Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My archery area, near Collbran, CO, is still in the mid to high 80's every day forcast out to the next two weeks. It was so hot last week we could barely sneak in an afternoon nap between hunts.

GB1

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Some nice bulls were killed by other hunters but we just couldn't put it together. Half the camp got sick, we were close every time out, the nontag holders had the bulls in kill range... Frustrating!!!

Kent

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Krp: Supposed to get to a very unseasonal high of 80 degrees here in SW Montana today (81 tomorrow!) - average for this date 62'ish!
Half a moon last night - things should cool down and perk up soon?
Sorry you weren't successful - it still great to get out in out in the mountains in September!
Keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have been following this thread with interest as I have an elk hunt in Colorado that starts in just under three weeks . My wife has been in Jackson, WY, for 8 or 9 days, and elk bugling all night long have been keeping her awake. I thought that was a little strange, given what I have seen posted here on the campfire. However, I just got off the phone with a friend who said that he had been in Taos and Red River in northern New Mexico over the weekend. The elk there were bugling constantly and the bulls were herding harems--the same behavior that my wife reported from Jackson.

Last edited by mudhen; 09/21/15.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Krp: Supposed to get to a very unseasonal high of 80 degrees here in SW Montana today (81 tomorrow!) - average for this date 62'ish!
Half a moon last night - things should cool down and perk up soon?
Sorry you weren't successful - it still great to get out in out in the mountains in September!
Keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

You do realize cows come into heat and will be bred regardless of weather conditions or the moon right?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lots of noise in NV. This one bugled on command. Awesome sight!

[Linked Image]

talked this one in to 30'.

[Linked Image]

LOL
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Bulls are bugling and have been, but there is a difference in rutting activity bugles and pecking order activity bugles. Usually the rut is very active by the 18th.

I can draw that tag next year with my bonus points. this year the hunt started on the 11th, 2016 is the 9th and 2017 is the 15th. I will decide next feb which year I want to hunt.

Kent

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
2017 Kent!

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Callnum: I have been Hunting Elk for 53+ years now and I do realize "a lot" about their breeding habits - in fact I saw a mature (6x6) Bull this morning mounting a cow about 3 miles from my home.
Sadly said Elk were on a private ranch and are immune to my advances because of my unwillingness to pay the $10,000.00 (ten thousand dollar!) tresspass fee to get sweaty and Hunt them thereon.
The Elk though, are now bugling MUCH more frequently than they were 15 days ago when I first posted.
You do realize, callnum, that Elk are more active (observeable) to human Hunters during days that occur during the dark of the moon?
This day time increase in "dark of the moon" activity occurs both during the rutting season and after the rutting season as well.
Get after'em boys.
Good luck all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have very little response from the elk across the street from Enrique with my hunter. I called in one bull is all. The rest could have cared less. They would answer and you would try and outguess them. Lots of silent bulls and only saw one big bull the whole hunt and that was the opening morning with Enrique- a 390" bull that got away. The rest of the bull tending cows were what would normally be satellite bulls.

The bull in Kent's video was typical of the bull size with cows. I am headed to 10 on Thursday- hope the rut is better and nobody else gets sick!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
On the hoof the evening before we saw that bull, originally I thought he was a 340ish bull in the trees. But looking at the video he's narrow, I'm thinking 320 to 330 6X7. He was sniffing all the cow's butts and not sticking with one... he'll get his ass kicked once a cow goes into heat. The breeders let that size bull round up the cows and keep the rags off, then walk in slow and threatening when it's time to get the job done.

Kent

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by krp

There's bugling and then there's 'we're F'n' bugling that horns up all the bulls, I can tell the difference and they never were F'n.

Didnt happen for me in Utah either. Managed to find a real old bull and took him. It will be interesting to get his age from the DWR.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by rosco1
Originally Posted by krp

There's bugling and then there's 'we're F'n' bugling that horns up all the bulls, I can tell the difference and they never were F'n.

Didnt happen for me in Utah either. Managed to find a real old bull and took him. It will be interesting to get his age from the DWR.

How would they know?

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
They have hunters send in teeth on LE kills.then they are sent to a lab, I have heard USU does it for them but not sure.

Last edited by rosco1; 09/21/15.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TheBlueMountainApe
Opening day they headed for the ranches, huh?

Smart buggers...

So it is not the wuffs? Astounding.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by krp

I was wondering how that hunt panned out for you. Congrats!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have hunters send in teeth on LE kills.then they are sent to a lab, I have heard USU does it for them but not sure.

In many species, including virtually all members of the deer family, there are annual rings laid down in the teeth as their growth rate varies during the course of a year. The tooth is decalcified, stained and sliced into very thin sections across the axis of the tooth. With a microscope, the rings in the tooth can be counted to determine the animal's age.

I have used this method to age deer, elk, nilgai, coyotes and bobcats at various times in my checkered career. When it was first developed, we assumed that the variations in growth rate that formed the rings were linked to annual variations in the quantity and quality of the food consumed. However, it was subsequently found that these rings were formed in the teeth of captive animals whose diets did not vary in quantity or quality over the course of a year.

If anyone has determined the root cause, I haven't heard about it, but I no longer keep up with the literature like I used to do. I suspect it is driven by hormones and photoperiod (annual variation in day length).

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Callnum: I have been Hunting Elk for 53+ years now and I do realize "a lot" about their breeding habits - in fact I saw a mature (6x6) Bull this morning mounting a cow about 3 miles from my home.
Sadly said Elk were on a private ranch and are immune to my advances because of my unwillingness to pay the $10,000.00 (ten thousand dollar!) tresspass fee to get sweaty and Hunt them thereon.
The Elk though, are now bugling MUCH more frequently than they were 15 days ago when I first posted.
You do realize, callnum, that Elk are more active (observeable) to human Hunters during days that occur during the dark of the moon?
This day time increase in "dark of the moon" activity occurs both during the rutting season and after the rutting season as well.
Get after'em boys.
Good luck all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Whole lot on nonsense here as usual. Weather, moon, private land, wolves, blah, blah, is just excuses for guys that don't kill elk.

K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
You mean it's an excuse for a certain pattern to be absent.

Killing elk is easy... killing elk in a specific manner may not happen.

Of course at some point if chasing/calling bugles isn't productive, you need to hunt elk where they are.

Kent

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by mudhen

In many species, including virtually all members of the deer family, there are annual rings laid down in the teeth as their growth rate varies during the course of a year. The tooth is decalcified, stained and sliced into very thin sections across the axis of the tooth. With a microscope, the rings in the tooth can be counted to determine the animal's age.

I have used this method to age deer, elk, nilgai, coyotes and bobcats at various times in my checkered career. When it was first developed, we assumed that the variations in growth rate that formed the rings were linked to annual variations in the quantity and quality of the food consumed. However, it was subsequently found that these rings were formed in the teeth of captive animals whose diets did not vary in quantity or quality over the course of a year.

If anyone has determined the root cause, I haven't heard about it, but I no longer keep up with the literature like I used to do. I suspect it is driven by hormones and photoperiod (annual variation in day length).

Pulled the center two to send in..Not much Ivory left there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by pointer
I was wondering how that hunt panned out for you. Congrats!

Thanks. Spent 10 days on the mountain alone, looked over lots of bulls. This guy gave me a great hunt, he won round one in the timber. The next day I caught him in some country that gave me a slight advantage, he still used the tall oak brush really well,he was responding to my calling efforts,but never came in..Ended up shooting him at 50-60 yards thru a small opening.Weak 5ths seemed to be a theme this year in that area..Good luck to you in WY.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

661 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 79 invisible), 3,597 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,635
Posts18,533,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.