Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Enlighten me:

What is the big deal about a "dreaded donut" inside a neck.

Just exactly what are the problems? What does it do ?

I'll have to say again that my Quick Load throws out some phenomenally sensitive variables amounting to thousands of PSI and Velocity.

But I just don't have a handle on this "donut"

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you have good coffee, donuts are not a problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Short version: It messes with proper bullet seating and can cause chambering issues as well.

Side note: I believe you have a QL addiction.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Gotcha. Agree.

Those bullets that are long and protrude down in the case to meet COAL may meet some internal obstruction. However, they will push out the donut and cause some infinitesimal friction grip.

Is it actually measureable and it is it even significant?

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 10/14/15.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It is significant, it is measurable, it can and does mess things up. Inconsistent bullet grip, runout issues, et cetera.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
It is significant, it is measurable, it can and does mess things up. Inconsistent bullet grip, runout issues, et cetera.

Big Time. And worse.

Here's an example and my first experience with the donut.

I formed 7 Mashburn Super brass from .300 Winchester Magnum brass. I had previously neck turned the new .300 Winchester brass before forming the 7 Mashburn. After running it through the die, it was obvious that the shoulder was pushed back and the neck of the Mashburn was longer, now comprised of part of the shoulder of the original .300 WM brass. I had turned the .300 WM brass down and into the shoulder a bit as I always do to actually avoid forming a donut.

[Linked Image]

The donut was obvious, but I thought it wouldn't matter since it was going to be on the OD anyway after sizing with the expander ball or expander mandrel before doing any bullet seating. I proceeded with load development and really had a difficult time; I couldn't find an obvious node in the ladder. I tried a couple of loads in the ladder and shot them for long range groups as well as 100 yard groups.

Long range groups were horrible with tons of vertical. All over the place. The 5 shot 100 yard group was pretty good.

[Linked Image]

Thinking it may be a seating depth issue, I went out and shot a test. It didn't improve anything. 550 yards with well over an MOA of vertical stringing...

[Linked Image]

Then I got to thinking about the obvious donut at the base of the neck on the brass. Threw some calipers on it and measured it. Checked the reamer diagram for neck dimensions. Chamber neck dimension was .317" and the donut at the base measured .317" to .321". Compound that by seating a bullet in the sized case and pushing it out another .002" and you have a big problem chambering a round. The bullet was being squeezed big time when the case was chambered in that little donut area.

[Linked Image]

The real telltail was taking a fired case and slipping a bullet into the neck. It should slip in freely all the way. When this was tried, the bullet would stop in the neck when the bearing surface in front of the boat tail came in contact with the donut that was now in the ID after being fired.

I ran the existing sized brass through the expander mandrel, neck turned off the donut all the way into the shoulder a tad, loaded 10 and went to the range with the load I had.

Vertical was cut in half and accuracy was much better.

I'll have to reshoot load development because I'm sure the results were inconclusive due to the ff'd up brass.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is one of the best ever posts. Fantastic. I love it.

I read it twice, but wait, I'm the inveterate pain in the ass. B

I'll pick it apart maybe needlessly.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 10/14/15.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
When I fire form with pistol powder and a wax plug instead of a bullets, it extends the neck. I'm speaking 6PPC. I have to expand the neck about .006 and then turn kissing the shoulder neck juncture. I have no donut doing it this way and the neck expander does very little and does not push the neck back.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Running the expander mandrel into the fire formed, sized brass, then neck turning to eliminate the donut yielded great results.

Same load as before. The last 3 went into less than one inch at 600. Vertical stringing was eliminated completely.

Must have had a breath of wind at about 1/2 MOA

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! That sure came together for you, Rick!

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
RC
That post is worthy of inclusion in a reloading manual. Good info. Thanks

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The best I've ever used:

[Linked Image]TN1 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

[Linked Image]TN2 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

If you click on the photo you can see that the shoulder is just 'lightly skimmed'! Cartridge shown is Lapua 30/06 brass and I run the case up into a mandrel measuring .3075" prior to inserting the arbor of the turning tool!

The results?

Five shots from 800 yards. The rifle/ammo will do this quite often for me.

[Linked Image]Beanland06 by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Last edited by Sharpsman; 10/22/15.

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 1badf350, 54 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,013 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.