Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Hmmmm...... wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just get a 270 Weatherby and call it a day.

Dan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"Initially, Weatherby will make three different rifles in the 6.5-300, all based on the Mark V action: the Accumark, the Accumark RC, and Ultra Lightweight. (The RC stands for Range Certified, meaning those rifles have been shot at the factory and come with a certified sub-MOA target.)"

Interesting how Weatherby has to offer their "Accumark" as range-certified MOA.

As Ruger, Tikka, etc have proven, its not that hard to make a factory rifle shoot MOA. If you include "Accu" in the name, they should ALL shoot MOA in my opinion, especially when they retail for over 2K.

I won't be forking over money for a Weatherby anytime soon, especially if have to pay more to get MOA groups out of it. What a joke.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting. They picked some excellent bullets for it in the 127 gr LRX and 130 gr Scirocco, kinda interesting to note they didn't include any Nosler bullets in their line up so far lol. I had some interest in the 26 Nosler but the super expensive brass turned me off so passed, at least with this round you could form cases in a pinch from something more common.

A 264 Weatherby based on the shorter 257/270 Wby case would have really been cool but it would have been redundant with the 264 WM and 26 Nosler already in existence. A 6.5-300 Wby does fit into Weatherby's bigger and faster concept they seem to like so much.

Gerry.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
This caliber was popular with the long range shooters in the 1960's... Nothing new...

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This caliber was popular with the long range shooters in the 1960's... Nothing new...

Exactly! Been on Pac-Nor's chamber reamer list for at least 10 years that I know of.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
P.S.

Who the heck shoots factory loads anyway?

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It is called 26 Nosler

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
6.5 Hoyer

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There has been much talk about it for some time on the Weatherby nation forum. I for one was hoping they would do it on the shorter case used on the .257, 270 & 7mm Weatherby's. But then it wouldn't have been faster then the competition.

Too me extreme over bore cartridges like this are of little practical use. But then what in the gun buying public eyes ever is.

Diplomacy is the art of saying "Nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
Will Rogers
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
I may buy one when it's offered in a Fibermark. But,that is a year or so down the road,before I can afford to buy one.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 09/29/15.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A lot of these cartridges have been around for a while. If you read Elgin Gates' book, Trophy Hunting In Africa, he shot an elephant in 1959 (brain shot)with a 30-378, years before it was introduced...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That used to be popular with the Pennsylvania boys who liked to shoot deer across valleys. They'd set up on one side with big, surplus Navy binoculars and artillery rangefinders and poke 'em at 1000 yards or so from a bench. I never quite understood the attraction just like I don't get the modern electronic equivalent today, but as long as they make clean kills and follow up their shots, it's good clean fun.

Back about '73, there was an article in Handloader or Rifle criticizing the round for LR targets, then soon after a follow-up article by Carmichael where he inteviewed the creator of the round for rebuttal. Turns out the sweet spot, accuracy-wise and to prevent excessive fouling, was well below max, just above .264 mag levels actually. The .26 Nosler would seem to be the hot setup today, but I guess Weatherby wants their cut of the action too.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Looks like they totally re-vamped the Mark V too and are now guaranteeing sub moa from a standard Mark V. Pretty cool.

Posted over on Weatherby Nation from Adam Weatherby..

"Hello Nation: Some of you may have noticed that I changed my profile pic a few weeks ago on Nation. The photo of me and the Dall’s Sheep was taken in August in Canada’s Northwest Territories. The purpose of the trip was to do some “product testing” much like my grandfather did years ago in Africa. I am happy to inform you that the ram in the photo was the first animal taken with a production 6.5-.300 Weatherby Magnum. Yes, you heard me correctly. The wait is over and on October 1st we are officially introducing the fastest 6.5mm cartridge in the world! We heard the “Nation” (and the 38 pages of threads from the .264 Weatherby Magnum post) and have answered.

Not only are we introducing a new cartridge, but we are also releasing “The New Mark V.” Guaranteed to shoot Sub MOA, the New Mark V features a brand new trigger, a hand lapped barrel and an ergonomically enhanced stock. This release is perhaps our largest upgrade to the Mark V since it’s introduction in 1958. I know I am biased, but I absolutely love the New Mark V. I had a lot of time to admire it as I hiked around looking for sheep last month, and I am here to tell you that my father and I are extremely proud of the new Mark V features and believe that all of you on Nation will be as well.

Now that I have your curiosity peaked I am sure there are many questions you have (bullet type, velocities etc…). You also may be wondering about the Vanguard, of which we have many new models being introduced. I encourage you to go to www.weatherby.com on October 1st for all the details. What I can tell you is that the velocities we are seeing out of the 6.5-.300 Wby Mag are over 100fps faster then our nearest competitor. We mean it when we say “Nothing shoots flatter, hits harder or is more accurate.” Our family business was found on that principle and we intend to defend that claim as long as we exist.

Your fellow Weatherby Nation member,

Adam Weatherby

PS - The 6.5-.300 Wby Mag will initially be available in the Accumark and Ultra Lightweight first. We will be in production this fall and will start shipping both rifles and ammo by January 1st, 2015. Get your order placed with your local dealer soon!"

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Back about '73, there was an article in Handloader or Rifle criticizing the round for LR targets, then soon after a follow-up article by Carmichael where he inteviewed the creator of the round for rebuttal. Turns out the sweet spot, accuracy-wise and to prevent excessive fouling, was well below max, just above .264 mag levels actually. The .26 Nosler would seem to be the hot setup today, but I guess Weatherby wants their cut of the action too.

Today there are much better/cleaner slow burning powders available.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No doubt, as well as stuff like UBC. The articles just reflected the state of the technology at the time.

One thing that hasn't changed is the cumulative effect of recoil on the shooter. Lighter recoil was one of the benefits of going to a 6.5 over a .30, just as it is now. Hard to shoot your best with your eyes crossed.

P.S. For anyone who wants to read those old articles, they're found in Rifle issues 18 and 21. 21 is from May-June '72.

About 1990 or so, I found a box of old magazines in a second-hand store in Leesbug, Va. I scarfed up all the old Rifle and Handloader issues including Rifle nos. 1,2, and 3 for .50 apiece. I dig them out every few years and reread the good stuff. That Number 21 has articles by Jim Carmichael, Ken Waters, Les Bowman, and the much-missed Al Miller.
Good stuff.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/30/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wbyfan1,

Earlier this year I made a wildcat that is 6% larger than the .26 Nosler. Since I really like Weatherby I would have gone for this one instead. Life just isn't fair.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Does it come with a spare barrel?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 40 invisible), 2,460 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,035
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.