Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I seem to have the one smoothbore slug gun that doesn't like Brenneke's. My old 870 flings Remington, Winchester, or Federal foster style slugs to the same point of impact all day long, but just can't group the Brenneke's for some reason. You gotta love shooting a deer with a flying ash tray!

Brenneke makes (made?) a KO sabot slug that looks almost the same as teh foster KO slugs. The box is / was extremely similar as i recall.

There's a chance you might be shooting the KO sabots out of the smoothbore.

Worth a look.

FWIW, i have a rifled hastings barrel that would stack the Brenneke KO sabots on top of one another at 75 yards. Extremely low recoil. I am guessing slow as well, as the delay was hystierical... Boom... thwack. The groups fell apart by 100yards. Weird.

I like Breneke KO stuff a lot. Inexpensive and very effective.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
You'll probably have to try several brands, however, I'd try Winchester Super X 2 & 3/4 inch 1 ounce fosters and the odds are you won't need to try anything else. 7 smoothbore slug guns between me & the kids, 2 20 gauge, 5 12gauge and we use Winchester Super X slugs in all of them with great results. I'd go as far to say that if I found a barrel that wouldn't shoot them I'd sell it and look for another barrel. Additionally they are reasonably priced and if Winchester has a rebate and they are on sale like I found them last year, they came to $1.25 for a box of 5 after rebate.

I have 3 1300's but all have drilled and tapped receivers from the factory, so have no experience with a saddle mount on them.

If you go the saddle mount route I'd go with a Weaver Converta Mount, it's the best one I've found because it's not really a saddle mount. We use the Weaver Converta mount successfully on an Ithaca 37, 2 1100's and an 11-87.

Be aware if you use a Weaver Converta Mount on a 1300, there is only one trigger pin, and therefore you need to drill an additional hole on the side of the receiver to firmly mount the side plate. Also, make sure you get the regular model, not the "see under" model cause your cheek is to high off the stock with the "see under' model.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Federal makes a TruBall deep penetrator that looked impressive on You Tube. One oz. copper-plated. Only 1300 fps or so, but went really deep in the jello. About a buck a pop.

Another option to try. Find one that works for you and stock up.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
+1 on equipping your shotgun with a scope, I mounted a scope on my slug gun many years ago. A Weaver V4.5 has been my scope of choice, I have had one on an Ithaca M/37 and on my current Winchester M/25. Both have been mounted in a Weaver top mount, never have liked saddle mounts, side mounts or cantilever mounts. Scopes mounted solidly on top like on a rifle have been absolutely dependable in my experience, that is why my choice of shotgun has been one with enough material in the top of the receiver to allow proper drilling and tapping.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My advice is to start cheap and work up. If Remmie Sluggers work stick with them, if not try the Winchesters.

Once you find one that works, buy as much of it as you feel you need.

I'm come from Ohio and got used to shooting slugs in the mid-80s. Looking for the "best" is going to be an expensive quest. The trick is finding ammo that does what you want it to do and then stick with it.

I picked Remmie sluggers for my Rem 1100 as a first choice and got a cloverleaf at 50 yards and stopped right there.

Lot to lot differences seem to be a bigger problem with shotgun slugs than any other ammo type I've encountered. This year's batch may work, but next year's will suck. I've even seen K-Mart's work and Walmart's suck out of the same year. That's why I say you should stock up with whatever seems to work.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (12344mag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 1234, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,556 guests, and 1,345 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,573
Posts18,491,951
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.