Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Originally Posted by ltppowell
We found a couple of these on a sweetgum at the creek the other day. Apparently, they're common, but we had never seen one before.

Hickory Horned Devil

[Linked Image]

Sure would give a new meaning to dangerous game hunting if those things went about 750lbs.

Things were more interesting back in the Carboniferous... [Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Great minds. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Valsdad
bea, sorry for the minor hijack, I couldn't resist the ALIEN temptation crazy

Cool pics of the caterpillar. I've seen a few weird ones over the years too.

Thanks,

Geno

Highjack all you want i could care less

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At one point in my college career I was collecting in the field and raising to maturity hundreds of corn earworm larvae to measure parasitism and disease rates.

Here's one of them outstanding nature videos of one sort (there's a bunch)...

I can state with authority that after you have looked at a few hundred of these things up close through a dissecting scope, caterpillars are a totally alien and repulsive life form; segmented worms with legs and multiple eyes scattered in strange places on their heads. Even the cute little ones are just as repulsive as the big ones when you crank the magnification up.

Hit 'em with the right hormone at any size and they'll go through the skin-shedding thing, sorta like Jeff Goldblum in "The Fly".

The worst thing is when you're looking at a pupa under the scope and suddenly the top pops off and you're looking at a huge pair of compound eyes looking back, sticking out the top of the pupa, then this worm-looking thing with big eyes and legs quickly squeezes out (to later do the hardening and rearranging thing into the familiar moth).

And the stench; keep hundreds in a confined space and there's a smell, something resembling chicken house crap, from all the nitrogenous wastes. This goes in spades for the emerging from the pupa stage, it stinks.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds like fun.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds like fun.

..or a college work-study job to help pay one's tuition. Gross but not as menial as some such jobs.

The other thing IIRC which will produce a stunted caterpillar like that is starvation if they get separated from the host plant or if the food runs out. If I'm recalling right that can trigger an attempt to pupate with such reserves as they might have.

If they pull it off IIRC they emerge as a smaller than usual adult with fewer reserves to engage in the strenuous dispersing/host plant locating/egg laying processes of reproduction. Or else if weaker they get stuck in mid-transformation like that one appears to be.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
sounds like fun.

..or a college work-study job to help pay one's tuition. Gross but not as menial as some such jobs.

The other thing IIRC which will produce a stunted caterpillar like that is starvation if they get separated from the host plant or if the food runs out. If I'm recalling right that can trigger an attempt to pupate with such reserves as they might have.

If they pull it off IIRC they emerge as a smaller than usual adult with fewer reserves to engage in the strenuous dispersing/host plant locating/egg laying processes of reproduction. Or else if weaker they get stuck in mid-transformation like that one appears to be.

Birdwatcher

mike if i'd of been doing that research, i'd be able to tell which ones worked best on bluegills.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
mike if i'd of been doing that research, i'd be able to tell which ones worked best on bluegills.

Which practical mindset precisely accounts fer your popularity around these boards grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter

Bestest thing I know about bluegills is they make one heck of a snook bait. smile

Last edited by local_dirt; 10/09/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175
Weird Caterpillar, Looks like the one in Alice in Wonderland. Just took the photo an hour ago.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Cool. Those big fake eyes are to deter predators. Those with random patterns that tended to look more like eyes tended to be passed up by them, so they lived to pass on that trait.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
actually pretty common and unreal how realistic some species are....was gonna grab a photo or two but seeing the whole batch at once is more effective

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...=iry&nost=1&tab=organic&ri=3

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

253 members (204guy, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 29 invisible), 2,029 guests, and 1,061 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,746
Posts18,495,188
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.