Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
thanks for the reply, kinda what I was thinking.

Never been involved with ships, but with drilling rigs. Mescans are common place in shipyards (that do repair / refurb) over here now.

not sure how much the pay gap is with them compared to americans.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Valsdad
yes,

San Diego:

http://www.nassco.com/products-and-services/comm-design-construction.html

Portland OR:

http://vigor.net/projects/shipbuilding

There's a number more out there too.

Might take a while to ramp up production, and maybe not to WWII levels, but we can stillbuild boats, commercial and military here.

Geno

Geno, Vigor is having a hell of a time with QC. They fail a lot of X-rays. The shipyard I work at puts out better product, but the workforce is not what it used to be. The younger generation don't know or want to know what hard work is. The "entitled" are hard to train and whine a lot. Nothing like my grandfathers generation or even my dad's.... Granddad started out in St. Louis and dad was a Navy Sea Bee.... Back then, you had a problem with a flunky, you took them out back.... wink. Bunch of fu cking pansies now days though.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
One builds barges, ferry's and work boats, General Dynamics/Nassco has 3 shipyards San Diego, Norfolk, and Jacksonville and is the only full service shipyard on the West Coast... the company has built 53 ships in 55 years amongst their 3 yards. While that might be a fantastic record, its a far cry from what we once had.

Found this 2001 report on U.S. capabilities, page 10 shows the number of ways and maximum ship length capability. Long but interesting.

Link

Phil

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
yes,

San Diego:

Portland OR:

Might take a while to ramp up production, and maybe not to WWII levels, but we can stillbuild boats, commercial and military here.

Geno

Geno, Vigor is having a hell of a time with QC. They fail a lot of X-rays. The shipyard I work at puts out better product, but the workforce is not what it used to be. The younger generation don't know or want to know what hard work is. The "entitled" are hard to train and whine a lot. Nothing like my grandfathers generation or even my dad's.... Granddad started out in St. Louis and dad was a Navy Sea Bee.... Back then, you had a problem with a flunky, you took them out back.... wink. Bunch of fu cking pansies now days though.

[Linked Image]

A young apprentice Korean welder aspires to be great. From start of day to break to lunch to break to end of day (12 hours usually) the hood is down the majority of the time. Hence why I wrote what I did. They just get with it...

Conduct is the best proof of character.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Greyghost
One builds barges, ferry's and work boats, General Dynamics/Nassco has 3 shipyards San Diego, Norfolk, and Jacksonville and is the only full service shipyard on the West Coast... the company has built 53 ships in 55 years amongst their 3 yards. While that might be a fantastic record, its a far cry from what we once had.

Found this 2001 report on U.S. capabilities, page 10 shows the number of ways and maximum ship length capability. Long but interesting.

Link

Phil

Fantastic record? It took those yards 55 years to make what the smaller Korean yard does in 9 months. crazy

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The whole premise of the capacity to build trans oceanic vessels to "Win" some sorta' hypothetical "War" falls really flat , in my view.

Sorry, Sam,....

No building Liberty or Victory ships , this time around.

Anybody up to speed on what the letters MSTS actually MEAN, and how many vessels are reserved for (Lord Forbid) the MSTS mission going front and center ?

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well Electric Boat in New London, CT makes submarines, and no they are not building like they did in the World War II Era or the 1950- 1960's either, then their is the Bath Yard in Maine! Then again there is never going to be an all out conflict like World War II either- Nor is there ever going to be a shooting war with the Russians either its just not going to happen, we and the Russians will be fighting this low level junk with stateless persons! And even if we did go for a full scale War with all that goes along with it, it will last but a few days or weeks, not the years the First or Second World Wars lasted- the weapons are to accurate and they go were we tell them to go and hit for the most part what we want to hit! So unless you have it already in the inventory, you are not going to have the time to built stuff to replace the losses the war would be over long before you could even begin the task of building the stuff!

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
A while back I was reading an article on the new Panama Canal which mentioned the new ships in the planing stages currently at close to 14,000 units but with a couple close to 1,300 feet and 17,000 units, don't think we even have that capability.

Monsters...

Phil

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
wink

Last edited by GeoW; 10/08/15.

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Why would someone want to build ships or go into a high cost materially and labor intensive business when a person can make more marketing computer games for teens?

Phil

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why would someone want to build ships or go into a high cost materially and labor intensive business when a person can make more marketing computer games for teens?

Phil

That's the elephant in the room.

abusus non tollit usum
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I was wrong on the size of the new container ships. The new one's won't even be able to dock in the U.S. and there are some already built and in service in England of a new Oscar class which are 1,300 feet in length and carrying nearly 19,300 TEU's;

Link

and some are saying a company in China is planing on building ships with a 24,000 TEU capacity.

Phil

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
In the event of a major conflict - shipbuilding would come to a standstill due to unavailability of steel. Much the same problem that caused the South to lose "the war of Northern agression"
To build a house - you must have 2X4's

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A while back I was reading an article on the new Panama Canal which mentioned the new ships in the planing stages currently at close to 14,000 units but with a couple close to 1,300 feet and 17,000 units, don't think we even have that capability.

Monsters...

Phil

The completely STUPID, and fantasy based sea level ditch, or the one in Nicaragua, Phill ?

When you return from cloud 9, suggest you get yourself up to speed on what's actually up down that way.

Link: http://www.seanews.com.tr/news/1531...strict-Panama-transits-to-12-metres.html

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I would suggest you your self wake up or at least read what has been posted fool!

Phil

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by EdM
yes,

San Diego:

Portland OR:

Geno

[Linked Image]

A young apprentice Korean welder aspires to be great. From start of day to break to lunch to break to end of day (12 hours usually) the hood is down the majority of the time. Hence why I wrote what I did. They just get with it...

I hate to agree with you, but you are right. It is amazing what those guys can get done.....

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yes,

San Diego:

Portland OR:

Geno

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it was a sad day when we had to stop the blanket parties! grin

I didn't know about the Vigor issues, just know of them from the tug guys and the trade mags on the boats.
NASSCO I know of as my dad and friends worked in the shipbuilding industry in San Diego, my dad at SD Marine for a number of years. Friends there, NASSCO and others. One of my best friends from HS still works down there too.

You may be right about the youngsters, however we have some older guys who have had to be talked to about not accomplishing much during a workday and some young ones I'd work with any day.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Link

Phil

Guys, I was just answering the OP's question, not making a statement as to how great the US shipbuilding capabilities are, or commenting on the quality of the build, or if it was cost efficient, or could we resupply the armed forces, or addressing whether we need to or not.

From the OP's first post:

"but can we/do we still build commercial vessels?"

you've seen my reply regarding two yards that still exist and can still build commercial vessels. I posted links that show that they are still doing so fairly recently. ( I see that new Tidewater tug occasionally from my place)

And Greyghost's post seems to back me up, no? (see red text for clarification, those are commercial vessels if I'm not mistaken. Not many folks taking them out bass fishing. wink )

There are others, so I guess the answer to the question posted right there in the subject of the thread is...yes.

Geno

PS, give me a break, after all I'm just a dysfunctional squirrel who likes Cowboy hats, and other stuff..... on scantily clad women. cool

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/08/15. Reason: PS

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
yes,

travel to south Louisiana.

Bollinger and Chouest turn out quite a few

Ship building is alive and well on the northern gulf coast.

Chouest was spitting out supply boats like mad not to long ago.

Ingalls, Atlantic and Halter Marine in south Mississippi have a steady back log and are always hiring.

Austal USA in Mobile, AL is currently under DOD contract, building LCS for the Navy, as well as other projects. They are always hiring as well.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Link

Phil

Guys, I was just answering the OP's question, not making a statement as to how great the US shipbuilding capabilities are, or commenting on the quality of the build, or if it was cost efficient, or could we resupply the armed forces, or addressing whether we need to or not.

From the OP's first post:

"but can we/do we still build commercial vessels?"

you've seen my reply regarding two yards that still exist and can still build commercial vessels. I posted links that show that they are still doing so fairly recently. ( I see that new Tidewater tug occasionally from my place)

And Greyghost's post seems to back me up, no? (see red text for clarification, those are commercial vessels if I'm not mistaken. Not many folks taking them out bass fishing. wink )

There are others, so I guess the answer to the question posted right there in the subject of the thread is...yes.

Geno

PS, give me a break, after all I'm just a dysfunctional squirrel who likes Cowboy hats, and other stuff..... on scantily clad women. cool

Geno, you think you are dysfunctional? The people I used to work for wanted to try their hands at building barges. I was all for it until they wanted to start omitting transverse frames, IE: skip every other frame. They used to push some of the barges down the river for you guys (fish runs). They overloaded a gravel barge and it folded in half. That was a 6 million dollar mistake. Needless to say, I said screw you guys and went back to Portland.....There's definitely places to build big commercial vessels in the states, the hard thing would be training the workforce to build these monstrosities.....and I remember my grandpa telling me he could train any monkey to weld... whistle... A lot of monkeys would rather stay home and sit their fat azzes on the couch and collect welfare I guess....

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,710 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,818
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.