Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I like my Timney trigger. Want all my rifle triggers to feel the same.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by liliysdad
Stoning the trigger works great...for a while. Before long, it will wear,

And to what do you attribute the (premature?) wear to?

MM

My (un)educated guess would be the removal of surface hardening. I have witnessed this same phenomenon in other guns with much the same treatment.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then you would have had to stone a lot off if was surface hardened in the 1st place, which likely it was not unless it was a very cheap one.

As in a few thousandths.

MM

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The problem is most try to change the angle to get a lighter pull. Stock, you can see the hammer pull back as you pull the trigger. Take enough off to stop that and you have an unsafe time bomb. Don't change the angle and you've done nothing that dry firing wouldn't have accomplished.

This is why it's a better idea to change triggers. I don't really care what anyone else uses and I can use a good stock trigger but people need to know what they are talking about before posting this nonsense of tuning a stock trigger.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Pretty much decided on Timney. Seems to be well regarded and appears to be among easiest to install. I am a hobby shooter, not a "smith". Thinking 3# trigger; primary use will be paper & varmints. Am comfortable with Sako, pre64 70's, S&W, etc. 3# Timney in LMT?? YES, NO?? Thanks, Erik in MI

Last edited by Citori16; 09/24/15.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For your application, you'll really like the Timney. It will fill very similar to your other rifles.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MichiganScott
Go with the RRA. For $80, you can't beat it.

http://www.ar15sales.com/store/miscparts.html

This is a little delayed, but wanted to say thanks for the link. I ordered one of these (the varmint version) after reading this thread, and installed it this weekend. I have to say I'm impressed, and it's better than I expected for the price.

I do my own trigger jobs on my ARs, and usually set them to about the same weight as this RRA Varmint trigger, so I was pleased at the weight and crisp break in this one. The break feels about the same as my other triggers; only complaint is the longer reset of the 2-stage setup, but I'm sure it's more reliable for long term use too.

Will probably buy more of these down the road too. Thanks!

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by TWR
The problem is most try to change the angle to get a lighter pull. Stock, you can see the hammer pull back as you pull the trigger. Take enough off to stop that and you have an unsafe time bomb. Don't change the angle and you've done nothing that dry firing wouldn't have accomplished.

This is why it's a better idea to change triggers. I don't really care what anyone else uses and I can use a good stock trigger but people need to know what they are talking about before posting this nonsense of tuning a stock trigger.

geuss I don't know a fugging thing and you are the guru of knowledge......................

only spent 24 yrs in the fugging infantry humping every gawtdamm model of 16/m4 from 83 -08

stoning properly involves not changing angles and only using emery cloth enough to expose the metal under the Parkerizing of the engagement surface of the trigger housing then using a stone and then lightly polishing that exposed metal surface and then lightly stoning the engagement surface of the hammer and lightly polishing that

you make it sound like Im using a wood rasp file or a dremel drill with a 80 grit wheel

materials used are 600 grit emery cloth wrapped around a small flat file to do away with the Parkerizing coating and a small fine Arkansas sharping stone with spit on it for lubricant to do the stoning and then flitz for the polishing

geuss I should have been more techy in my post.............

love getting sharpshooted by nuggs who think they are experts who never have walked the walk......................

fugg posting on the ar forum

some of ya are tackelberry wanna be fuggers

and aint never lived behind a trigger for a couple of decades

kmfwa..........................

Last edited by renegade50; 10/08/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Being in the infantry gives you exactly zero credibility when it comes to gunsmithing. Or even, in my experience, of even being a proficient shooter. The best in the business of the military will quickly admit that soldiers, even ninja soldiers, are seldom gun guys.

I'm grateful for every soldier's service. But I'm also completely worn out on the "I was in the military so I am omniscient on all things that go bang". Cuz it just ain't so. And when that is so, it's only because of what those folks did OUTSIDE of their infantry training that made them so.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Being in the infantry gives you exactly zero credibility when it comes to gunsmithing. Or even, in my experience, of even being a proficient shooter. The best in the business of the military will quickly admit that soldiers, even ninja soldiers, are seldom gun guys.

I'm grateful for every soldier's service. But I'm also completely worn out on the "I was in the military so I am omniscient on all things that go bang". Cuz it just ain't so. And when that is so, it's only because of what those folks did OUTSIDE of their infantry training that made them so.

That was the one thing that sucked about being in the military. I didn't get to shoot as much as I do as a civilian.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since when are the engagement surfaces on milspec triggers parkerized?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by renegade50
[quote=TWR]
only spent 24 yrs in the fugging infantry humping every gawtdamm model of 16/m4 from 83 -08

materials used are 600 grit emery cloth wrapped around a small flat file to do away with the Parkerizing coating and a small fine Arkansas sharping stone with spit on it for lubricant to do the stoning and then flitz for the polishing

love getting sharpshooted by nuggs who think they are experts who never have walked the walk......................

fugg posting on the ar forum

some of ya are tackelberry wanna be fuggers

and aint never lived behind a trigger for a couple of decades

kmfwa..........................

look at you all grown up and everything showing us how a real man acts.

P.S. love your knowledge base regards the parkarized trigger contact surfaces!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK back on topic I just looked and you can get a RRA 2 stage trigger for $62 right now. quit worrying about springs, threading a takeup screw through the hand grip and all the other assorted BS. for that kind of money you simply can't beat it. I prefer the varmint version which can be had for less than 100, the RRA varmint trigger is comparable to ANYTHING out there. I have geisslle's most expensive trigger, high speed match rifle. if doing it over again I think I would just save money and go RRA varmint.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cummins has it covered

While renegade MAY know how to tweak, he would damn sure be rare just due to military service...

I"m with Blue on this, it gets old, its like saying I"m a cop, I konw guns... REALLY? SOme do, like Blue, but its rare IMHO.

Even a good friend here that is LEO, that has taken armorer courses, knows less about the workings of an AR than I do... and I"m not at all bragging in knowledge or use, but do konw them a bit...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got a varmint in my 6.8 hunting gun, fine trigger for a hunting gun. I paid $60 on sale for it.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jimmyp

P.S. love your knowledge base regards the parkarized trigger contact surfaces!

Must have been an infantry thing...... grin

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by rost495
Cummins has it covered

While renegade MAY know how to tweak, he would damn sure be rare just due to military service...

I"m with Blue on this, it gets old, its like saying I"m a cop, I konw guns... REALLY? SOme do, like Blue, but its rare IMHO.

Even a good friend here that is LEO, that has taken armorer courses, knows less about the workings of an AR than I do... and I"m not at all bragging in knowledge or use, but do konw them a bit...

As a cop, I agree 100%

There are gun guys, some of them happen to be Cops and Soldiers, other happen to be Plumbers...

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
A lot of folks have called me on even saying that trained military snipers are not the greatest shots.

Little do they know that generally shooting is a tiny part of what they do and frankly when snipers came to our matches from the field, to participate, and did not have their scoped bolt guns, I was not overly impressed.

I ain't saying they were shabby either, just that they were not as good as I thought they would be like us civi gun nuts were. LOL.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can someone point me to the RRA 2-stage Varmint for $62?
Thanks

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Might or might not still be on sale... I did a google a while back and found em quick...

Give it a shot.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

243 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 26 invisible), 2,232 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,875
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.