Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Nice to have somebody like RJM here to tell us how it really is being a cop.
I understand that no Kalifornia police agency will hire anyone who has been in any of the military special forces units. LAPD and other departments will not hire ex Marines.

Don't know where you came up with this bit of misinformation, but it's incorrect. The LAPD has traditionally been a Marine Corps "mafia", with LAPD organizations, clubs and fraternal groups made up of former Marines. It's encouraged. Academy training is still based on Marine cadence calls and PT; the student class leader will traditionally be a former Marine.

Probably close to 30-40% of the new recruits now have military prior service in their background. Former military get preference in hiring. The department actively recruits on Camp Pendleton, FT Bragg, FT Irwin, etc. Ex-military (including SOF) are encouraged to join and are VERY well treated by the department. They're older with more life experience, which Personnel Div and cadre both realize and desire. Having come from an SOF background with 24+ years on the LAPD, I think I have some insight into our hiring practices.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 09/07/15.
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Just read an article that stated an average CCWER who practices twice a year has more range time than the average NYPD cop

It also goes on to say how the Nypd Policy is to minimize firearms traing, with the belief that more firearms training will cause the officers to make the choice to utilize their firearms on duty more often

http://m.animalnewyork.com/2015/i-u...simulator-and-learned-i-should-be-a-cop/

That's brilliant, ain't it?

The only next logical step would be to take their handguns away entirely.

It worked so well for the British "Bobbies"? RIGHT???

At least, if you took their handguns away from the NYCPD, the general law abiding population would be safer. The article makes no mention of where those 84 slugs all eventually landed.

You must be one of the guys who never misses his stationary paper target

You seem to have a bit of difficulty recognizing the sarcasm in the first two lines of my previous post.

First off, any criticism is aimed squarely at the Mayor, the Police Commissioner, and the rest of the policy makers. They set the tone for the Dept. They discourage the rank and file from becoming proficient with the tools of their trade.

That said, whatever your trade may be, if it involves tools which deliver deadly force, it behooves one to become proficient with that tool.

If you drive a truck, you better drive it in a manner which does not endanger the public.

If you work in medicine you better do your job, so that you do not cause harm to your patients.

And if you carry a gun on your hip, one would think you should have a moral imperative to learn to use it in a manner which is safe to the general public. Even if management should discourage such a mindset.

As to the last paragraph of my post, I will let you attempt to tell us that cops poorly trained in marksmanship never hit an innocent bystander when attempting to shoot a felon.

Does not a NYCPD shooter OWN that bullet until it comes to its final resting place?

While I have never been involved in combat, I am a smart enough hunter to hold my fire until I have a very high likelihood of hitting my target, and to ensure that I have a safe back stop.

It seems that is a mindset which would work well in police work, if not military combat where suppressive fire is a common tactic.

Some good points in your post, however

Truck drivers and medical professionals learn a great deal of their trade through experience, how do you propose cops get experience with running gunfights?

Noone bats 1000% in a gunfight, regardless of training

Gun fights are not hunting arena there is no way to equate the two. Waiting for a good shot in a gunfight may put you on the wrong end of the other guys good shot

People continuously fail to take in account the stress levels and adrenaline levels present in a gunfight and most gunfights don't exactly take place in chosen locations.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Hey RGK, you asked how long the gun fight lasted. . My brother made a couple of phone calls to his friends in the NYPD . Less then a minute! My brothers friend said it is a detectives nightmare :-) he is trying to get more info on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK
Nice to have somebody like RJM here to tell us how it really is being a cop.
I understand that no Kalifornia police agency will hire anyone who has been in any of the military special forces units. LAPD and other departments will not hire ex Marines.

Don't know where you came up with this bit of misinformation, but it's incorrect. The LAPD has traditionally been a Marine Corps "mafia", with LAPD organizations, clubs and fraternal groups made up of former Marines. It's encouraged. Academy training is still based on Marine cadence calls and PT; the student class leader will traditionally be a former Marine.

Probably close to 30-40% of the new recruits now have military prior service in their background. Former military get preference in hiring. The department actively recruits on Camp Pendleton, FT Bragg, FT Irwin, etc. Ex-military (including SOF) are encouraged to join and are VERY well treated by the department. They're older with more life experience, which Personnel Div and cadre both realize. Having come from an SOF background with 24+ years on the LAPD, I think I have some insight into our hiring practices.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by BamBam
Hey RGK, you asked how long the gun fight lasted. . My brother made a couple of phone calls to his friends in the NYPD . Less then a minute! My brothers friend said it is a detectives nightmare :-) he is trying to get more info on it.

Roger that; several different crime scenes, canvassing for witnesses at each and empty fired cases galore. This caper will be analyzed, picked apart and lessons learned for future coppers. And no good guys got hurt. Win-win.
Bob

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bill Allard and jim Cirillo were both NYPD officers and they were holly terror in a gunfight.

Allard was the 1982 National Civilian Pistol Champion; Cirillo shot and competed in PPC for training. Both were initially recruited from the ranks of the NYPD Pistol Team. Allard was the firearms/tactics instructor for the SOU and personally selected each candidate, based on his scores shooting the old Police "L" course, which is fired one-handed with a revolver.

As far as the hit ratio on suspects go, this one was somewhat low, as it was a running gun battle with the suspect shooting back (makes a difference sometimes). All the cops fired one magazine at the suspect. All were sure of their background. The NYPD hit ratio overall has been rising steadily over the last few years; aberrations like this shooting will occur, despite all the calls for "more training" by the uninformed. The NYPD range at Rodman's Neck outside the Bronx is going 24-7, qualifying 35,000 cops (2 times yearly). Also included is shotgun and subgun work, plainclothes qual, academy students, gun repair, bomb detail, etc. Juggling the equivalent of more than two Army infantry divisions that need to train constantly is quite a logistical feat. Police work doesn't revolve around gun-handling skills; it's important, but only a small portion of doing a good job and finishing your tour in one piece and your career intact.

Two or three points that most don't consider, or care about:
1. In a real gunfight, you don't pick your "scenario", unlike most of the shooters here at their weekly range practice.

2. Lots of rounds available in a gunfight is always good; you keep shooting until the bad guy gives up or dies. You take the shot you're offered, good or bad. Two of the cops in this shooting were highly experienced distinguished marksmen. Good shooters don't always win the day with a well-executed head shot from 50 meters.

3. No one but the suspect was injured; it was a good day for the citizens, cops and the NYPD. Cops won. This incident will be analyzed and critiqued all the way up to Chief level. Lessons will be learned and implemented. That's how it's done in a large organization.
Bob
Wild Bill Hickok's only training regimen was to fire five rounds from each of his revolvers before sundown in his back yard at a static target, thus emptying them, followed by reloading them with fresh powder, balls, and caps before setting them by his bed for the night. I guess he owed his success at gun fighting mainly to attitude and steely nerves.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RGK
Originally Posted by jwp475

Bill Allard and jim Cirillo were both NYPD officers and they were holly terror in a gunfight.

Allard was the 1982 National Civilian Pistol Champion; Cirillo shot and competed in PPC for training. Both were initially recruited from the ranks of the NYPD Pistol Team. Allard was the firearms/tactics instructor for the SOU and personally selected each candidate, based on his scores shooting the old Police "L" course, which is fired one-handed with a revolver.

As far as the hit ratio on suspects go, this one was somewhat low, as it was a running gun battle with the suspect shooting back (makes a difference sometimes). All the cops fired one magazine at the suspect. All were sure of their background. The NYPD hit ratio overall has been rising steadily over the last few years; aberrations like this shooting will occur, despite all the calls for "more training" by the uninformed. The NYPD range at Rodman's Neck outside the Bronx is going 24-7, qualifying 35,000 cops (2 times yearly). Also included is shotgun and subgun work, plainclothes qual, academy students, gun repair, bomb detail, etc. Juggling the equivalent of more than two Army infantry divisions that need to train constantly is quite a logistical feat. Police work doesn't revolve around gun-handling skills; it's important, but only a small portion of doing a good job and finishing your tour in one piece and your career intact.

Two or three points that most don't consider, or care about:
1. In a real gunfight, you don't pick your "scenario", unlike most of the shooters here at their weekly range practice.

2. Lots of rounds available in a gunfight is always good; you keep shooting until the bad guy gives up or dies. You take the shot you're offered, good or bad. Two of the cops in this shooting were highly experienced distinguished marksmen. Good shooters don't always win the day with a well-executed head shot from 50 meters.

3. No one but the suspect was injured; it was a good day for the citizens, cops and the NYPD. Cops won. This incident will be analyzed and critiqued all the way up to Chief level. Lessons will be learned and implemented. That's how it's done in a large organization.
Bob
Wild Bill Hickok's only training regimen was to fire five rounds from each of his revolvers before sundown in his back yard at a static target, thus emptying them, followed by reloading them with fresh powder, balls, and caps before setting them by his bed for the night. I guess he owed his success at gun fighting mainly to attitude and steely nerves.

Can't argue with that. Shooting daily probably didn't hurt, either.
Bob

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob
Those that knew the man said he had filed off the front sights of his revolvers so he wouldn't be tempted to use them in a gun fight (the opposite of modern gun fighting theory). He just pointed them instinctively. Those close to him also said he was only, at best, a fair shot when he took careful aim with a sighted revolver. I don't believe he is recorded to have ever killed a man who was further away than 20 feet.

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
I had never heard anything about LAPD being anything less than gun/Marine/SF friendly...with the number of BGs out that way and the shootouts they get into it just would not make sense...

A minute can seem like an eternity...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RGK

Bob
Those that knew the man said he had filed off the front sights of his revolvers so he wouldn't be tempted to use them in a gun fight (the opposite of modern gun fighting theory). He just pointed them instinctively. Those close to him also said he was only, at best, a fair shot when he took careful aim with a sighted revolver. I don't believe he is recorded to have ever killed a man who was further away than 20 feet.

Better read his history yourself...he killed a card dealer at 70 yards...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Bill_Hickok_%E2%80%93_Davis_Tutt_shootout

Can't do that point shooting....his sights are still on his guns...

https://www.google.com/search?q=wild+bill+hickok%27s+guns&tbm=isch&imgil=68F_mhsdVm_YKM%253A%253BdlD-vBCS1Y5M8M%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.flickr.com%25252Fphotos%25252Ftoby_d1%25252F3590186084&source=iu&pf=m&fir=68F_mhsdVm_YKM%253A%252CdlD-vBCS1Y5M8M%252C_&biw=1225&bih=539&usg=__5gUpA-LH2jcyCQM7KleMdcYfx-E%3D&ved=0CCsQyjdqFQoTCOjO547Q5ccCFYI5PgodtXoN8w&ei=OOHtVejSJILz-AG19bWYDw#imgrc=68F_mhsdVm_YKM%3A&usg=__5gUpA-LH2jcyCQM7KleMdcYfx-E%3D

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Regarding police gun fighting, or anything else for that matter -

'No generalization is worth a damn, including this one!'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gunfights tend to be harder in real life than on TV. Add the physiological changes that occur, like loss of fine motor skills, with vision loss, hearing loss, ect and it becomes a little more challenging. Add in the fear of being shot and defecating or pissing your self and the fun really begins.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sights are still on these. Provenance is not 100%, but the folks at Cody seemed to think these are his last 2 Navies.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's been a long time since we've had a thread this full of misinformation.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I'm not convinced those are his. Folks who actually knew the man said that both his revolvers went missing soon after his death. One was given to an Indian friend of Bill's, soon after which he too was shot dead from behind and the gun taken, never to be seen again.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It's been a long time since we've had a thread this full of misinformation.

Roger that.
Bob

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That is the way it was at one time. Not anymore.
Where did I get that information ? Jeff Cooper mentioned it before he died, for one.
The ban on hiring anybody from special forces is state wide in Kalifornia. And that information comes from someone who is retired from the San Jose PD's brass. Other branches of the military are not so banned. Air Force, Army and Navy people are hired and often prefered.
All of this came about in the last few years. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You're wrong. So just sit there in your wrongness and think about how wrong you are.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That is the way it was at one time. Not anymore.
Where did I get that information ? Jeff Cooper mentioned it before he died, for one.
The ban on hiring anybody from special forces is state wide in Kalifornia. And that information comes from someone who is retired from the San Jose PD's brass. Other branches of the military are not so banned. Air Force, Army and Navy people are hired and often prefered.
All of this came about in the last few years. E

Was that before or after you were kicked out of law enforcement and convicted of shooting an unarmed suspect, false reports, planting evidence, etc.?

The word of a LA SWAT officer (recently retired) is going to carry more weight than your words, Rocklin.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
LAPD has long had the reputation of the highest gunfight survival rate among large police organizations anywhere in the world.
The skills they use were developed by Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver, and several others way back in the 1960's.
The last I heard, they still train their cops that way. They shoot alot. Both with side arms and their shotguns.
In spite of all of this, their "Politically Correct" shooting policies are so demanding that very few dare doing any shooting. Even in self defense.
On top of that, the temperment of many of their new hires are really not suited to effective shooting. When they were hunting the ex-cop that killed some of them, they managed to fire 117 rds. at a truck containing two women that did not match the description of the suspects truck. The range was aprox. 50 yds. shortly before sunrise in good light. Luckly, they only wounded one of the women in a non serious way. E

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,279 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,681
Posts18,513,394
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.