-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Shooting critters in the legs and guts is no different than posting smilies and +1 to get your post count up on the Campfire...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Shooting critters in the legs and guts is no different than posting smilies and +1 to get your post count up on the Campfire...

+1

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
+2.5. smile smile eek

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Also a 22 derringer in you pocket is better if you need it. than you new glock 40 left at home. ( in my opinion)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
260rem is a douchebag, that become completely apparent in some of his 'anti-gun' posts. This just makes it better for the others to see yet again.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

If a cartridge / bullet combination fails to penetrate deeply enough from any angle needed to hit the vitails then it failed. If the bullet reaches the heart and the advasary continues on, instead of instant incapacitation that is simply the difference from one to another and no fault of the cartridge load combination, because it did the damage. This applies to rifle, shotgun and handgun.
Basically you're setting up a false paradigm. The goal should always be to kill the animal quickly and humanely regardless of penetration. The two basic schools of thought here are penetration vs. expansion. If your goal is penetration and everything else be damned, then you're probably going to have some failures to kill quickly in your quest for 100% success on penetration. Likewise, if your goal is only expansion, then you are probably going to have some kill-failures in your attainment of the expansion goal due to not attaining enough penetration for that expansion. What this probably illustrates is that goals of penetration and expansion are not 100% reliable arbiters of killing game.

And again, killing game and stopping a person from fighting are two different things even though you seem to not differentiate between them. All you're doing is once again stating your preference for penetration over everything else and anybody who has read here very long knows that.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Penetration is not all it's 'cracked up' to be.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by P_Weed
Penetration is not all it's 'cracked up' to be.
A lot of chicks would disagree.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The operative word being "goal", something to aspire to, rather than an absolute.

My "goal" is to kill things with one shot and it is achieved better than 90% of the time, so I'd give myself an "A" in that column. However, killing game from a solid rest in a cut corn or bean field is usually pretty easy, really more an exercise in preparation and "shooting" skill rather than "hunting" skill. Plus, all of my hunting is done on private land where there is no hunting pressure and in a State that allows each hunter to purchase two antlered deer tags and, in some of the GMUs where I hunt, as many antlerless deer tags as a hunter wishes to purchase. I only shoot two kinds of antlered deer, trophies and culls. I don't shoot bucks with little racks, unless the antlers are damaged and there appears to be a genetic flaw that should be removed for the good of the herd. Because of that philosophy, I only punch my antlered deer tags about half the time, maybe even a little less than 50%.

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The same applies to self defense situations as well as hunting.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
jwp475, You "nailed it"! The bullet should have very high percentage of success reaching vital organs from any angle with a bullet of, adequate sectional density,good bullet construction,impact velocity, and correct shot geometry(bullet path in line with vitals). If the bullet cannot fullfill these requirements, we actually have two failures.The bullet (thru no fault of it's own) and operator error(improper bullet selection for application)! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
JWP did nail it, penetration is so important as long as the bullet worked in passage. There is fact to this that beauty queens do not believe thinking "energy dump" is real.
The space station is still seeing my bullets in orbit after dropping deer in their tracks. A Texas heart shot should exit the chest. Makes a mess of course but the 6" of penetration from the wrong bullet is a loss.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

If a cartridge / bullet combination fails to penetrate deeply enough from any angle needed to hit the vitails then it failed. If the bullet reaches the heart and the advasary continues on, instead of instant incapacitation that is simply the difference from one to another and no fault of the cartridge load combination, because it did the damage. This applies to rifle, shotgun and handgun.

I've had and seen satisfactory results using the lighter weight monos with a few deer and pig kills, even testing on 22 lb three quarters frozen freezer burnt turkeys. grin

They have ALL provided enough penetration to completely penetrate a mans chest from any angle, that being said, all remaining mags I have on my person are loaded with the heaviest for caliber FMJ flat point bullets that are also loaded to shoot to the sights with the lightweight mono hp's.

Also, the small meplat on the fmj-fp bullets provide straight line penetration [haven't been able to turn one in test media] and a bit bigger than bullet diameter wound channels, a win win in my small mind.

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

If a bullet reaches the vitals and doesn't incapacitate, it has failed as surely as one that doesn't reach the vitals and also fails to incapacitate.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
The point of this post? They are consistent blather, over and over again. Ask how poster Ken elsewhere managed to kill big chitt with puny jacketed bullets.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
The point of this post? They are consistent blather, over and over again. Ask how poster Ken elsewhere managed to kill big chitt with puny jacketed bullets.
lolol

J
jwp475 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

If a bullet reaches the vitals and doesn't incapacitate, it has failed as surely as one that doesn't reach the vitals and also fails to incapacitate.

Explain how a bullet that reaches the vitals leaving a quarter size hole through the heart will fail to incapacitate.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Explain how a bullet that reaches the vitals leaving a quarter size hole through the heart will fail to incapacitate.
You're the one who referenced such failures in your original post on this thread. I'd really rather you explained it, that being the case, if you feel like it needs to be explained. Otherwise, what is this thread even about?

Last edited by EthanEdwards; 08/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's about penetration versus the Pressure Wave Fairy, Ethan.

Everybody who's Anybody knows the Pressure Wave Fairy:

Flutters along ahead of your handgun bullet,
Through the sleeve 12th Street Dog's leather jacket & tensed forearm,
Through his jacket again,
And the stolen credit cards and bag of weed in the breast pocket,
Crashes through 3" of well nourished & conditioned pectorals and ribs,
(courtesy of your state prison system)
And once inside, the Pressure Wave Fairy
Whips out his magic pink feather duster, and
Jack-slaps a honkin' big pressure wave up through Dog's brain
Knockin' him senseless and rendering him incapacitated!

Me? I'll be over there behind the dumpster with three magazines of hardball, trying not to laugh.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y'all do realize that you don't have to post in threads where you disagree with the basic premise, don't you?

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (BDR1, batch, BB3, 7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 1,476 guests, and 891 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,056
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.