Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thinking of buying a new car, an SUV. Wife wants a Grand Cherokee.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Inline 6. Only decent engine offered. Poor gas mileage, top heavy and prone to tip. Electrical demons galore. Not nearly as roomy or as comfortable as others of equal size.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I ain't like one?

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Every friend that ever owned one hated it after a short time. I rented an SUV when we went to Louisiana in July and it turned out to be a Jeep Patriot. What a POS.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 4ager
Electrical demons galore.

Amen!

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 4ager
Inline 6. Only decent engine offered. Poor gas mileage, top heavy and prone to tip. Electrical demons galore. Not nearly as roomy or as comfortable as others of equal size.
No inline 6 since 2004. I get 17-18 mpg on local commutes and 20-21 on the highway. That's a solid 4-5 mpg improvement over my old Explorer and Blazer and it's more comfortable, handles better and is more stable on the road than either by a long shot. Mine has 78,000 miles on it so far and no problems beyond normal maintenance. WAAAY better than that piece-o-shyt Blazer ever was.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Thinking of buying a new car, an SUV. Wife wants a Grand Cherokee.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Steve.

Been quite a few years ago, I had one.
Was not a good vehicle in any area.
Would never consider another one.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Put me in the camp that has had older ones and driven and riden in ones owned by friends and family members and would never consider buying one.

Furthermore having owned both, unless the plan is for actual off road use, I'd say a good awd station wagon is a much better family car than an SUV. They drive better, have as much cargo space, get better mileage and are more comfortable for family trips.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My wife had a 2013 with the 5.7 hemi, bought new in Aug 2012, she initially liked but it had quirks that she came to dislike:

It often smoked at startup, since day one.

Several times it wouldn't start, essentially "dead"... A mystery electrical problem/issue. She lost confidence in the vehicle, worried about being stranded.

Developed surface rust (blisters) on the hood in just a bit over 2 years.

Rear window defrost unit stopped working after the second winter season (mid-Maryland winter - so not a rough winter). The electrical contact detached from one side of the defrost grid.

Mileage in the 17mpg on mixed highway.

It was 'zippy', she liked it for that quality

We traded it away at about 35,000 miles (in May this year)

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'v had three. All had the V8 5.7 and all the bells and whistles and never had a problem. Before the Jeeps we drove JAGUAR xj6 and xjs but as the back and knees start to complain the higher Jeep was much easier to get in and out. The ride is very comfortable and mileage 17 to 20 depending how hard you stand on it. I would buy another without a problem.

W. Bill

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Even a Jeep is a step up from Jaguar. 😗

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Ouch

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My wife is shopping for a Grand Cherokee also
If they were not a good auto they would not sell so darn many and the resale value would not be as strong.

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I loved the old Cherokee I had with the 4.0L straight six.

That thing would go anywhere.

It was a simple car to operate - easy to work on

but it did need work - it wasn't a Honda

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Wife bought a new one about 3 years ago. Its ok, but nothing great. I was hoping she'd get a mildly used Tahoe or a new Jeep Unlimited. The Unlimited has MUCH better resale value.

She has also had a few electrical gremlins. Once, the rear hatch would not unlock. Another time, it wouldn't turn over. Both resolved "on their own", but worrisome that these issues would randomly crop up.

Also, I'm 5'11". The seats move back plenty, but the silly center console really limits side to side leg room. If I don't move the seat so far back that my arm is completely stretched out, then my dang knee is bumping the center console.

Get a real Jeep or get a Tahoe/Suburban.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My wife had 3 against my judgment. And all 3 sucked, horrable on fuel, electrical problems, rear differential rebuilds, and worst was a blend motor broken thingy that mixed fresh air with the heat or air for dual climate control. It would blow cold air on one side in the winter and it didn't get warm and hot in the summer and it wouldn't get cool. But they wouldnt recall it and they replaced the faulty part with the same faulty part. Gee crystler thanks I didn't get a big enuff root in the tail when it broke the first time. Piece O $hit I tell you. The 4.0 sport was great though.

Last edited by seal_billy; 10/01/15.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
have been driving JGC's from the first year.
the 93 was the best. I have a 92 Cherokee limited now and a 98 grand Cherokee limited 5.9. both with close to 200k. they are made by people so the do have some problems but no more then most any thing. we have 3-4 feet of snow most winters and have never been stuck. don't even put studs on the 5.9, just siped tires.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
friend of mine just had a rental for a few weeks while his had some work done.
to say he was unhappy with it,would be an understatement.
finally wouldt start one morning,rental agency brought over a ford,likes it much better.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We've owned '93, '94, '95, '97, and 04" Grand Cherokees. The '04 with the 4.7 V8 was the best of the bunch, as the others all developed problems with the AWD limited slip differentials at around 130K miles. The 2015 Dodge Durangos, Ford Explorers, and Jeep Grand Cherokees look so much alike that you'd hardly know that they came from different companies without a close look.

If I was buying new, something that I haven't done in years, I'd take a hard look at the Toyota/Lexus SUV that best fits your needs.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I bought this 2000 earlier this year after my full size truck got written off, and it had around 150,000Km on it, now it is at around 177,000Km and the only repair was the fan relay for the electric fan quit, now in the city I never had an issue, but replaced it anyway, supposed to be a common thing, and now I did notice the prndl indicator does not always light up, but so far it has been better than i expected, so I am happy, it is the 4.0 with the sensa trac I think they call it.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1badf350, 16penny, 1936M71, 56 invisible), 2,116 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,026
Posts18,481,740
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.