Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
320 then 400 is as fine as a chamber should be. Finer is the same as lube, no grip.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
GB1

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
That's what I've been told, and this barrel makes me agree. Have you had personal experience with a chamber that's too fine, and if so, what did it do?

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If the chamber is plated or coated with a finish which provides some lubricity (not sure that's a real word), the case will certainly fail to grip the chamber walls, just as if it were oiled. I do not think this truly affects bolt thrust, however, unless deflection of the bolt is sufficient to stretch the brass.
For those who think a high polish is just the same as lube, make a sizing die of 416 stainless and polish it to a mirror finish inside. Shove a fired case into it and see how solidly it sticks. A polished surface is nothing like a lubricant.
If the rifle and ammo have some head clearance and the chamber is lubed, whether with oil or a coating, the case head will be deformed because it contacts the breech with some velocity. This is not increased bolt thrust but the deformation of the case head is the result of energy transfer due to the velocity at which the case moves back. GD

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Once again, what does the chronograph say? If you are magically getting a free 200fps......

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Yondering

The velocity readings are right in line with what the manufacturer says for the powder charge, and primers are well rounded too. The only thing wrong is the brass flow, at ~2gr and ~200 fps below what the manufacturer says is max.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
People state on here that there no bolt thust as the case grips the chamber wall. If that is the case why did TC never chamber there contender for cartridge like 243, 308, 7mm08, ect, they had to use a stronger encode frame. I know from experience when chambering a 700 action for 30-378 and 338-378 the action went out of head space after 200 to 300 rounds

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by gemby58
People state on here that there no bolt thust as the case grips the chamber wall.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Yondering
Originally Posted by gemby58
People state on here that there no bolt thust as the case grips the chamber wall.

I don't think anyone is saying that.

Oh ok then what are they saying you can't tell me that if you polish the chamber wall smooth as a piece of glass that is
t doesn't increase bolt thrust

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
I started the thread asking if anyone had first hand experience (not theories!) of increased bolt thrust with a polished or slick chamber. I don't think anyone was suggesting there could be a situation with no bolt thrust at all.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Got ya. I don't polish chambers not to cause bolt thrust

IC B3

Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Sorry, I'm having trouble following the double negatives in your sentences; not sure what you mean by that last one.

Do you mean that you don't polish chambers, because you don't want to cause increased bolt thrust?

Last edited by Yondering; 10/21/15.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I don't polish

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by swarf
Someplace on the web someone did a study.

Try 6mmBr, or one of the other accuracy forums. I think he even proved that a near mirror finish to be better. So, play with your search engines.

It might have even been in the old Precision Shooting magazine, and not on the web.

I have not near the experience of Graydog, but I stand with his opinion on this issue.

This may be the Experiment with chamber finish you refer to.

http://varmintal.com/a243z.htm

Very few perhaps no one may have experience with your exact circumstances. Polished Melonite chamber finish really reduces the number of folks with same experience. I would buy into the theory that the polished Melonite finish will simulate a lubricated bore. Friction coefficient changes significantly with the polished SBN treated steel as I understand the process.

Any Idea How much head space you are starting off with b4 fire forming the brass in question? Or are you experiencing the same flow issues with fire formed & neck sized brass.
I am no expert on the situation at hand yet I fear you really are pushing the pressure limits in this case . I will be interested in seeing what more is learned with this delima.

Stay Safe!

Last edited by Hunterapp; 11/02/15.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Y
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Y
Thanks for the link.

Headspace was .002"-.004", although I also tried partial sizing (not bumping the shoulder) and crush fit on the fireformed brass.

The only thing that made the brass flow go away was firing the cases 5+ times at lower loads, then they would handle the manufacturers loads with no brass flow. When I sent it back to the manufacturer, he tested the barrel with his own brass (which had been fired multiple times too) and proclaimed it OK.

Seems to me the brass work hardening masked any issues with the barrel, but he disagreed.

Doesn't matter now, when I got the barrel back I found he'd "polished" the chamber and somehow left a sharp lip in the neck, cutting through the melonite on one side. Sent it back a second time and was finally able to get a refund.

I'll be making a new barrel for myself in another version of this same wildcat, but with the shoulder bumped forward a little. No melonite treatment or slick polished chamber this time though, we'll see how it works.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 52 invisible), 2,628 guests, and 1,325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,403
Posts18,527,970
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.