R
You getting along with B&C on both ends these days? grin

GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Glad you had a good day.. Sam... Too bad you had to wait for a rain for a day off..

ingwe, has every day off!!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
So do you!

And it doesn't suck, does it? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Life is tough.. Somebody has to do it.. No one deserves it more than us..

Molon Labe
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Dats the way I see it.... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
The Lapua brass are stamped Lapua on the head. The brass are brass colored. The 6x47 Lapua uses 6mm diameter (.243 caliber) bullets. The 6.5x47 Lapua uses 6.5mm diameter (.264 caliber) bullets.

Most are chambered in bolt action rifles. Those are rifles that you have to manually chamber a cartridge by utilizing what is called the 'bolt' that slides to and fro in the receiver. Attached to the bolt is a bolt handle to help in this action. There are also other parts such as ejectors/extractors but we'll get to those later.

Happy to help FNG's.

But, I heard some of the big kids say that sometimes the bolt handles don't always stay attatched to the bolt. What do you do if that happens?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
When it's raining and blowing there is zero guilt sitting inside, drinking beer and watching football for 8 hours.

1.3" of uber goodness(that's what she said, haha).

Plan for today is fresh air and CRP sharptails.

Shake this hangover off.

Ribs and hopefully grouse on the grill later.

More beer and football?

A guy could get used to this weekend lifestyle!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FU K KING SINNER, SAMMO! SONOFABITCH!

All we need now is Fatjack.

Tanner

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Tanner, you foul heathen, such language, my ears are burning!

SONUVABITCH!

If FJ and Adair showed up I don't think we could handle it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't expect Adair. He's off looking for Bigfoot and beating off to his mountain bike I would think. Likely already launched a few million arrows this month too.

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pappy348

But, I heard some of the big kids say that sometimes the bolt handles don't always stay attatched to the bolt. What do you do if that happens?

Vise Grips smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Jorge,did you try those 160 gr Nosler Partitions in the 7mm Wby?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Jorge,did you try those 160 gr Nosler Partitions in the 7mm Wby?

FWIW,

the 7mm. 160 gr. Partitions.....

[Linked Image]

shoot MOA (minute of Aoudad) to 310 yds. in my ol' Sako 7mag.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
IMO the 160 gr NP's go with the various 7 mags like peaches and cream.

7mm Dakota and cow elk killed with a 160 gr NP.

[Linked Image]

7mm RUM and 160 gr NP,shot this mule deer at a whopping 110 yds.

[Linked Image]

Got my azz chewed on by my wife for all the bloodshot meat. Where the rifle barrel is,is more or less where the bullet entered. The deer was walking up the hill straight away from me. Found the bullet later (while butchering it) in the brisket area.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
IMO the 160 gr NP's go with the various 7 mags like peaches and cream.

One of the better things you can stick in an animal. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Big Stick

'flave,

SAAMI 243Win @ 8" is an exceptionally forgiving place to be. PV has .530BC 105's for under 20 Clams a can currently and you'll not get more...for less,nor close(BC for the buck).

The 2.8" box is plenty,a Smooch easily arranged and '17 will happily grant 3050fps with amazingly scant ES/SD values.

That'd be a hint.

Hint....................

I just so happen to have a good supply of all of those.

Though I have no fugking idea why. Laughin'....

Thanks.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Straight up gansta trifecta earlier today.

Smoke and shoot corners.

No rude comments on the beer please, words hurt.

[Linked Image]

I guess once you spend all your money on quality rifles, something has to give in the budget...

Grin.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have owned a lot of Wby Mark Vs, since about 1970. I have owned all the Wby calibres except for the 224 and 7mm but have shot both. I have also had seven 378s,that's right, seven of 'em grin Four were via the custom shop.

As to accuracy in my opinion the best are the Made in USA versions since about 1995.

The enemy to accuracy in a Wby chambering is if the parallel free bore section is too big in diameter. The spec is .0005 over bullet diameter. Of the standard issue Wbys the most consistently accurate is the 460. Of course this is after bedding etc. The reason for this is the 460 is a custom shop barrelled action and the freebore diameter is right on spec and sometime even smaller.

It is important to bear in mind that Wby freebore is a parallel section, like a cylinder whereas conventional chamberings it is tapered.

The freebore brings some pluses and minuses.

In a conventional chamber as most reloaders know seating the bullet a little deeper or a little further out can really tidy up the groups. However, this is not a bullet travel issues as such. What happens when you make a small change to the seating depth you alter the ignition characteristics.

A Wby does not allow that option. This results in general that a Wby chambering will not usually offer top accuracy with a wider range of components and simply because you can't really alter the ignition characteristics.

On the plus side and with an accurate load a Wby chambering is more likely to put the first shot from a clean cold barrel into the group or very close. Same when a shot is fired from a barrel with cold hard fouling.

Another plus is the Wby will generally give better velocities from powders that would normally be considered to fast. Try something like 4064 or Varget burn rate in a 300 Wby and you can see some big velocities and top accuracy. This does add to loading flexibility.

One last point concerning the Mark V action. Action feed rails are not involved. In fact the magazine is heavy metal and is similar in operation to the old 303 SMLE. Tabs on the magazine control the feeding. Thus a 257 Wby and a 460 Wby are identical actions except for the magazine/follower and the slot on the bottom of the bolt that acts a the bolt guide and bolt stop is shorter. When calibres like 30/06 were chambered in the 9 lug action the same applies. What this means is conversion of a Mark V from one calibre to another is very simple and trouble free.

In fact if my memory is working AussieGunWriter (when he was living in Australia) had a 270 Wby changed to 416 Wby and it simple. Just a new magazine box/follower and of course opened bolt face.

I hqv ehad most gun makes come through my hands and the Mark V wins for feeding reliability and double so for any of the 378 based calibres. All the 378 based calibres use a centre line feed and a centre line feed (assuming all else is equal) will always beat a stagger feed for reliability.

Personally, after having been a gun nut since about age 15 I reckon there are three factory actions. Rem 700, Model 70 and Wby Mark V.

As a side note Wby has always been regarded as the prize import agency in Australia. They stick with the appointed distributor and won't sell to others. Their Custom Shop is a pure pleasure to deal with. However, if you use the Custom Shop as opposed to buying their stand custom shop offerings on the website, then it does get expensive, very expensive.

I guess if I had to pick one rifle tomorrow it would be a custom shop 270 Wby and with the all steel bottom metal, the Krieger cut rifling barrel and Krieger action work.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting Mike. I might have to try some quick burners in my 300 (Rem 700 rebarrel). I usually stick with 7828 and Retumbo.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Page 19 of 20 1 2 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,716
Posts18,475,754
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.