Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1050550 10/20/06
P
PBB Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Greetings,
I have read several articles and posts recently about the XLR. There are some statements that indicate the rifle has some number of improvements designed to optimize operation with Hornady's new Leverevolution bullets. If we restrict the discussion to the 45-70, can someone tell me what changes have been made to the XLR besides the apperance (which I really like) and a barrel that is 2 inches longer than the 1895 series? Besides these changes it seems that the 45-70 1895 features and the XLR's features seem to be the same. Am I missing something?
I am considering purchasing an XLR and will probably do so regarless of the responses to this post. Really the main thing I need to resolve is 45-70 or 444 Marlin?
Thanks,
PBB

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The magazine follower has been redesigned to properly feed the new gummy-tipped bullets. That's about it. 45-70

Last edited by jackfish; 10/21/06.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
45-70

NRA Life Member
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
45-70

The 444 is like a 16 ga, sort of in between the 30-30 and the 45-70. The 45-70 can be loaded down to 444 ballistics or up to its potential for more horsepower when needed.

(Psa 18:34) He trains my hands for battle, So that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.

ought6

IC B2

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
FWIW:

The Barrel is a full 24 inches.

If you want to sling big hunks of lead on a flat line, the 444 LeverEvolution is prolly the best bet.

Hornady lists 2325 fps, but pubished reports are 2400 fps with a pointed bullet with a maximum point blank range (within 3" of the line of sight) of over 200 yards.

Otherwise, the 45-70 wins.

From my reading, the biggest gain is in the LeverEvolution 30-30, which really has been improved (160 grain SST at 2400 fps).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I need a XLR in 444! Hopping the price comes down after the newness wares off.

TK

[Linked Image]

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Correct me if I'm wrong. Will the 1895 cycle the new rubber tipped rounds? The Xlr was developed to accomadate the new loading.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do yourself a favor and buy a real levergun and leave the XLR's to those who don't know what one is---2MG

pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
2much, could you elaborate, thanks.pak

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
XLR's don't look like a levergun should look, don't feel like a levergun should feel, and are designed to shoot bullets made to do something a levergun was not designed for. I don't want to shoot long range, with a shiney, in the white levergun that weighs too much with a laminated stock and sports an unwieldy 24" barrel. Lever evolution ammo may extend the range of a levergun, but it certainly won't drop a critter in it's tracks faster than a traditional flat-nosed bullet. If I plan on shooting at ranges that are too far for a traditional levergun, then I'll use something else that was made for it and will do the job better. Never had a problem using a traditional, fast handling levergun at the ranges it was designed for with the bullets that drop stuff right now---2MG

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I love my 1895XLR....bought both the 1895GS and the XLR at the same time....the XLR just feels better to me....can use the new lever-revolution bullets with no mods....just sold the 1895GS...the GS was nice but the XLR look, feels and shoots farther than the 1895GS....we all have opinions, this is just mine....

Illegitimi non carborundum

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Far as I can see the XLR has a lot to like. I like the pistol grip as I like the hotter rounds. I like stainless and it hasn't been available with the pistol grip. I can take or leave the laminate stock but for bad weather looks like it will handle it. I can get the barrel cut down to what ever length feels handy to me. I've got plenty of traditional leverguns if that's what I want to carry.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
The magazine follower has been redesigned to properly feed the new gummy-tipped bullets. That's about it. 45-70

Marlin tech says, follower,2" of tube,and stainless. The end. Now doesnt that just make you wanta hurl out a couple hundred extra bucks. OH I forgot,the pointy tips take away from the brush cutting ability of the flat noses levers were originally intended for and the deer can spot you way off

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
1895 is a misnomer-really all Marlin centerfire leverguns are 336s, same basic action since the redsesign many decades ago. XLR is your stainless/laminate/+2"bbl length version-along with a different follower.
In other words, differences are mostly in the details-action, sights are the same.
Marlins stainless guns have done well enuff that theyre all still cataloged. It was natural for em to move into the XLRs with stainless. I've never heard anyone comment negatively on their stainless Marlin, so the company must be doin a good job. A friend recently bought hisself a stainless guide gun, an he is quite happy with it.
Apparantly, the main benefit of the XLR is the new follower. Hard to imagine another 2" of bbl. makin much diff maybe adding a lil velocity, but maybe not worth the handling penalty.
If you like it, get one. Marlin makes good guns.
In terms of 45-70 vs. .444, if we are talkin SAAMI specs, the .444 will offer flatter trajectory. The limits to the .444 are found in the bullets-same pills as used in .44 mag., thus care must be used in choosing components, or loaded ammo.
The .45-70 is potent even at its low threshold of 28,000psi. It is the standard by which all other large caliber levergun rounds are judged for good reason, it does just about everthing real real well.
In my mind both cartridges are exellent choices; However I beleive the 45-70 offers more flexibility, more frontal area, more momentum, an thus is the better choice.
Good luck n good shootin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have the 1895GS which is a phenomenal gun, have shot the LE ammo at 1850 fps and grouped at 0.9 inches at 100 yards with a 2x scope. I sport a little wood for the XLR with the extra 6 inches of barrel and the laminate is good looking too. Do I want one? For Christmas maybe but I am not going to trade the Guide gun. Too many other wants to be redundant right now. Why not reinvent the lever gun? It deserves to move into the next step, same as the 98 Mauser already has...

NRA Life Member
M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The solid flat top receiver is what really makes the Marlin a candidate for this newfangled ammo-its simple to mount optics. Another thing is that Marlins balance is not wrecked by mounting sensible optics.
Winchester 94s-esp the angle eject, can be scoped, but they are light and trim-scopes wreak havoc with that scattergun like handling.
In the redifnition of the levergun, Marlin is startin something that can be really big, unless levergunners ignore it. Its quite a plunge, really. Most levergunners tend to be staunch traditionalists, an sticks in the mud, but if folks go for this, expect alot more in the future.
The guide guns work mostly cuz theyre so handy. I'm not much of a fan of that snub nosed bbl-tho often enuff, shortie bbls tend to be stiffer an deliver more on the accuracy front than one would expect.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I like the XLR but there is something about the 26" octagon cowboy gun that gets my juices flowing even more?
Opinions are what make horse races.
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
XLR's don't look like a levergun should look, don't feel like a levergun should feel, and are designed to shoot bullets made to do something a levergun was not designed for. I don't want to shoot long range, with a shiney, in the white levergun that weighs too much with a laminated stock and sports an unwieldy 24" barrel. Lever evolution ammo may extend the range of a levergun, but it certainly won't drop a critter in it's tracks faster than a traditional flat-nosed bullet. If I plan on shooting at ranges that are too far for a traditional levergun, then I'll use something else that was made for it and will do the job better. Never had a problem using a traditional, fast handling levergun at the ranges it was designed for with the bullets that drop stuff right now---2MG

+1
As an addition to my collection maybe but not as a replacement for what my lever actions do.
As for re-inventing the lever action let's see; Savage 99 / Winchester 88 / Ruger 96/44....I think that has been underway for sometime now.

MCS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My sentiments exactly.....

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I like the XLR but there is something about the 26" octagon cowboy gun that gets my juices flowing even more?
Opinions are what make horse races.
whelennut

+ 1

Snow.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Biggest advantage of the 1895 over the XLR is that it doesn't have that ugly, useless and offensive "safety" button cluttering up the lines of the reciever.

Oh yeah.......you have to find a used, older model to get that advantage. Too bad, but I like my rifles in blued steel, walnut and built the way they were designed......not "improved" into something they were never intended to be.

Does that make me one of those traditionalist, stick-in-the-mud type guys? I'll probably stay awake all night worrying about that one.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I like it. That's why they make different variations for different tastes. For instance, the Guide Gun doesn't appeal to me but I'm glad Marlin came out with it for those who like it. If I didn' have a few Marlins I'd probably buy an xlr.

Never did see an answer as to whether the new ammo feeds ok in a regular 336/1895. Anybody using it?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The issue is not feeding but feeding the last cartridge out of the tube mag. Marlin and Hornady suggest a new follower if it does not work in your gun.

You should see all of the gadgets in my Pickup truck now. I wish I could be driving a 1955 Ford instead. I really think reinventing the Pickup was a waste of time...

NRA Life Member
My next rifle is the Classic Model 1895 in 45/70.

[Linked Image]

...and I will be shooting the Buffalo Bore 350 gr. bullet

Exterior Ballistics
100yds (0) 150yds (-3) 200yds (-10) 250yds (-20)

I don't care what the cowboys used. There is not anything that can stand in the way of this combination. I will be retiring my BLR 81 .300 WSM. MV out!

Last edited by MontanaVet; 12/17/06.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They're all good guns, just dressed differently.

45-70.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't care for the long barrels at all. My next new rifle will be the .45-70 Guide Gun.

"If what I say offends you, you should hear what I don't say."
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
what do you guys think the velocity loss will be when using a 18.5 inch versus a 24 inch xlr? question really is do you think it will matter enough at say 150 yds? just curious

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It's just me but this rifle looks like the barrel should be cut back to the rear most part of the front site ramp. It's too long for my tastes.

Again, not meaning to argue or criticize someone else's choice but it seems to me this leverevolution "thing" is again trying to make one thing into something else that it's not.

But live and let live grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps 25 fps loss per inch. Second answer: no. grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mont Vet-

Just tried some Buff Bore 405-grs at 2000 fps (1900+ from my GG). I am looking forward to carrying it in the elk timber.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The Hornady website says 2050 FPS with those 325 LR jobbies. For my money you can have 'em. My 1885 squirts 418 gr cast bullets out at 1950 and I don't imagine there'll be a big difference in velocity between the 28" barrel on the '85 and the 26" barrel on my '95 CB. Why mess with something that works? I've got boltguns to shoot things at 300 yards. My levers and single shots will keep doing what they're for...close range hunting.

Who would want a do-it-all rifle? What a distressing world that would be!

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
W
W
I have a 1895G and have no problems with the new pointed ammo it cycles good thru my action

S
S
i looked at the xlr and saw the cowboy ,held it and paid for it at the counter,you really have to hold each gun and see the differences,thinking the cowboy would be big and clunky then tada she is like a fine shotgun in pointing and that octangular barrel one me over,frinds went out and bought them after holding it,might get an xlr but for now i love the cowboy

POP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a '95 GG and it will cycle the pointy bullets fine and what's more they shot under an inch. Perhaps they may have some utility in deer hunting but for anything larger I think I want a big, heavy FN bullet.

Gdv

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (219 Wasp, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 53 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,993
Posts18,520,267
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.