-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've run into a lot of folks who believe the bullet weight is actually the grains of powder. They usually say they think the 180's are the best because 150 grains of powder isn't enough in the .30-06.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I am still wondering if the guy I saw at a Cabelas store ever found a Piccadilly rail..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Heard a counter guy recommend a 7-08 to a guy for elk.

Not a bad choice but his explanation was weird : "This is a 7-08, it's a 7mm necked down to 308 and will knock an elk on its ass at 1000 yards".

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Overheard some urban yutes asking if a pistol came with a beam on it!

They were there to buy some .30 cal ammo but didn't know specifics but would recognize it so the guy working the counter put 5-6 different cartridges on the counter the fellow chose .30 Carbine so they sold him a box.

I can just see him shoving it into an sks or ak of some sort and wondering why it won't work.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Higbean
I used to work with a mechanic who would ask for parts to be "rectal fitted" instead of retro fitted. Beyond funny stuff when he'd ask the new guy to rectal fit something.

He may have been a rectal fitter himself.

Fück Joe byron
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Saw a local guy advertising "sal" hunts. Ad had a picture of a good size sow. Still trying to figure out what a "sal" is

C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Pronouncing it, "Sig Sawyer".

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Then there was the guy who brought in an Italian Carcano rifle because he had a round jammed in the chamber. "Is that gun loaded, sir?" "Of course not," and pulled the trigger to prove it. After we picked ourselves up off the floor, the idiot got his ass tossed out the door, literally, and the stupid rifle pitched out onto the sidewalk beside him (it clattered out into the street and a couple cars drove over it before he had a chance to retrieve it).

I could also tell you about the old retirement age cop who came in 40-couple years ago looking for someone who could give his service .38 a good cleaning before he turned it back in. The Colt hadn't been out of the holster for years. Decades maybe. There was so much dirt/lint/crap filtered and packed down in there that it was a tug o' war getting it out. The ammo was all corroded in the chambers- so bad that we had to tap a couple of them out with a hammer and dowel. The bore was rusted and filled with lint so bad that there was just a little tunnel of light shining through. The heck of it was, he was a great guy who was a very good cop. He just never had to draw his weapon, and obviously got around re-qualifications somehow. His billy club on the other hand looked very well used...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
There is nothing A5 about the new A5's.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
A couple came into the store Saturday to buy a .38 special snubby to carry in their car. Their friend the expert was with them since they had never owned a handgun. The couple chose the least expensive .38 we carry, a Rossi. The expert then asked me if regular .38's could be fired out of the revolver. I said, "I don't understand your question, to me a regular .38 means .38 special." He got visibly upset and said I mean regular .38's, everyone knows what they are. I said, "Are you talking about .357 magnum?" He got madder and said no, I mean regular .38's. I explained that the only other .38's I knew about were the .38 Long Colt and .38 S&W, but they are not in production anymore and ammo was pretty rare.

The expert told me to forget it. He did talk to the store manager and suggested that I receive more training.

IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have often wondered if some of these big stores that sale firearms actually interview the sales people they hire to work the gun counter. I try not to go to these places for anything unless it is absolutely necessary, or if they have a good deal on something I want. If any of you guys work in those places then I am not talking about you.;) Is there a bonus to the sales man if they sale the magnums, or is it just the counter jockeys thinks that is the best? Most people around where I live are after deer or pigs. I Have no idea why they would advise a person they need a 300 RUM. I am sure some people who come in ask for those rifles. I know a sale is a sale but you don't make a repeat customer if the rifle kicks the crap out of them, and they give up hunting because they cant stand to shoot the rifle that someone told them they had to have. cdb do you have try to talk some people down, or do you often give in and let them buy that hammer of thor, and just tell them to bring it back if they want to try something different? I am not talking about all salesmen. I have heard this happen a few times while standing near the counter looking at the guns.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Earlier this year, an LGS had a "guru" behind the counter that was trying to convince a new gun owner that the Glock 32 in .357 SIG was a better choice for carry and home defense because "he could fire cheaper .38s in it for practice and then load the more expensive and powerful .357s for carry".

I know I cost him a sale when I called bullschit, proved the point, and the customer left. I might have cost him his job, but the LGS closed relatively soon after that anyway (no real loss). He was their "apprentice gunsmith", too. crazy

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My 2 favorites.

Was in the local Walmart right after Christmas 2007. The guy working the gun counter answers the phone with a customer asking about 7mm-08 ammo for a new rifle he got for Christmas. The clerk informed him that the only ammo they had in stock was 07 ammo, the 08 ammo would be in next week.

My brother relayed the 2nd story, I wasn't there. Guy walks into a reputable gun shop asking if they carried 357 Sig ammo for his new Glock. Clerk answers yes and walks to the ammo display asking how much he wants. The answer." Well, I have two 13 round magazines so I'll take 26 rounds" as he hands the clerk the 2 magazines to fill up for him.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
cdb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Where I work we have some incredibly knowledgeable people and our fair share of idiots. We are not measured or paid by what or how much we sell. We are measured by how many credit card apps we get.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Had two of the sales staff in a certain gun library in a big sporting goods store ask me if I knew anything about proof marks as I looked over a winchester Model 54. I said some. Their question was,,,

We have a customer on the phone in Arizona that is interested in this Holland & Holland 500 Nitro express. (Handed me the double rifle). He wants to know if it's proofed for Nitro.

I didn't know if it was a "Prince Albert in a can" joke or what???

Last edited by kaywoodie; 09/29/15.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the beat goes on... laugh

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mauser8x57
I have often wondered if some of these big stores that sale firearms actually interview the sales people they hire to work the gun counter. I try not to go to these places for anything unless it is absolutely necessary, or if they have a good deal on something I want. If any of you guys work in those places then I am not talking about you.;) Is there a bonus to the sales man if they sale the magnums, or is it just the counter jockeys thinks that is the best? Most people around where I live are after deer or pigs. I Have no idea why they would advise a person they need a 300 RUM. I am sure some people who come in ask for those rifles. I know a sale is a sale but you don't make a repeat customer if the rifle kicks the crap out of them, and they give up hunting because they cant stand to shoot the rifle that someone told them they had to have. cdb do you have try to talk some people down, or do you often give in and let them buy that hammer of thor, and just tell them to bring it back if they want to try something different? I am not talking about all salesmen. I have heard this happen a few times while standing near the counter looking at the guns.

Shortly after the 300 RUM came out you could buy them used pretty cheap laugh grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mauser8x57
I know a sale is a sale but you don't make a repeat customer if the rifle kicks the crap out of them, and they give up hunting because they cant stand to shoot the rifle that someone told them they had to have.

More often than not, you get to sell them a 300Wby, then a 300Win, then a 300WSM, then a 30-06, and finally a 308.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by mart
Back when I worked for a big gun shop I had several guys come in with a sad look and their guns in pieces in a box. Ruger Mark II's were a good one for that. Seemed to get a few of those every year.

Daggum BPS's!! I called 'em "Ziplock shotguns". Guy'd come in with the receiver and a ziplock bag fulla parts. It's one of the very few I wouldn't let them watch me work on because I never really knew how long it'd take. One would go right together and you'd look like a genius and the next would be a 45min reminder of how much I still don't know.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
The original "Dick's Clothing and Sporting Goods" was a real goo family owned store on Court Street in Binghampton, NY. They had a great gun department back in the day. I was in there once in the mid-70's and watched a kid behind the counter trying to sell an older guy a Ruger No. 1 in .25-06. The kid was almost sputtering and spitting with enthusiasm as he said to the guy, "This is a great caliber for road hunting!!! You can kill a deer as far away as you can see it with this rifle!!!"

Mathew 22: 37-39

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, Anaconda, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,446 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,411
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.