Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
all right all you .270 shooters out there. i'v got my plastic adl shooting like a top with RP and winchester 130-grain wal-mart specials.
<br>
<br>but i am not sold on smallish high-stepping bullets at real close ranges (say inside 100 feet). a few years ago, had a couple of 6.5x55s loaded with hornady 129s just not penetrate on two deer at less than 50 feet. both got away. hardly dripped any blood at all.
<br>
<br>i've been shy ever since. heard the same thing happening with .270s at bow ranges. those 6.5 129 hornadys and 140-gr RPs killed like crazy at longer ranges, just like the .270 130-grainers.
<br>
<br>y'all's .270s shoot partitions or grand slams real well? by real well, i mean 1.5 inches or better off a solid rest? i'd rather buy 50 bullets for 15 bucks and reload 'em than 20 loaded cartridges for 20 bucks just to try 'em. i won't load 'em up hot. 2,800 fps or so with 130s or 150s is sufficient for as far in and as far out as i'll select a shot.
<br>
<br>wanna make up my mind today. got a good store only three blocks from my office just waiting to take more of my money.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fish,
<br>
<br>the Partitions are known for great performance. I haven't used Grand Slams but I load Partitions for my daughter's Model 7 243. They shoot sub MOA & have performed flawlessly on Whitetails. Also look at the Hornady SST. I have taken many deer & hogs with them without a single loss. Sadly, I've been pulled over to the dark side, however, with Barnes X's (100 grn) for my 270.[Linked Image] I'll report later when I get something.
<br>badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I load the 130gr Partitions in my 270 and like them very much. I have found them to be accurate in everything I've tried them in.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The Partition shoots really well in all my .270's, including a .270 Wby. The Grand Slams don't usually shoot as well, and don't usaally kill as quickly, as they seem to expand more slowly. I prefer the Partition for deer.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I've used both in my .270 and the partition's DONOT hold well on close range shots. Go with the GS, might not be as accurate but will put them down from 50 Ft. to 300 yards everytime.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mentioning the .270 and Partitions is nigh unto heaven to me[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>I shot a little button head last year at 40-50 yds MV of 3000fps 130gr Partition went in hit one lung and came out..I could stick two fingers in the exit wound..I have also shot through both shoulders at 50yds or less no problems..They are the do it all bullet of choice for me!
<br>
<br>Mike
<br>I also load Partitions in .243 and .357Mag!
<br>
<br>

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have to agree on the Partitions. Have loaded it and the GS. Partitions win for accuracy in several 270 rifles I have owned and/ or loaded for; along with better game performance. Would suggest loading with H4831SC.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
At close range, the Grand Slams have a better rep for holding together, while still expanding well at greater distances. The lead core is bonded to the jacket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Count me in on the Partitions, but don't count out the Hornady Interlocks either. I've had terrific results with the Hornadies at all ranges and accuracy has been excellent- same can be said for the Noslers. Lucky for me, they both print to the same POI, so I can pretty much interchange them.
<br>Price is a lot better on the Hornady's too, so you can afford to practice more. I also use H4831SC to load them with. - Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The problem is the cartridge not the bullets (grin). I don't like either bullet, but that is just my experience. It is probably because I have tracked more animals hit with .270's than all other calibers combined (my buddies all shoot .270's, not me, but I help them hand load to their particular rifles). Partitions being the worst, with small wound channels and NO blood trails (teeny exit holes). Recovered partitions look like wad cutters. Go up a step and shoot 150's in the .270. They seem to work much better in the .270 than 130's. If you aren't killing deer with ANY .270 bullet, I think you need a .30-06 (big wide grin). Oh, and 130 grain XLC bullets would be my choice in .270. For what it is worth. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
hey flinch:
<br>
<br>i think your advice on bullet weight is sound. i also think the barnes copper bullet is a good alternative, too.
<br>
<br>but i also think your buds might need to spend more time on the range. heh, heh, heh.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image] maybe the other reason you spend more time tracking .270 wounded deer is that more hunters use .270. could be the same thing all over again if they used something else. [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>i ain't no .270 fan. it's just that i ended up with the rifle because my 16-year-old would rather have the money for dating and driving endeavors. besides, i got the rascal shooting real well.
<br>
<br>maybe i'll try the barnes instead. hmmmm.
<br>
<br>lots o' good advice here fellas. many thanks.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
To muddy the water just a little....any thoughts of factory ammo? I have had great luck - accuracy and performance wise- with Federal HE shooting the 140 Trophy Bonded bullets and the Winchester loads with the Fail Safe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fish, no doubt my buddies need some range time, but all the elk I have tracked have been hit leathally and shouldn't have needed any tracking. The guy I hunted with this year killed his 351 bull at 38 yards. He shot it in the neck for some stupid reason. The bullet was a factory 130 grain core lokt bullet. It didn't blood shot ANY meat, nor did it break the neck. Even after skinning the neck, I honestly had to really look for the bullet hole. It looked like a cut rather than a bullet hole. I think the shock to the CNS knocked the bull down. We finished it off with a lung shot. Convinced me again that I don't EVER want a .270. The other three elk we took were also under 40 yard shots with 150 partitions. Penetration was about 6 inches through heavy bone, with very little trauma. One was hit squarely in the pelvic (bullet bounced around and was recovered, but no broken bone). The other was hit high in the front shoulder and nicked the spine. It should have gone down, but again, very little tissue damage and the bullet did not break the shoulder or back bone. Both required a lot of second effort. I was really surprised at the lack of bone and tissue damage. I have hunted with the 7mm mag and .30-06 all my life with standard bullets. Even with 150 grain bullets, elk get CRUNCHED from both calibers and ALWAYS drop where they stand (9 elk so far). Of course, bullet placement is everything. A guy came into the store this year complaining that he had shot at and hit 14 bull elk with his .270 and they had all run off. He traded it for a .340 Weatherby. I am sure there are a PILE of dead elk out there now from this #@%@$!$! True, there are a LOT of .270 elk hunters out there that are very successful, but many that shoot the caliber leave themselves very little room for error. I consider it marginal for elk for the average joe, but very effective in the hands of a cool shot. It is a great round, just not for me. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
H
H
Flint,
<br>
<br> What weight and type bullet did you use in the 7mm Rem Mag that was so effective?
<br>
<br>HogWild

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
ouch, flinch!
<br>
<br>you were talking about elk!
<br>
<br>i was talking about whitetails. man, i don't know nothin' 'bout no stinkin' elk. they do stink, don't they? the bulls, i mean?
<br>
<br>shoot-a-monkey, if i ever get to go on an elk hunt, it won't be with my .270.
<br>
<br>7 rem mag (i've got one)? maybe with 175s.
<br>
<br>7.62x54R (i've got two)? not unless nosler comes out with .311 patition in 180-200grains.
<br>
<br>an '06, or .338-06, or 8mm-06 or .35 whelen? considering everything i've read on this board, yep. that is probably where my 7mm rem mag salvage is headed after this deer season.
<br>
<br>thanks, flinch, i think ... ouch. ouch. ouch.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Flinch, the reason a lot of people find, nowadays, that the .270 is not a good deer killer is because of the modern trend towards premium bullets. Deer don't usually require premium bullets with a .270, and will in fact fall faster using regular old spitzer soft points. The 130 grain standard soft pointed spitzer type bullet kills deer like a lightning bolt out of a .270 Winchester at all reasonable ranges. The reason that the Partitions don't do too well is because at close range, the forward portion just sheers off, leaving only an unexpanded "solid" to drive all the way through without much damage. At longer distances it may not have enough velocity to even disrupt the forward portion. There is a range at which it will mushroom perfectly, and drive right through, but why not use a standard design that will kill deer fast at any reasonable range? At close range, a standard soft point kills them by an exploding bullet making soup out of their lungs, and at longer ranges, they tend to mushroom nicely, making a big shocking hole on the far side.
<br>
<br>If I were to hunt elk with a .270 (actually did once), I'd use the 150 grain Grand Slams. For elk, you need a semi-premium bullet with a .270, in my opinion, and it helps more than hurts, unlike the deer situation.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
NPs will always be my choice.
<br>
<br>BTW FWIW
<br>
<br>A life long friend of mine took a nice branch antlered bull
<br>this year in AZ. After hunting for 6 days he spotted a
<br>bull on yonder hill side. Measured the distance at 453
<br>yards looked at his cheat sheet. Then took one shot.
<br>The bull took half a dozen steps and dropped.
<br>My buddy was using a 270 using 130 g Remington
<br>Factory rounds. The bullet completly penetrated.
<br>My buddy has been using this same m700 for over
<br>20 years, wonder if that has anything to do with it?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Try the Hornady SST. I'm shooting 130 grain factory loads in my 270. Shot two deer last year under 30 yards and they performed great. One weighed about 180lbs. Shot through both shoulders, huge exit wound.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That makes perfect sense to use standard bullets for deer. I tell guys this all the time, but they keep complaining about premiums and pencil holes. 100 lb. deer don't need premiums, unless they are driven to extreme velocities. You knew exactly what I was talking about. I have used 140 grain ballistic tips on elk at 3,200-3,350 fps (depending on rifle). I only had one scary experience where the bullet only went into the front point of the shoulder at 200 yards on a 4x4 bull. The bullet mushroomed perfectly ( I have it in my box) and the bull dropped dead and never moved. The bullet didn't touch any bone or vitals. The bullet was stuck in the shoulder meat. There was a 3 inch circle of blood shot meat around the bullet. That was one of my "shock" kills. There is NO other reason that bull died, and died instantly. He never even twitched a hair. Weird as heck!!!! All others completely blew through both shoulders, or lungs with HUGE exit holes and wound channeld. I have always shot 165 grain ballistic tips in the .30-06. All have been found under the hide on the off side perfectly mushroomed, even after going through shoulders. Muzzle velocity is 2,800 fps. I have hit them at 50 yards and several hundred yards. One moose bit the bullet at 20 yards with a lung shot. Bullet was found under the skin in the off side shoulder perfectly mushroomed. I hit one spike bull straight on with the same load at 85 yards. The bullet went through the heart and lungs shredding them and was found laying agains the diaphram with a BEAUTIFUL mushroom. It weighed 114 grains. I don't think 20+ deer, a moose and 9 elk have been lucky. I full on trust the bullet, although I don't try and bust through shoulders at short range. I have only had the one bullet act weird. All others have been stellar! Flinch

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about an 270 X bullet for elk ?
<br>

Last edited by ConradCA; 11/06/02.

[Linked Image from ]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,420 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,879
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.