Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Two cents from one of the most unsophisticated investors around.

Everybody and their brother, after they have given their pet formulas for getting rich by constantly moving money around and being lucky, states the following:

- Diversify
- Invest over time and get rich slowly
- Always pay yourself first - i.e., put money aside before buying anything else.

Easy peasy so that what I've been doing for several years now. I put a healthy percentage of each paycheck into our company's 403b fund which they match up to a point, that's done automatically.

I also put a few hundred dollars each month into Vanguard Index funds - their total stock market, international stock market and total bond market funds. That's a line item "expense" on my monthly budget spreadsheet just the same as paying the mortgage and utility bills. That takes advantage of dollar cost averaging. I buy $xxx worth of each fund around the 1st or 2nd of the month, I generally don't even look at the current price.

Took a big hit in 2008 like everyone else but recovered. Took a lesser hit just recently but with the diversification my total investments' net worth didn't dip too much at all. In fact when the market fell so badly that Monday IIRC I put a whole month's extra allotment into the stock fund that night to take advantage of the good prices.

I started really late in life so won't be retiring in my 50's but am on track for a decent amount when I do retire.

I read a book a few years ago called "The Best Investment Advice You Will Ever Get" or something like that. In the preface the author says you can read all twenty something chapters or skip to the very last chapter. The first chapters were all about the ins and out of investing, lots of technical details and historical data. Then in the last chapter he says, "buy broad based indexed funds. Vanguard and Fidelity both have good ones. If you do that and invest long term you will make just as much money as if you followed all of the detailed steps related in the first chapters of this book".

I'm sure there are more sophisticated ways of handling money if one wants to devote the time and energy to following the markets and prognostications. I happen to like the KIS principle in all things and the above seems to be working okay.

Book probably authored by Larry Swedroe. Really sound advice. As you move along there are companies that deal in higher amounts and have a higher percentage invested in the market at all times, thus yielding a bit more. Same principle.

https://postimg.cc/xXjW1cqx/81efa4c5

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Soli Deo Gloria

democrats ARE the plague.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When I was 16 our family visited one of my father’s patients in Ohio. He was a multi-millionaire and had a private airstrip in his front yard.

My father was a big stock charter, marking his little X’s and O’s and trying to predict when to buy and sell. Never did that well as I recall, at least he certainly didn’t beat the market as a whole.

This millionaire gave him some advice which I still remember. He said, “Al, the way to make money in the stock market is to pick some good companies. Pick ones you think have staying power. Buy stock in those companies. Then don’t touch it, don’t even think about it. Twenty years later you will have made some pretty good money in the stock market.”

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Yup, just your own private mini-index fund. I had a couple of great uncles that did the same.

My biggest mistake was thinking that they were fuddy-duddy and old fashioned and that now a days, we have better more high tech and totally genius ways of picking stocks and timing the market. Still fool's errands.

I will say that modern portfolio theory is, IMO, a sound way to distribute funds in asset classes. That, and your stomach for risk.

Just a little story that my dad put me onto. When a broker calls and has a hot deal, it means that his firm is getting a big bonus for pushing some cash strapped company. Hot undervalued items do not exist. The market adjusts value in a matter of seconds.

Soli Deo Gloria

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Sometime, look at how much money brokers have as a group. Very little. If they knew what they say they do, would that be the case? If the knew what they say they know, why would they even be wasting their filthy rich time selling stock on a mom and pop level?

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The "secret" to the stock market is there is no secret. The key to making money is being knowledgeable, you need to know how companies are doing, how the future looks for their market and products, etc. If you have the time to do the research and make sound choices, then you'll do well. If you mindlessly follow the advice of experts, expect to loose your shirt.

If you don't have the time, then picking a good investment adviser will be worth it to you. And you'll need to do research into the investment advisers as not all of them are worth a damn.

Just like any other professionals, sometimes you can do a better job than they can, sometimes not. Know your strengths and weaknesses and make your choices accordingly.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotload
Been having a very good year economically and want to invest most of
the money. One broker is telling me to put the money in a no-load
mutual fund. Another broker is talking up Exchange Traded Funds.
I do not understand ETFs at all. confused

Looking for help with investment choices.
Some rules that always seem to work.

During a bull market, invest in large cap
During a declining (bear) market, go small cap & healthcare

Never forget, 89% of all fund managers fail to beat the market (S&P 500). So while they're unpopular because they're always measured against market leaders (and if you know how to always pick the market leading MF, let me know), they are guaranteed to beat 89% of all Mutual Funds, so it makes sense to always keep a significant % of you money into a good index fund.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
The "secret" to the stock market is there is no secret. The key to making money is being knowledgeable, you need to know how companies are doing, how the future looks for their market and products, etc. If you have the time to do the research and make sound choices, then you'll do well. If you mindlessly follow the advice of experts, expect to loose your shirt.

If you don't have the time, then picking a good investment adviser will be worth it to you. And you'll need to do research into the investment advisers as not all of them are worth a damn.

Just like any other professionals, sometimes you can do a better job than they can, sometimes not. Know your strengths and weaknesses and make your choices accordingly.
The "Secret" is not picking the right stocks, but learning money and risk management. NO ONE always wins in picking stocks, the experts learn how to minimize their losses and maximize their profits. You do that by dumping a loser immediately...something very difficult to do with Mutual Funds; that's why professional investors never invest in mutual funds.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Never forget, 89% of all fund managers fail to beat the market (S&P 500). So while they're unpopular because they're always measured against market leaders (and if you know how to always pick the market leading MF, let me know), they are guaranteed to beat 89% of all Mutual Funds, so it makes sense to always keep a significant % of you money into a good index fund.

GG,

Your above post is not exactly correct.

Markets go in cycles. During the early portion of a bull market, value stocks typically out pace growth stocks. In addition small to medium stocks tend to out pace large caps early in the bull market cycle. Late in the cycle, there will typically be a sector rotation toward the larger, high PE growth oriented names.

As for buying small caps during a bear market, that's a poor strategy. Small caps usually head lower first. In addition during a bear market the smaller stocks will have fewer resources to weather the storm and are more likely to end up in bankruptcy. Once the market has bottomed, the small the medium value stocks will typically lead the way out, but you don't want to be in them on the way down. During a bear market yield is your friend, as it will help put a floor under a stock. However you must watch the cash flows to insure the dividends are safe, and be care in a rising rate environment.

As for professional money managers always selling their looser immediately, that just not true. This is a general rule for the short term trade, those trading for days or weeks, but not for the long term money manager. When managing large sums it can be difficult to quickly move in or out of a position because the size of your trades will move the market. In other words, if a large funds wants to take a 3% position is a given security, chances are their purchase will move the stock higher in the process providing them a higher entry price then they would of likes.

As for 89% of all funds failing to beat the S&P, that's from a very old vanguard study done during a late bull market when retail investors where heavily investing in index funds. Other studies done during late bear and early bull markets have yielded vastly different results with the active managers out performing the indexes.

The picture's actually a lot more complex then you painted.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

GG,

Markets go in cycles. During the early portion of a bull market, value stocks typically out pace growth stocks. In addition small to medium stocks tend to out pace large caps early in the bull market cycle. Late in the cycle, there will typically be a sector rotation toward the larger, high PE growth oriented names.

As for buying small caps during a bear market, that's a poor strategy. Small caps usually head lower first. In addition during a bear market the smaller stocks will have fewer resources to weather the storm and are more likely to end up in bankruptcy. Once the market has bottomed, the small the medium value stocks will typically lead the way out, but you don't want to be in them on the way down. During a bear market yield is your friend, as it will help put a floor under a stock. However you must watch the cash flows to insure the dividends are safe, and be care in a rising rate environment.

As for professional money managers always selling their looser immediately, that just not true. This is a general rule for the short term trade, those trading for days or weeks, but not for the long term money manager. When managing large sums it can be difficult to quickly move in or out of a position because the size of your trades will move the market. In other words, if a large funds wants to take a 3% position is a given security, chances are their purchase will move the stock higher in the process providing them a higher entry price then they would of likes.

As for 89% of all funds failing to beat the S&P, that's from a very old vanguard study done during a late bull market when retail investors where heavily investing in index funds. Other studies done during late bear and early bull markets have yielded vastly different results with the active managers out performing the indexes.

I can see your point on not buying small cap on the way down; kinda hard to make a rational point of buying anything that's heading down. But I agree that small cap is the first to lead the market upward, and that really was my point. I'm an option trader, not a buy and hold kind of guy, so I don't buy or hold anything that is trending down. (hard to explain that strategy on an internet forum)

As for the 89%, my bad the number was 86% and it was a 2014 study.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...utual-funds-ever-beat-the-market-hardly/

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

GG,

I can see your point on not buying small cap on the way down; kinda hard to make a rational point of buying anything that's heading down. But I agree that small cap is the first to lead the market upward, and that really was my point. I'm an option trader, not a buy and hold kind of guy, so I don't buy or hold anything that is trending down. (hard to explain that strategy on an internet forum)

As for the 89%, my bad the number was 86% and it was a 2014 study.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...utual-funds-ever-beat-the-market-hardly/

As an option trader you probably understand my point that one style of fund is not the best for all markets.

Managed early, index late in the cycle.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Knowing all that to be certain, you guys must be absolutely rolling in dough.

;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Put your money in Vanguard Wellington or Wellesley and forget about it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

;-{>8

20 years in the industry.

I was short the market in 2008/2009. It was a good year for me.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's nice,but I am more interested in good decades, many. ;-{>8

Soli Deo Gloria

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by robertacabin
Put your money in Vanguard Wellington or Wellesley and forget about it.

Great funds.
Wellington is closed to new investors, or at least it was 10 years ago. Wellington II had a pretty high minimum, so it typically not available to someone just starting out.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldtrapper

;-{>8
What I know for certain is that I (and anyone else who's honest) will pick a losing stock 7 out of 10 times. What you need once you understand that is risk management to where you only lose pennies for the 7 losses and make dollars for the 3 that go your way. I do okay, but I'm not rolling in it. Options trading is very active and I don't have enough time to do it full time; nor do I have enough money. But the stock market scares the hell out of me, that's why I trade options and only work on very short time frames.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Holding index funds and balancing the portfolio twice a year is also very time and energy consuming. ;-{>8

I study it, work at it relentlessly and worry a lot. Teehee.

Soli Deo Gloria

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Worry? When all is said and done, not much worthy of worry in the $$ scene. Came into life with zero and will leave in the same condition.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Good point, and it seems there are better things to do in the mean time.

Soli Deo Gloria

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
As fro investing, I am lost. A financial manager did a whole analyst on my funds. The plan wants me to put into 15 funds. It is very diverse. Some Europe large cap funds, some funds are only 2% of my portfolio. It makes some sense but there has to be an easier way. One nice thing is , @ 7% she says I can retire at 60 with very little yearly investments. I dont agree. She is depending on Social Security. I'm not expecting more than 50% o fit. Just one question, what is a decent asset allocation? Why is there not a fund that has 10 funds representing 10 sectors , put all the 10 funds in one fund and be done with it? I know there are Asset Allocation funds but they seem to underperform the simple S&P index fund.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (007FJ, 1minute, 06hunter59, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,434 guests, and 1,246 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,549
Posts18,472,957
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.