-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,529 of 1,842 1 2 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1841 1842
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to hear about your uncle Dave, if you looked up to him, I'd wager he was quite a man.

Thanks Justin, I love me some elk.

I just got word a bit ago my mom shot a 4 point (8 pointer to you eastern types) whitetail tonight with her bow. she sent me a pic, looks to be a nice 2 y/o buck. her first bow kill and dad said it was probably 5 yards when he got out there and walked it off (yes she was hunting alone). she called me moments after she shot and sounded like she was on an adrenaline rush you wouldn't believe. to say she was stoked is an understatement. perfect double lung shot, I'm sure proud of my mom! I'll get a pic up here in the morning, headed to bed now.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by northern_dave

thanks, he was a guy I looked up to quite a but growing up.

I'm sorry that you lost a man you look up to. I have no doubt he's proud of you.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 3006Justin
Sorry for your loss, ND! Thanks for the welcome Rooster. Tzone whereabouts in WI, I think I said it before but I hunt in Vilas county. Though I haven't been able to hunt WI for 6 years unfortunately, ugh, something always pops up. Wow, that's an awful nice looking elk, Ryan.

We'll be in Douglass co this time. I hunted in Ashland co for many years, then Price, and now Douglass. I lived in Weeton, down by Wausau for 11 years, and you probably know that's in Marathon Co. I still get down there and in your stomping grounds for turkeys every spring.

Last edited by tzone; 10/13/15.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Did you get in a tree yet male chicken #7?

No I haven't made it out yet. I messed up my leg pretty bad and was in a boot for a few weeks. I'm thinking maybe this weekend now that both boys football seasons ended last night in the playoffs.

They both went out with a bang. It seemed like there names were being announced on almost every tackle and big run on offense.

One is a senior linebacker and fullback and played his heart out on both offense and defense so the tears were flowing pretty good after the loss. He scored their only TD. The other is junior and is showing himself to be a power house linebacker and full back. Next year he is going to be fun to watch!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Cool! Congrats to them for making the playoffs!

My shortest buddy is also a full back and line backer...and D-Tackle and O-tackle. grin

He's a firecracker on D. Fun to watch. He gets all fired up when the coach calls him "Beastmode" on D. Big change from last year when he couldn't figure out which way to run at LB. laugh They have 2 more games left before the playoffs.

I haven't been up in one either. I may get to in a few weeks. I drew a permit to hunt a park across from our house again, so I'm hoping for a shot at a doe at least. It's been 6 years since I drew my bow on a deer.

IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
That's cool tzone, my cousin's oldest son (around 14yrs old but not exactly sure) shot a 11 point buck either last weekend or early this week. I saw the pictures on Facebook, man did it look nice. Her husband is from the Mennomonie Reservation, so I'm not sure if he shot it on the Reservation or if it was on one of their friends property in Shawano County.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where's the pics ND?

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Yesterday was the first day of our firearms deer hunt for youth hunters, an early season for kids.

I worked till 3,then Joey and I piled into the truck with a 220 swift and a 410 shotgun. (Shotgun was for birds on our way out to the hunting spot.)

We got out to camp chickenbuck around 4pm. We got up into Pam's enclosed deer stand and sat there drinking our waters and eating little 3 musketeer bars. We soon slipped into a silly imagination session where we joked about a "Rhino-roo" which is a 2300 lb rhino on kangaroo legs, very noisy sweaty animals, heavy breathers.... Loud jumpers.

Also flying "squrtles" which is a squirrel turtle. Turtle shell with squirrel head and legs, tries to fly and glide from tree to tree, not good at it though.

Then, the wind calmed a bit, 6:40 PM. I told Joe, "OK, lets quiet down now, we've got a real good chance here in these next 15 minutes.

6:55, Joe spots a nice doe straight ahead, 80 yds. He went into buck fever mode... Lol! It was awesome. I whispered "I'm going to help you buddy, OK?"

His eyes were huge, locked on target, he nodded his head yes. I helped with a guiding hand to slowly and smoothly lay the rifle barrel out the stand window without clonking on anything. I clicked his safety off as he was taking aim. "Do you see it Joe?" He nodded yes, I told him go ahead if you've got a nice shot. BOOOM!

Hahaha!

Straight down!

Little 50 grain JSP .224 bullet from the 220 swift found its mark.

Nice clean hunt, nice assist from Joe on the field dress, just perfect. I was showing him stuff as we did the field dressing. Asked him if he wanted to bring the heart home. "Heck yeah" he says.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
NorthernDave, congrats to you on the awesome youth hunt, my hats off to ya brother, that there is our future hunting sports.

And shoot a big one for your uncle this year.

Tzone, congrats to you too, I'm sick thinking i'll be missing hunting and the camp tradition in Northern, Pa. First time in many moons...........Where I'm at in North Dakota the deer hunting sucks ass, plus I hear they taste like [bleep] here anyways from the mostly sage diet. I'm hoping to get over to the Tuttle mts. Area to hunt some ruffed grouse and look for a deer hunting spot or twenty. Never been to tuttles, but after talking to a Chippewa this week while he was installing my WiFi sounds like that's where I need to go for whitetails and ruff.

Tight chains.

A=A

The perfection of life with a gun dog, like the perfection of an Autumn, is disturbing because you know, even as it begins, that it must end. Time bestows the gift and steals it in the process. "George Bird Evans"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Awesome! Way to go Joe! you've sure grown to be a fine hunter, congrats to the both of you on an awesome hunt!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Awesome job guys!!!!!

Now that Joe got that out of the way, he can begin to concentrate on hard water fishing. 24* here this morning & I'm into full Fall/Winter mode!

Bruuuppp bruuuppp. Here fishy fishy fishy!

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awesome Joe! I hope to hear all about it soon! We sure have to look out for a lot of critters now! The Squrtle cracks me up.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Snapping squrtles are the worst. They are minions of the swamp squid.

Something clever here.

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Way to go Joey!! And guide!!

Nice doe.... Swifts rock!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Yesterday was the first day of our firearms deer hunt for youth hunters, an early season for kids.

I worked till 3,then Joey and I piled into the truck with a 220 swift and a 410 shotgun. (Shotgun was for birds on our way out to the hunting spot.)

We got out to camp chickenbuck around 4pm. We got up into Pam's enclosed deer stand and sat there drinking our waters and eating little 3 musketeer bars. We skipped into a silly imagination session where we joked about a "Rhino-roo" which is a 2300 lb rhino on kangaroo legs, very noisy sweaty animals, heavy breathers.... Loud jumpers.

Also flying "squrtles" which is a squirrel turtle. Turtle shell with squirrel head and legs, tries to fly and glide from tree to tree, not good at it though.

Then, the wind calmed a bit, 6:40 PM. I told Joe, "OK, lets quiet down now, we've got a real good chance here in these next 15 minutes.

6:55, Joe spots a nice doe straight ahead, 80 yds. He went into buck fever mode... Lol! It was awesome. I whispered "I'm going to help you buddy, OK?"

His eyes were huge, locked on target, he nodded his head yes. I helped with a guiding hand to slowly and smoothly lay the rifle barel out the stand window without clonking on anything. I clicked his safety off as he was taking aim. "Do you see it Joe?" He nodded yes, I told him go ahead if you've got a nice shot. BOOOM!

Hahaha!

Straight down!

Little 50 grain JSP .224 bullet from the 220 swift found its mark.

Nice clean hunt, nice assist from Joe on the field dress, just perfect. I was showing him stuff as we did the field dressing. Asked him if he wanted to bring the heart home. "Heck yeah" he says.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Awesome work from the Preacher, @ 220 decibels, he did smite the mighty fuzzy wind chime, soon to be freezer pleaser, along with a healthy assist from his bestest partner, Northern Dad !!

Got clean computer screen now, due to "RhinoRoo" !

cool

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Being from Ontario, I expect you know what a bull moose sounds like when plowing it's way through something thick like a tag swamp or new growth poplar.

That my friend, is nothing compared to the commotion of a fork bull rhinoroo traveling through the woods. They are NOT sneaky, they don't need to be.

grin

Fuzzy wind chime.

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Snapping squrtles are the worst. They are minions of the swamp squid.

They must be a close relative of the Georgia mud squid:

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
There's no doubt about it.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice job guys! Simply awesome. Those first deer are so special both to the hunter and the dad! Pretty cool to say you are going to have Joey's deer for supper tonight.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
This is actually his second deer, he scored last year from the same stand during youth season.

Something clever here.

Page 1,529 of 1,842 1 2 1527 1528 1529 1530 1531 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 1234, 12344mag, 219DW, 1OntarioJim, 49 invisible), 2,245 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,134
Posts18,483,931
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.