Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
OP Offline
M
Hey guys, I am going to buy a new spotter and don't know if its nessasary to have the HD or not. I am going to get the 20x60x65 I think.

Whats everyones thoughts. Is there something better?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought a non HD Swarovski 20-60x65mm STS spotting scope last week. I did a ton of research before buying it, and everything I read or was told is that you'd never know the difference between the HD and non HD models for general hunting/field use, so it's not worth the extra expense, unless you plan on taking digital pictures (digiscoping) through it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After I bought a APO 66mm Leica I tried to see if I could trade my non-APO 77mm in on a APO version. I could see the difference and wish I'd paid the extra at first since trading up is way to expensive. My buddy did the same with a Non-HD Swaro, but he actually did make the trade up. If you can afford it buy the best.........................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have tried both and bought the non-HD for reasons of personal finance. If you can afford the HD, I would recommend that you get it. For serious glassing and birding, it is a superior scope...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The HD is a bit finer in optical quality. Both the standard or the HD are a serious investment and both are excellent scopes.
One would think that this should be the last scope that you are buying. Perhaps you are into, or will one day be into, Digiscoping. It may be worth pausing a moment and deciding if it pays to spend a little bit more now to get the finest option and never having to wonder if you should have or, as other have done, selling the non-HD at a loss and wind up buying the HD later. Please feel free to give me a call to discuss this and take a look at the Demo List.....#49314S ATS-65 HD Spotting Scope @ $1349.99.... #49096S 20-60x Zoom Eyepiece @ $299.99

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
When I was considering high end spotters a couple of years ago, a dealer who is into birding did a lot of research for me. She quoted someone at Swarovski as saying the difference between HD and non-HD versions was seeing individual bricks in a wall at 200 yards vs. seeing the texture of the bricks. I did not get either Swarovski (cost), and have no way to verify what I was told, but I do have confidence in this dealer, who seemed to offer honest opinions and did not try to hard-sell me any particular brand or scope.

OTOH, I know a serious competitive shooter who is a professional photographer who says HD glass offers no advantage in monochromatic contrast situations like shooting at black bullseyes. That seems to confirm that it's main advantage is discerning color contrasts, as in photography.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The major differences are color and resolution. For targets it would not make any difference. For subtle color variations it would show a difference

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
+1

Before I bought my 62mm Leica spotter, I called Leica and some other companies offering HD optics. The general concensus was that for "birders" especially, where colors are very important to their sport, the HD is a no-brainer. For hunting purposes, those same qualities are not as much of an issue.

Having said that, it sits in the back of my mind to trade up someday as well. It all comes down to the allocating of $'s to which pot.

I've never felt "undergunned" with the non-HD Leica spotter.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I probably should've pointed out that there's no way I could afford a new top-end spotting scope, whether HD or non HD, so I bought used. I guess if money were no object, I'd get the HD, but man they're expensive!

I wasn't necessarily in the market for a Swarovski (I would've been perfectly happy with Leica or Zeiss), but knew I wanted one of the best available, so I saved my money and patiently waited for the right deal to come along, and I think I did alright. I got the Swarovski STS 65mm body (non HD), 20-60x eye-piece, Swarovski window mount, Crooked Horn scope/tripod case, and a Slik tripod for $850.00 shipped...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Great spotter and price. Congrats!

Also, the 65mm with that eyepiece will be all you will ever need. Good choice. The 65mm, like my 62mm, packs better and are lighter than their larger counterparts. Easier out the window as well.

Enjoy your new optics.....I'm sure you will.

IC B3

M
OP Offline
M
Wow waputi, where did ya get a deal like that?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Doug--I want to see 6.5 holes at 1000k--which one is best period with no consideration for $'s.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The three best scopes available today are:
Leica APO-Televid 77
Zeiss Diascope 85mm T* FL AOS
Swarovski HD-80
These are the finest in optics, brightness, resolution, etc.
To say which of these three is the best is more a matter of opinion than fact. Is Hagen Daz better than Ben & Jerry's? Of the two identical twins is the Blonde or the Brunette better looking?
If you ask 20 people who makes the better scope of these three none would agree as to which and why. They are all great.
What it comes down to is....
Which is nicer looking, to you?
Which has the nicest color rendition, to you?
Which has the best weight balance, for you?
Which eyepiece give the most comfortable feel, to you?
Do you already have a favorite amoung these three? Will that sway your decision?

All three companies offer great service, however, Leica's passport warranty states that it covers everything and anything for life, even abuse and accidents. Zeiss has a transferable warranty, so if you give it away or sell it the new owner is covered.

The bottom line is that you cannot go wrong if you choose one of these three scopes. Yes, there are great quality scopes that will not cost as much. The Pentax PF80ED is a fantastic scope and probably the best scope available at the price, but you asked
which one is best period with no consideration for $'s.

Please, as always, feel free to call me and we can discuss subtle differences in optics.

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks--I will contact you on these as--weight, color etc make no difference as all I want is to be able to see holes in the target at 1k period.

NRA Life Member
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hoss,

If you can find a scope that will allow you to reliably see 6.5mm or even .30 bullet holes in paper at 1000 yards, I'd like to know about it. Holes in the black or under hazy conditions or through mirage, or under poor light? Fugedaboudit. I'm not trying to be a smartazz, and I'd really like to know if there is such a scope out there. I haven't shot paper at 1000 yards, but I've had a heckuva time seeing holes in the black even at 300 yards with my Zeiss 85. Ditto .22 holes at 200. I have been able to see .45 lead bullet splashes on silhouette targets at up to 1000 yards, if the mirage isn't too bad, but I assume you're wanting to see holes in a paper target. I will say that for extreme situations like you and are are dealing with, there's no such thing as "too good" when it comes to optics. Good luck in your search. I'll be interested in what you learn.

Paul

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To add a point which may be obvious, the best scopes really shine under less than optimal conditions. How many times does someone compare scopes or binocs outside at high noon on a sunny day and find little discernable difference? I have had ample opportunity to shoot on ranges near dusk or with the target in shade, and it's under those conditions that my big Zeiss has made a difference. The toughest challenge I've found has been at a Schuetzen match trying to spot .22 holes in a black German ring target at 200 yards in the rain. Can't be done. If you aren't familiar with these targets they have lots of narrow rings with numbers printed on them - lots of clutter.

Paul

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Paul---Spotting scope are a new subject for me. Scopes are a different matter but now I really need one because it is a PIA to get in the truck and drive close enough to see. I use a lot of US Optics scopes and really like the the detail I can see but they do not make a Spotter yet--one is in development but not yet avail.

This is going to be tough but fun!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks--I will contact you on these as--weight, color etc make no difference as all I want is to be able to see holes in the target at 1k period.

No scope is cabable of seeing 30 cal or smaller bullet holes at 1000yds due to atmospheric conditions. You'd need a video camera and 1000ft of cord to do it. One of the 3 Doug Mentioned would be great and Optolyth makes a 100mm spotter that is in high favor with some big time HP shooters...............DJ

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the input--this is one area that I have never really looked into because up until this point I never really needed a primo spotter. I fight mirage all the time at the higher powers when shooting at 1k matches and most of the time shoot at less than 42 power I will say that. The summer afternoon shoots are the worst but that is part of the game.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boss, If you get a chance you might try a couple scopes with different eyepeices. Try a regular one and a wide angle eyepeice. You might find out that you like the Wide angle better or worse at seeing Mirage. I prefer a wide angle for seeing Mirage because it gives you a better idea of where it's moving from instead of just in front of your target. YMMV.................DJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

625 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 163bc, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 69 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,660
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.