Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
It is forty years later now. I no longer run twenty miles in a day, nor do I hike to the top of the mountain with my rifle and wait an hour or more for the guys on horses to catch up. And I certainly no longer crawl through the buck brush on my hands and knees. (like I could have gotten a shot if I had flushed a deer or elk!)

My rifle now lives in the saddle scabbard until game is spotted. So.....today I could carry the Ruger 77 or the Win 70 and never have to worry about the safety getting snagged.

But I have been there and do fully understand how it can happen.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You carry a rifle in a saddle scabbord with a round in the chamber?

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
No, absolutely not. I have never met anyone stupid enough to do that.

It has been ten years since I have had anything in the hills other than my Ruger #1. But there is a model 70 and a 77 waiting in the safe for a turn.

An interesting story in regards to this subject. On my sons first elk hunt at age twelve, he was carrying my brand new Win 70 classic in 264 slung vertically beside the saddle horn on his 4-H/cow pony. He rode the horse under a windfall sapling across the trail and got the butt stock snagged on the tree.

The stock snapped off at the tang. Somehow the safety got brushed to the off position. And when I checked especially to see, the firing pin had fallen on the empty chamber.

The silver lining is, my Son quickly understood the reasons for Dad's fanatical attention to gun handling safety.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Whew, I was gonna say....

Guys who are [bleep] about safety are good to be around.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I am proud to be known as that kind of as...shole!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwall
I S. -

Wow, never came even close to that situation.

What can I say ? I've hunted thickets I had to crawl thru for a ways, wiggled and waggled thru briar thickets you could not just walk thru, stalked thru young pine plantations where you could not see nor shoot 20 yds, etc. still never had any safety pushed/pulled to off position because of brush or thickets.

ONCE I accidentally and unknowingly pushed a R 77 tang safety off by the web of my own hand, in OPEN hardwoods. That was MY fault.

Guess you can't learn everything you need to know sitting in a treestand in Awkinsaw

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by billiam280AI
CV540
I feel the same way. I like the claw controlling the round into the chamber better than a push feed. However I the safety is always smoother on the push feed rifles. Kinda hard to have the best of both worlds....lol

You're a fu cking idiot...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
CV540
I feel the same way. I like the claw controlling the round into the chamber better than a push feed. However I the safety is always smoother on the push feed rifles. Kinda hard to have the best of both worlds....lol

You're a fu cking idiot...

Bak again huh? Did you get run out of the coloring book section? Its OK......we all understand!!!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Originally Posted by jwall
I S. -

Wow, never came even close to that situation.

What can I say ? I've hunted thickets I had to crawl thru for a ways, wiggled and waggled thru briar thickets you could not just walk thru, stalked thru young pine plantations where you could not see nor shoot 20 yds, etc. still never had any safety pushed/pulled to off position because of brush or thickets.

ONCE I accidentally and unknowingly pushed a R 77 tang safety off by the web of my own hand, in OPEN hardwoods. That was MY fault.

Guess you can't learn everything you need to know sitting in a treestand in Awkinsaw

I dont see where he said anything about sitting in a tree stand in Awkinsaw in the above quote.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
However I the safety is always smoother on the push feed rifles. Kinda hard to have the best of both worlds....lol

I've had both and seen other examples and that wasn't the case.

However, let us know why you think it can be. What mechanical design would be the reason?

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm glad Jack O'Conner didn't like see-thru mounts and stripper clips as his fans would be cheering those too.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I'm glad Jack O'Conner didn't like see-thru mounts and stripper clips as his fans would be cheering those too.

That's funny. Some talk about how hardy they are but run for the house with them as soon as a cloud builds.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Seems like many here also have problems working a pump shotgun. Requires too much manual dexterity. Wing safeties probably confuse them also.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by battue
Seems like many here also have problems working a pump shotgun. Requires too much manual dexterity. Wing safeties probably confuse them also.

Well stated. I wonder if 280AI guy is as proficient with his 870 as he is with his keyboard?

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I laughed like hell after reading these quotes from Formidilosus

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
A scope maintaining zero on a rifle that is coddled and caressed like a new born baby like the vast majority of people do, isn't much of a testament to the optic.

Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Who cares what a scope does when the most "use" it gets is going from a padded safe, straight into a padded case, into a padded truck, laid on a padded blanket, covered up the moment it rains, god forbid it gets a scratch, and then back to the padded case, padded truck, padded safe. That ain't "use", nor close.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think a dedicated thumb wrestling workout may do wonders for his wing safety abilities.

We all use what we like, but gritty and loud is a stretch.

In my small part of the world it is usually push, paste, hit the trigger. I've also used it in other parts along with other safety styles. All seem to work. Then again I don't have any problems with pump shotguns.

For conversation JOC preferred SxS. 😀

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Ok, I get the controlled round feed argument. Problem is, I hate the safety on them. They are almost always loud and gritty feeling. Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy. Just kinda a turn off to me I guess. Anyone else like the idea of controlled round feed, but dislike the safety on them? Thanks

In typical 24 hour fashion. No where do I read: they won't work, they'll ruin a hunt etc. just that somebody doesn't like them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't have much use for single shots for BG. If I'm going to carry extra bullets around they may as well be in the rifle. But let me express same and someone will jump on my ass. I know it, I know they like them and know they use them successfully, so I dont go there.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM
Ok, I get the controlled round feed argument. Problem is, I hate the safety on them. They are almost always loud and gritty feeling. Im sure they smooth out over time, but they sure start off gritty and noisy. Just kinda a turn off to me I guess. Anyone else like the idea of controlled round feed, but dislike the safety on them? Thanks

In typical 24 hour fashion. No where do I read: they won't work, they'll ruin a hunt etc. just that somebody doesn't like them.

That's how I'm reading it.

I've never let a safety keep me from using a rifle that I otherwise like.

One poster said he doesn't use them. Just go cold chamber and safeties are not an issue.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
And some here hunt cold and still manage to kill game consistently while having to feed a round into the chamber. Think about it.

Yup. That would be my hunting companions and me, among others. At least mostly. We will be doing it again this year on three separate hunts.

There are exceptions. If we have game spotted and are stalking it, we'll go hot chamber. Lkewise if we are in close quarters (heavy timber/brush/etc.) and think we might jump something.

Mostly though, it is cold chamber, often or even usually all day.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

180 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 932 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.