Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
As always, comments and critiques welcome.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for looking
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Very neat looking material. Is it any harder to work than other materials?

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Attractive looking material. Is it from an animal you have harvested? If not what was your source. I like the different style knives and differing sheath treatments rather than the same thing over and over.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wow Tim, that's spectacular

Michael Jordan once told me that no one likes name droppers.

I would like to give a shout out to sidewalks for keeping me off the streets
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Musk ox horn works up a lot like sheep horn. Tough but not hard to work with other than like sheep horn getting and keeping it flat a treat.

I acquired the material from a 'fire member who lives up there and harvested the animal. It is one of those things that you get if/when it shows up available. They don't carry it in the hobby aisle at Wally World.

Top/left knife blade 154CM, pins and bolt nickel silver.
Middle knife blade same, caribou antler spacer, soldered nickel silver guard and aluminum butt cap threaded on.
Bottom/right knife 440C with nickle silver pins.
All at 59Rc with 2x cryo cycled.

Big sheaths by 757 (Doug), neck sheath by me.
Knives by me.
Thanks for looking and comments.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Mighty fine.
Really like the 154cm knife on the left. That's cherry!

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Very nice work, I like the Mush Ox horn I have one Jim Behring Treeman knives handled one and 2 others that have the horn as spacers! stuff is very hard to get!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
F
Frm Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Love 'em all, Tim! THe one on the left is awesome!

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
All look great

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Nice. I've had a Muskox handled knife for about 15 years, I provided the horn to the maker. It's neat stuff.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
more excellent work, from one of the best. smile

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Tim, very nice, really like that middle knife, believe that's the same pattern you made one or two for me in......

Best,

Tim

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
Hi Tim.
The one in the pic is a little slimmer, more of small game possibly with a relatively long handle.
The first I did of that pattern has been excellent on rabbits, squirrels and turkeys.

Thanks all for the comments.

I have some blades similar to the drop point in a design inspired by Boise in S30V, but I tweaked this blade to fit my hand and resemble a pic from the cover of a 1991 magazine I have been thinking about for a while.

IF I do another batch of something it may include the above pattern in S30V at .125". I have received some requests for such, but hanging on to a piece of steel is getting more difficult each year.
Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent work Tim. Seems your knives are the ones most commonly found in my hunting pack.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
"Seems your knives are the ones most commonly found in my hunting pack."
Hmmmmm. Must be a coincidence. Me too!

Albert Einstein

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I pleaded, cajoled, begged and even did a medium-grovel in trying to get Tim to sell me the left-most knife in his original pix. To no avail. However, in conversation I did mention that I liked carbon steel and named off a couple different steels. Turns out that Tim had a knife he had done a while back out of 52100 with buffalo horn scales. He would not sell it to me, but said he would loan it to me to try out on a perforated porker. Well, I won't be going back to the Petting Zoo until the 1st of October, so I did the next best thing....

[Linked Image]

Got a couple thick-cut pork chops to try it out on. Man-o-man it is a slicer. I have no doubt it will unwrap a hoglet in fine fashion. Can't hardly wait.

JAPPFT,

GWB

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
GW
That is one of the more interesting little tales I have heard in a while. I guess that knife should work on experienced meat, but I am really interested in hearing how it does in the field on those fresh piggies -- or whatever.

I am thinking if it works tooo good, I will only ever see it again in a bloody picture.
I do have some more musk ox horn that I am not sure what to do with it.
Tim

Albert Einstein

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
I'm ready to start,

[Linked Image]

Come on October!

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 09/22/15.

M
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
M
GWB
You sure use some interesting table cutlery.
Looks like you feed yourself well also.
PM coming on the next project we discussed.
Thanks
Tim

Albert Einstein

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Had the chance to go to my deer lease last Thursday....

[Linked Image]

aka "the Petting Zoo"

Among other things I did manage to snare this hoglet

[Linked Image]

Well a while back Tim loaned me his "Buffalo Skinner".

[Linked Image]

Said to "wear it out", and when I got tired of it, send it back.

Well up to this point, all I'd been able to cut with it was a pork chop. But I was able to fix that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

According to Tim the knife is Forged 52100 steel that has been deferentially heat treated. The handle is Buffalo Horn w/ leather & fiber spacers. The guard is brass. And yes it's a skinner....

[Linked Image]

Tim, I do believe it's gonna take more than one hoglet and an ol' fart's index finger to take the edge off. So it may be a while before........ LOL

JAPPFT,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 10/05/15.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

229 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 31 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,499
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.