Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Since no one else is going to answer your magnum question, you need to open up the bolt face, refit the extractor so it grips the bigger case, mag box needs to be lengthened for the longer magnums like 300 WBY and 8mm rem mag. The 338 win mag will function in the standard enfield mag box. A lot of guys wanting magnums on an enfield action just used the P14's because the bolt face was already opened up for the 303 British. Whatever you decide to do, take your time and do it right. I might also suggest having it cerakoted instead of blued. It may cost you less and protect the metal better than a good bluing job. Here's my 338 win mag I had cerakoted midnight blue:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I look forward to seeing pics of your enfield...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'm sure you are talking to the op, because that one I posted a pic of isn't a m1917 bolt handle... It is actually a factory sporterized M1917, done in England by Birmingham Small Arms company. No where near custom like the one you posted a pic of, but very usable and one of my favorite hunting rifles.

Yes, your bolt handle looks good.

The military dog leg bolt handle is ugly, IMO.

Of course, I like the Oberndorf looking handle, like Tom Burgess built.

If I was building on an Enfield, that's the look I'd want.

I have a 98 FN Mauser with that type handle and I like it a lot.

DF

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That's a beauty. One thing I have to comment on about the dog leg bolt handle is I've heard it can smack the shooters trigger finger upon firing the rifle. However, I've never had this happen since I shoot left handed.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I'm sure you are talking to the op, because that one I posted a pic of isn't a m1917 bolt handle... It is actually a factory sporterized M1917, done in England by Birmingham Small Arms company. No where near custom like the one you posted a pic of, but very usable and one of my favorite hunting rifles.

DF

[Linked Image]
Yes,but the bolt stem locks into the reciever for added safety. Look at the pic BSA has up above. See how it locks into the receiver in front of the safety.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one that one day will be finished its on a Winchester 1917 with a douglas barrel in a 300 Weatherby mag. Who ever ground the ears off they took to much metal so the rifle is at Dean Zollingers and get surfaced ground by my buddy under Dean supervision :)I bought some of the last 1917 bottom metal that Duane Wiebe made or was making. I got ahold Ed Lapour couple days ago asking about 3 position safety unfortunately he said he wont have any until next summer frown

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I have one that one day will be finished its on a Winchester 1917 with a douglas barrel in a 300 Weatherby mag. Who ever ground the ears off they took to much metal so the rifle is at Dean Zollingers and get surfaced ground by my buddy under Dean supervision :)I bought some of the last 1917 bottom metal that Duane Wiebe made or was making. I got ahold Ed Lapour couple days ago asking about 3 position safety unfortunately he said he wont have any until next summer frown

J, I had a custom built m1917 chambered in 300 WBY and it was a sweet shooter!!! Rifle was pretty heavy so recoil was minimized. I truly enjoyed shooting the rifle. 84gr's of 7828 got those 180's to moving pretty well...

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

DF

[Linked Image]
Yes,but the bolt stem locks into the reciever for added safety. Look at the pic BSA has up above. See how it locks into the receiver in front of the safety.

The lug stays. Cut the old bolt handle and weld the new one to the lug with no loss of action strength or alteration to the backup locking lug set up.

DF

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Ok gotcha.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Not sure with the M-70 set up or how the Enfield safety is hooked to the frame. It looks like the metal behind the bolt handle lug isn't there with the M-70 safety modification.

I've handled Enfields, just never took one apart to see how the safety works.

Would appreciate info from someone who has done that.

DF

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is a pic of my 1917 with the Burgess bolt handle.
[Linked Image]
I used one of Duane's first pieces of bottom metal. Didn't know that he was quitting.

Last edited by butchlambert1; 09/27/15.
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a 1917 made by Winchester that was converted to .300 H&H. I found it in a gun shop in Colorado Springs a few years back. The asking price was $99 + tax, when I looked at it the bolt face, feed rails, and bottom metal had been worked over, the original military barrel was rechambered, received was D&T, and a speed lock kit had been installed. So the price they were asking I thought it was a no brained.the hardest thing was finding the proper base to fit the screw spacing.

Here is how it pretty much looked like when I bought it.
[Linked Image]

I spent about $900 total including purchase, restocking, bedding, Timney trigger, and a Leupold VXIII 2.5-8X36. It was a fun project, but the rifle is a little on the heavy side, but it didn't turn out terrible.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Looks good.

Tough ole guns, for sure.

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I like that one too. Even with its dog leg bolt handle... grin

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

I'll have to agree with you on that...

DF

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
grin

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

Well the dog leg isn't my favorite nor the laminated stock, but I was trying to do this as cheaply as possible. Wound up getting into it for more money than I wanted as the stock was inleted so poorly I took it to Kevin Weaver to be massaged into shape and had him bed it. That was about $350 of the total money spent on the rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
15 years ago I watched my brother buy a 1917 30-06 in the parking lot of a gun show for $35.

The barrel wants a 303 bullet.

MacFarland's gunsmithing book devotes all 35 pages about sporterizing to the 1917:
http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-modern-gunsmithing-Harold-MacFarland/dp/0064634264

That is because the 1917 requires everything and more that other surplus rifles require for sporterizing.

This is my 50th year of sporterizing Mausers.
It is never worth it.
You have to want to do it.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I found another Burgess Enfield photo in my Photobucket Library.

DF
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Some beautiful rifles here. My P-14 was a relatively easy conversion to .375 H&H. Biggest problem was feeding properly, but all in price was under $800, so l can't kick. Heavy, but with that round, l don't mind.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I found another Burgess Enfield photo in my Photobucket Library.

DF
[Linked Image]

DF, That is one fine piece right there. I ran across an original Weatherby that Roy put together on an enfield action. It was almost as nice as that one. I wish I would have bought it!!!!!

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

396 members (1minute, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 53 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,411
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.