Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
The other day whilst watching one of Larry Potterfield's "how to" shorts, he was loading paper patch ammo for one of his Sharps. After loading the powder and wad, I watched him literally pour the molten grease medium into the case, let solidify then proceed with the rest of the loading process. Any of you experts do or even seen anyone do this? J

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not an expert and no I have not. Lube migration is already a problem for hot weather areas.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
With a properly sized, THICK ENOUGH vegetable fiber wad, and a beeswax rich lube , should be do-able.

Don't ask me how one would control the volume, though.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I know of a fella that uses a dipper to drop the melted lube into the case for his grease cookies.
Not a very common practice.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I spose one could use a eye dropper smile
I think Larry should stay with his gun smiting instead loading PP rounds smile

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Larry is 3/4 off of full plumb!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
With a properly sized, THICK ENOUGH vegetable fiber wad, and a beeswax rich lube , should be do-able.

Don't ask me how one would control the volume, though.

GTC

Greg,

That was exactly my thought -- it could be done, but how could you make pouring as consistent as cutting a grease cookie from a uniform sheet for example?

John

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know that you could John. As I said (and Cross will verify) lube migration is a prob for hot region shooters as it is. The only way this looks doable is for that batch of ammo to get used PRONTO as in as soon as it sets up.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I don't know that you could John. As I said (and Cross will verify) lube migration is a prob for hot region shooters as it is. The only way this looks doable is for that batch of ammo to get used PRONTO as in as soon as it sets up.

To be honest, I hadn't thought of the lube migrating with warm temperatures.

Up here near the Arctic Circle, it is pretty much Fall already, and the hottest day we had this summer was 24C (75F).

At the temperatures they get in the southern parts of the US, I'd be worried about ME melting, not just the lube in my ammo! smile

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EvilTwin

With the right wads, and lube formula this WILL work,...John Walters makes "Tight Wads" in .030 and .060,....I'd venture that it would take a pretty oily lube to penetrate one of those.
Sure doesn't make much sense to focus on uniform and consistent bullet weights, and than throw everything out of kilter with wampus grease cookie protocols.

Sure would make for damn good weatherproofing, I guess.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've dabbled a little with lube cookies. I melted SPG in a baking pan, until it was in a layer about 1/8" thick. Then set it aside to cool.

prime & charge cases, compress the powder with a die, put a wad over the powder. Then push the case mouth into the layer of lube, like a cookie cutter. Thumb seat another wad on top of the cookie, then use a 7.62x39 case head to push the wad & cookie against the over-powder wad. Seat bullet.

Not claiming it's the best way, but it worked for me.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't think of one good reason to give this a try. crazy

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Me neither, but since I saw Larry do it, I figured to ask here!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have you got a link to that vid ?

GTC

jorgeI Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
no sir, it was on TV.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Gun Stories with Joe Montagna. Sharps Rifles. Good show. saw the sequence about the PP ammo with Potterfield.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Make the volume of the dipper exactly what you want and it will dispense the same amt each time as long as you fill to the top and don't spill any. A cookie mold is the only way to fly for exact consistency of the cookies size and damned all easier to use than cutting cookies from the sheet method. Magnum Man

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Have you got a link to that vid ?

GTC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAZyvd0jCfM

I tried it once. Seemed to work OK, I guess.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well, he's got the right wads, and a dipper spooled up out of some sorta' short cartridge case that should give pretty repeatable payloads.
I don't see how this CAN'T work.
No WAY that lube gets past that Walters vegetable fiber wad.

.....NEAT !

GTC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Accurate my backside, not with those twisted tails, there won't be any accuracy..

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

343 members (16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 46 invisible), 2,554 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,419
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.