beliefs to judge others and make themselves feel superior--sometimes 'innocently' and often maliciously.

In the end, both atheists and Christians have the same evidence for God/gods...none. The Christian chooses to believe anyway and tries to convince you it's fact. The atheists chooses no belief and doesn't try to convince you of anything.

Who's more honest?"

I will be honest with you. I believe in God and Jesus Christ, the Son OF God. Why, because I want to, I made that choice myself without any need for proof. In fact I will go on record as saying not only is their no proof but it may even be a sin to try to find a proof. I believe because I believe and that's all I need.

Just out of curiosity, which finger am I? I won't be upset if you say the middle. grin

Scott, per usual, you provide a straight forward honest answer.

As for the question, is it a sin to seek proof, many belief the search is justified by 1st Peter 3:15, which I will paraphrase for you:

...be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you...

Technically, you met your requirement by stating the hope in you is from Faith alone, but others may feed the need to present a logical argument to the logical minded.

You make a good point. Perhaps I should have said I think it might be a sin for a Christian to seek proof. Christianity is one hundred percent faith based. Through faith in Christ I am saved. Without faith what does a Christian have?

Without Faith, what does a Christian have?

A more clear view of reality.

Except for knowing what is going on in this earth by His having foretold it and the knowledge He is ultimately in control and will soon exercise it.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
As for your comments on infinity, the Universe has not existed for an infinite amount of time, but a finite 13.8 billion years. In addition, the universe is expanding, so it's finite in size. The total energy of the universe also continues to decrease as we move toward "heat death", so again, we will not have equal conditions for an infinite amount of time, so your whole infinity argument is void.

I find it interesting how you propose that God, your idea of the most complex intelligence in the universe could have EVOLVED, but we are so complex that we could not have evolved? This is a simple case of "special pleading".

I did not propose that at all (concerning God), but nice try.

What existed before that 13.8 billion years? And, what exists at the boundary of it all, given it's finite?

Before the 13.8 billion, WE DON'T KNOW. There are some idea's out there, but nothing that's been elevated to the level of a Scientific Theory.

What I will tell you, is that if and when someone does figure it out, it will be a Scientist, not a Theologian.

Scientists have only recently learned His word was correct in proclaiming a little wine is good for you. wink

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Page 7 of 49 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,059
Posts18,501,175
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.