Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I bought a DPMS Oracle last year. I got a EoTech entry level sight and some flip up sights from Brownells (their brand). I also installed a smaller diameter fore end on it so I could mount the EoTech sight forward and leave room for the rear sight. Enjoy!!!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Scott F
I agree and I would like to try it without glass first. Tomorrow I will start looking and see what I can find but with my tired old eyes the rear sight will have to be a peep.
You'll never find anything that gets you on target quicker and more accurately than a Holosight.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by Scott F
I agree and I would like to try it without glass first. Tomorrow I will start looking and see what I can find but with my tired old eyes the rear sight will have to be a peep.

This thing came WITHOUT a rear sight ?

Without any sights at all.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for ll the suggestions. I will be playing with the ruger for a while, tuning the action, casting some bullets, learning to powder coat, pepping brass, finding and playing different powders, loading, emptying the loaded rounds, and starting all over again.

In the mean time I will be educating myself on the AR and probably looking to build a 300 blackout upper. Fun projects for a old man to keep him busy.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It sounds like you have the AR sickness Scott.

I've thought about powder coating for my blackhawk but lubing while sizing is just too easy.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
As i mentioned on the phone, i goofed on one a few years ago, having the pic rail, pop up rear irons, but i left the triangular front sight gas trap on the rifle, should of had it flat top all the way, for low mounting a quick detach scope.
One idea i have been thinking about is a leupold or something like that for longer range, and a side mount holograph for closer stuff.
I have messed with a number of the red dot, but mostly you see 2moa dots or larger, and i like it finer than that. You can easily put more dinero in the sighting systems than the rifle.
I don't really like the idea of junking up these rifles, and have poo poo'd light systems, until i was using a high lumens count light on a glock at midnight a few weeks ago. It lit up the night sky. I really think it's some of these options that make them so versitle. I have a cousin not far from you by the way that went to the beowolf cartridge in the a.r. platform. Kind of like a 45.70 in the black rifle.
I have been thinking a long time about a little heavier round like the 6.8 or the blackout.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/07/15.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Snake River Marksman
It sounds like you have the AR sickness Scott.

I've thought about powder coating for my blackhawk but lubing while sizing is just too easy.

I am messing with powder coating too. But you can't get much easier than this.
A quick trip to autozone, a can of that vtech engine block spray paint, spray the bullets, and a quick bake at 400degrees for about ten minutes. I didn't even size them. It does work.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've seen enough evidence over at cast boolits that powder coating works. Its just that the techniques that I've seen over there were a lot more involved. Besides, what else am I going to do when there's ten feet of snow outside and it's 20 below?

For something heavier, I'm intrigued by the idea of the 25-45 Sharps.
http://srcarms.com/wordpress/25-45-sharps/ammunition/

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
While there and while thinking about all the crap about gun control in the news I looked at an AR.

Scott, that is how I ended up with an AR after the price went back down after Sandy Hook. I snore so bad that the wife and I sleep in separate rooms, and She keeps a pistol and laid claim the the .30 carbine, so I got the AR to keep me company along with my 9mm S&W auto. Hope they are just decorator items but they are there if needed. Mine came with a red dot, but I gave it to Curdog, at Quemado one year. He was having trouble with his right eye and he thought that he could shoot the red dot. I think that I remember him telling me that it worked out. I also think that he had Cataract surgery recently and maybe that eye is fixed. miles

Yep, My eye works again. I put the Aimpoint on my 444 Marlin and it worked fine. As soon as I got my eye fixed, I took it off.

I'll be glad to send it back to you.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'll be glad to send it back to you.

I don't need it, but if you know or run into anybody that does, feel free to pass it on. I gave it to you with no strings attached. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You want to try this Red Dot, Scott?

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You did good Scott. The Ruger is going to be fun to work with and will make you realize that the old guys weren't poorly armed in the late 1800's and early 1900's with their 45's. I have had a Ruger single action since 1969 of one type or another and mostly several at once. I now carry a New Vaquero in 45 Colt with a 5 1/2 inch barrel when hunting and knocking around in the woods and sometimes an old Single Six that came with both cylinders. They are both very versatile firearms. One day my sons will get to decide who the next owner of those two will be.

I'm kind of a walnut/blued steel guy when it comes to rifles and it is taking me some work to warm up to my AR's. I started out plinking with a 5.56 and added a 6.8 Remington upper later on when I thought I might want to hunt deer with one. I have been down the accessory road for the AR's and have decided that less is better and much lighter. A sling, scope and 5 round magazine is all my two AR's carry now and they are much easier to use. After using them for several years, they still don't feel like a real rifle to me and I don't know that they ever will. If they were worth anything on a trade in, I'd trade them both in tomorrow, get an M1 or M1A and never look back.

Harry
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Couple of good choices there Scott. You'll find the AR a hoot to play with.

+1 BIG TIME; I'd suggest strong consideration of a low power variable. Mine wears a Bushnell 3200 2-7x 32mm w/ firefly reticle and it's brilliant.

Mine wears a Leupold 1-4.

Low power variables are at home on an AR.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Scott, as many have said already, you're going to enjoy the chit outta that AR. I resisted getting one for years-through a couple of the scare/shortages and finally picked up a basic PSA patrol rifle last year and it has been a blast. Probably more aftermarket options than any gun on the planet but like a couple of guys said, be sure to pick up 3 or 4 Magpul hi caps while they are relatively cheap and plentiful.

jOHN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
As i mentioned on the phone, i goofed on one a few years ago, having the pic rail, pop up rear irons, but i left the triangular front sight gas trap on the rifle, should of had it flat top all the way, for low mounting a quick detach scope.

You can always cut the top of the A2 front sight off leaving it only as a pinned gas block. You could then cover it with a longer rail, sights, lights or whatever turns you on.

[Linked Image]

The conversion is no problem at all and takes all of 10 minutes and then you can clean it up and paint it as nice as you like.

[Linked Image]

*Master of random precision*
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Two hundred plus 255 grain bullets cast tonight and ready for powder coating. I pick up my stones for polishing the Ruger hammer and sear and will work on it tomorrow. Goal is to powder coat Saturday, load a bunch of sissy rounds with these 255 gr bullets then head out to the range and give the Ruger a try.

Tonight I risked loosing my man card and read the directions on the AR. Now I can take it apart and clean it. Got plenty of time to work on the AR since I have not started to look for components to load and I am just to stubborn to buy loaded ammunition for any centre fire.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
1973 is a long time. Since you have waited almost my entire life I'd say you deserve it! Good things come to those who wait.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Heck of a nice double tap Scott! I hope you have lots of fun!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think you should enjoy a cigar as well....:)

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bubbajay
I think you should enjoy a cigar as well....:)

Great idea!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 16 invisible), 1,633 guests, and 994 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,588
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.