Print Thread
Hop To
338rcm Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Both of my son in laws are wanting to buy a new high power rifle,
probably in 30 06 for next years deer season

Have looked over the Ruger and am not impresses with the forearm flexibility.

Havent seen the other 2 mentioned

Thoughts and or preferences

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Find them Marlin XL7s. Although they have been discontinued, they are still available.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Of the the three you mention, the RAR. The stainless is actually pretty good looking in the right light. grin

I do like the Marlin, because of the regular magazine. I just don't care for detachables on hunting rifles. But that's my quirk.

Howas, a cut above the others, I think, can be had in the same price bracket if you shop online very carefully. Don't know about in LGS.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Find them Marlin XL7s. Although they have been discontinued, they are still available.

+1. The Marlin X guns are a heck of a value.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You couldn't give me a Rem. 783. And I'd pass in the discontinued Marlin as they will probably be warranted by Remington, who's service sucks.

The Ruger American is already a proven shooter. And would be my hands down choice if the three mentioned. YMMV

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Dre Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spend the little extra and get a tikka. I bough a blued version t3 lite on sale for 449. Buy once cry once. I painted the stock in tan and it looks sharp.
I held rar side by side with a tikka and it was not comparable.
I use to own a mossberg 4x4, it was a pretty good gun. But cheap. It Shot good, I just didn't like the fact the bolt would not lock with safety on.
I would also look at TC venture. It's a little heavier than my tikka, but also a tack driver and are underrated guns.

Last edited by Dre; 08/29/15.

All of them do something better than the 30-06, but none of them do everything as well.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
W
A Savage is hard to beat for consistent accuracy. I had a 110 years ago that was very accurate with no modifications to make it that way. I paid $250.00 for it at a pawn shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't forget the box store ADL combo. The local SW sells the blued for $399 and stainless for $499.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
First, of your three options I've only handled and shot the RAR. I'll probably try one eventually in 223 due to the twist rate. The actions on the ones I've handled were kinda rough and I'm not wild about the forearm either. I had a Rem 710, one of the predecessors to the 783. Horrible rifle - heavy, bulky, and the action felt like it had sandpaper in it. I don't think I've ever seen the Mossberg in person.

Of the others mentioned in the thread, the Tikka is fantastic but pricier than the ones you listed. I have a couple of the Marlin X guns and that route would be my absolute first choice in the base level rifles. If your SILs aren't dead-set on a 30-06, Whitaker Guns had stainless 7mm-08s on clearance for about $270 as of last month. I picked up one and couldn't be happier.

Last edited by TATELAW; 08/29/15.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one stainless RAR and the action was rough when new. Its really pretty slick now. I'm more concerned with the quality of the barrel and trigger than how the bolt feels when its manipulated though.

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Newer versions of the RAR have a slightly re-designed forend and are stiffer. But even the older versions work just fine after a generous free float. Took me about 10 minutes with files and sand paper.

The Tikka is a good option too. But the more I shoot the RAR's the less I think the Tikka is any better.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Only budget rifles I've tried out are the Savage Axis(.270) and the Mossberg ATR(7-08)...They were both good shooters(the Savage was a little better, but not enough to make a difference deer hunting). Wife of one of my buddies won the Mossberg in a drawing a few years ago and puts venison in the freezer every year with it.

You can get the Mossberg ATR in Walnut for about the same price as long as you don't mind a short action, no flies on the .308...just find one of the blind mag versions, much better shaped stock IMO...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Remington 783 is a good value for what it is. Mine in .30-06 is accurate enough for removing from the box, mounting a scope, and taking deer with factory ammo. Like all these Tupperware stocked rifles, I find they are a bit too flexible, serviceable but not ideal, especially if used with a bipod. I found the barrel would shift from side-to-side in the forend when a Harris bipod was mounted on the plastic sling swivel mount molded into the stock, and any pressure was applied to the butt placed on a sandbag. Also that sling swivel was placed too far forward for bipod use.

I discovered that the stock has an internal boss with a hole that could be modified to hold a steel 10/32 machine thread sling swivel stud. The hole would have to be counter bored to seat the nut so as not to touch the barrel, and the stud shank cut to match.

Bipod on factory plastic stud:

[Linked Image]

Factory boss showing where a Uncle Mike's swivel stud could be mounted (on the outside of the stock, of course) relocating the bipod in a more reinforced position.

[Linked Image]

Rear position of bipod after modification:

[Linked Image]

Another alternative is to use a Boyd's laminated stock. They run around $100 plus shipping finished and drop-in ready, that comes with three swivel swivel studs installed in the varmint thumbhole stock. Below is a Boyd's I purchased just to tinker with the 783.

[Linked Image]

That blued barrel is the factory original 22" .30-06 barrel, while the rifle sports a prefit Criterion 24" heavy sporter stainless steel barrel in .25-06. These barrels interchange using small shank Savage barrel nuts, and any recoil lug that fits the Savage 10/110 or Remington 700. The scope is a Redfield Revenge 6-18x44.

With the Ruger American I believe that the recoil lug is part of the stock, which is okay, but not as flexible to modify as the Remington. However the Ruger also comes with regular swivel studs attached, and a tang safety (my favorite as it is on my Ruger #1 & #3 rifles). Both the Remington and Ruger have a sear release adjustable trigger. Both come with scope bases, however I had to change out the two piece weaver style bases for an Evolution Gun Works Long Action Remington 783 Picatinny rail base, to have a greater range of adjustment in mounting the scope's eye relief. http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=product&id=1282

The Ruger differs from the Remington in that the bolt has three locking lugs, while the Remington has two. I have several rifles with three locking lugs, including Cooper and Wichita models, and one old Remington 788 with nine rear locking lugs. In a rifle of this class, the number of locking lugs doesn’t seem to make much difference, other than in bolt lift. Ruger also chose a modified American action for the new Ruger Long Range Rifle, which may be a recommendation. both the American and 783 will shoot groups around 1.0" to 2.0" with factory ammo they like, with the odd rifle doing better. Handloading may well better that performance.

While I own and appreciate the Remington 783, I'd recommend taking a good look at the Ruger American, it may be the better deal for the casual hunter not interested in reinventing the wheel.

P.S.: If you need a Picatinny rail type base for your Ruger American, look here: http://www.egwguns.com/index.php?p=...r+American+scope+bases&x=12&y=11

Last edited by WranglerJohn; 08/30/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info on the 783, WranglerJohn.

How low of a pull weight can you get on the 783? On the RAR, you can remove the trigger spring to lower the pull.

Jason

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
783's in 30-06 were on sale last year for $287.
I wasnt "looking" for another rifle at the time but they were on sale and also had a $40 rebate on them so I picked one up.

Fair rifle for the price. It does what it supposed to do.

Academy sells Remington 700's for $377, as does wal mart.

I prefer the 700 over the 783.

Remington has a fall $40 rebate on the 783, and $35 on 700's.

http://www.remington.com/pages/news...omotions/Fall%202015%20Firearms%20Rebate

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I'd go Ruger RAR, then the 783. I just can't gag down a Mossberg bolt rifle.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
338rcm -

Not to be offensive --

non of the above.

IMO - for myself - for little more you can get better quality.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 74 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,479
Posts18,471,757
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.