Print Thread
Hop To
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I finally got my 7mm Valkyrie AR built. Its designed to get 7mm08 or near 7mm08 factory performance from an AR15. I just got it all together this week and had one trip to the range to get my hunting load for my Mule Deer trip in 8 days to the Sierras so instead of working up from scratch i sort of cheated and used a pet load of the cartridge designer to get sighted in and it worked for me so i stopped there and didn't try anything else i have loaded up. I'll play around with other loads after the season. The pet load was a 140gr Nosler BT with 38.4gr of Leverevolution powder and gave me a MV of about 2720fps. I chronied 3 shots at 2736, 2711, 2717 from a 22in 1/8 twist barrel. I didn't form the brass i just bought it preformed from the cat developer. The rifle worked like a champ cycled perfect, ejected each round and the bolt stayed locked back on the last round fired.

[Linked Image]

7mm Valkyrie AR next to a 6.5 Grendel
[Linked Image]

I had 3 mags with 3 rounds a piece 2 shots to get in the square the single shot in the square was walking it in then two groups from two strings.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/17/15.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a lot of powder, a lot of mass and a lot of velocity!
What case is it formed from?

Politics is War by Other Means
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone
That's a lot of powder, a lot of mass and a lot of velocity!
What case is it formed from?

Its formed from 6.5X47 Lapua and has around 42-43gr of total H2O capacity. A 6.8PRI mag holds 7 rounds and i'm told a 30AR mage will load 10 but have not yet tried it. The designer has a pressure trace system so i was pretty confident is just using his pet load although thats unwise as a general rule for reloading.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for limited return. I don't really get the purpose of this. The AR platform has it's uses(I have a couple myself) but this is not really one of them. If you want this power in that form why not get a AR10? For hunting you can get a 7mm/08 bolt-action deer rifle that would hold 10 rounds and be a lot lighter and hold up to the dirt etc from hunting much better. You would also not be pushing the pressure limits and having to get custom ammo, etc. That being said it takes all kinds smile if this is your thing have fun.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by fixitquick79
Seems like a lot of trouble to go through for limited return. I don't really get the purpose of this. The AR platform has it's uses(I have a couple myself) but this is not really one of them. If you want this power in that form why not get a AR10? For hunting you can get a 7mm/08 bolt-action deer rifle that would hold 10 rounds and be a lot lighter and hold up to the dirt etc from hunting much better. You would also not be pushing the pressure limits and having to get custom ammo, etc. That being said it takes all kinds smile if this is your thing have fun.

I'm not sure what "trouble" you are talking about. Building a 7mm VAR is not harder than building any AR-15 its the same parts except different barrel and bolt which is different for all the various caliber/cartridges available in the AR15 nothing is different or special about building a 7mmVAR. As far as loading/reloading its just a set of dies like any cartridge the brass can be purchased from the guy that designed the cartridge which is what I did. In other words nothing different. As far as the AR-15 not being used for hunting I guess you share that opinion with Obama, Nancy Pelosi, Diane Feinstein and the rest of the commie left gun grabber fascists. Americans have been hunting with auto loader rifles since the early 1900's. [Linked Image]

Hunting with auto loading rifles is a deep part of the American Hunting tradition as is using the same style rifles to hunt that we used in war. That tradition goes back to the very revolution that formed are country. As far as a bolt being a lot lighter this gun scoped is 9lbs about what my dads wood stock 30-06 weighted scoped.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/17/15.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
looks and sounds great. They don't call us 'rifle loonies' for nothing. smile

Sam......

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I don't think its weird or looney to want to hunt with a high powered auto loading rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Rifle loony is not a bad thing around here. Sort of a term of endearment.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Rifle loony is not a bad thing around here. Sort of a term of endearment.

Sorry if it sounded like I got my panties in a bundle just used to guys on here freaking out about hunting with a modern sporting rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
been shooting a 7mm Grendel for years, works well , easy die conversion from 6.5 Grendle , 7.62 x 39 bolt, PRI 6.8 mags, never a hiccup.

.... like tears in the rain
IC B3

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
This cat uses a 800 Series beefy bolt from ARP that handles the 308 case head on the 6.5X47 Lapua brass. What do you get for performance from the 7mm Grendel for a 140gr?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MSRHunt
I don't think its weird or looney to want to hunt with a high powered auto loading rifle.

no, of course not. I hunt with an AR rifle myself. Just a pat on the back from me, and the 'looney' part was not pejorative.

Last edited by Mannlicher; 09/17/15.

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This cat uses a 800 Series beefy bolt from ARP that handles the 308 case head on the 6.5X47 Lapua brass. What do you get for performance from the 7mm Grendel for a 140gr?

[Linked Image]

yep...still have a few from when H and Co were CO based.
used them on 6.5 and 30 BRX and 375BR uppers.
hadnt run bullets that heavy yet , mostly Speer TNTs .

I built a few for guys to do subsonic work with , 180 Bergers at 1050 fps , quiet as a mouse through a 30cal can.

Last edited by AKA_Spook; 09/17/15.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I finally got my 7mm Valkyrie AR built. Its designed to get 7mm08 or near 7mm08 factory performance from an AR15. I just got it all together this week and had one trip to the range to get my hunting load for my Mule Deer trip in 8 days to the Sierras so instead of working up from scratch i sort of cheated and used a pet load of the cartridge designer to get sighted in and it worked for me so i stopped there and didn't try anything else i have loaded up. I'll play around with other loads after the season. The pet load was a 140gr Nosler BT with 38.4gr of Leverevolution powder and gave me a MV of about 2720fps. I chronied 3 shots at 2736, 2711, 2717 from a 22in 1/8 twist barrel. I didn't form the brass i just bought it preformed from the cat developer. The rifle worked like a champ cycled perfect, ejected each round and the bolt stayed locked back on the last round fired.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I had 3 mags with 3 rounds a piece 2 shots to get in the square the single shot in the square was walking it in then two groups from two strings.

[Linked Image]

Interesting. Which zone did you draw? I have thought of a 6.8 for my wife to hunt with. Post up results if you score.

Last edited by smarquez; 09/17/15.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by smarquez
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Interesting. Which zone did you draw? I have thought of a 6.8 for my wife to hunt with. Post up results if you score.

I'll be in X10 down in Monache. I'm missing opening day due to a friends funeral but heading up after that.

Last edited by MSRHunt; 09/18/15.
M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook

[Linked Image]

yep...still have a few from when H and Co were CO based.
used them on 6.5 and 30 BRX and 375BR uppers.
hadnt run bullets that heavy yet , mostly Speer TNTs .

I built a few for guys to do subsonic work with , 180 Bergers at 1050 fps , quiet as a mouse through a 30cal can.

tell be about that 30BRX what performance do you get from a 150gr?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
if I remember correctly the 150's were breaking 2700 and being nowhere close to "hot" ..the 6.5 went well into 3300 with Speer TNTs also without a lot of pressure.
Its been so long and so many projects ago.

thus far Ive done the Grendel case on .204,224,6mm,7mm,30,338 and 375 calibers.

the BR brass had gotten so scarce and pricey in the obama gun rush .

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
i finished a 6.5BRX but have not shot it yet just working on hyrdroforming the brass.

M
MSRHunt Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
If people are wondering about why an AR15 instead of a AR10 I would say parts are more common, cheaper and lighter.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 70 invisible), 3,313 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.