24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hi guys, Im new here and have been on a quest to find info and solve common problems with modernising my 1918 Enfield banger. I've solved many problems on the way, and would like to offer some solutions, as well as hear from others who love this old school calibre as much as I do...

I've got a 1918 No.1 Mk3, Parker Hale conversion to sporter, which my dad bought for me in 1990 and was still in the box with grease in the barrel. Grease had gone hard and he had to carefully warm the barrel and the grease came out in one solid core! Obviously a marvellous example in great condition. But since I'm not a die hard traditional enthusiast or collector, I have made many modern alterations as of late:

Starting with a surprisingly inexpensive ATI technologies, polymer, Monte Carlo style stock which is specifically made for No.1 Mk3, (also available for No.4). It came with a solid plastic butt plate that I replaced with a "Limb saver" rubber butt pad, that is actually made for a Ruger M44. Perfect fit! That has made a massive difference to felt recoil, and therefore accuracy. And the "Monte Carlo" style shape is SOOOO much of a relief, especially while shooting prone at the range! The stock is so well made to fit, that it went straight on out of the box and tightened up for as perfect a fit as you could hope for in terms of remaining true to the Enfields design for barrel harmonics. Its arguably a far better bedding around the receiver, and therefore better harmonics than the original design.

Currently Im having a muzzle brake fitted (my particular boom stick has 12mm of barrel remaining for threading, forward of the original front sight), and that will reduce recoil and muzzle jump a huge amount, bringing my groupings down even further at extended range. Im having it completely reblued in the process. A good quality bipod is also being thrown at it, and can be removed easily depending on where and how I'm hunting.

On top Ive got a Bushnell XLT Trophy with "DOA" reticle, which matches perfectly to the 150g .303 trajectory: sighted in and zeroed at 100y, still pretty much dead on at 200y (maybe an inch high at worst), 2nd DOA dot below cross hairs is dead on at 300y, and top of the "post" below DOA dots is dead on at 500y. Keeping in mind that since the barrel and rifling is a pretty good example, windage issues often accredited to worn out Enfields simply doesn't apply.

I did have issues re-scoping it, due to a common problem with matching rings to the Parker Hale base, which is pretty oddball compared to the more common and modern Weaver style bases. Those facing this issue understand that Parker Hale rings are VERY hard to come by!!! The issue I had, is the old scope I had on there was much narrower and shorter, and when I upgraded the scope, I found that the bolt head on the Enfield which needs to be in the up position to enter and slide forward into the action, simply wouldn't fit under the wider, deeper circumference of the new scope. So, I had to find new, higher rings that would fit the Parker Hale base. (I didn't want the expense of getting a gunsmith to remove old base and buying/fitting a new Weaver style base). With a bit of looking around and fluffing about at my local hunting shops, I found a perfect fit! Warne rings for CZ/Brno fit perfectly! With the only downfall being that the Warne rings don't have the locator lug under the rear ring, which Parker Hale integrated into their design to stop "scope slide" under recoil. The Warne rings for CZ/Brno do have a side locator lug specific to the rear of the CZ/Brno scope mounts, and I simply had to put the rear ring on the front and the front ring on the rear, since it wouldn't go on the rear of the Parker Hale base with the CZ/Brno specific locator lug. But it did tighten up perfectly, and with probably 200+ rounds spent at the range since, I've had no issues what so ever from scope slide under recoil. Very happy!

I hunt red deer in New Zealand, and with my rifle set up as it is, I'm confident at kill shots up to 500y, even with 150g factory loads.

I'm now about to make the step towards my own reloading, that I have researched well to this point.

I'm keen to hear from any and all in regards to modernising old Enfields!!!

Last edited by KiwiHunterTimmy; 10/09/15.

.303 British has shot more deer in New Zealand than any other calibre, by a country mile, (and then some!)
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the forum. I see you are from a commonwealth country in New Zealand so it is not surprising you like the good old 303 British.

I have our old farm gun which not surprisingly is a No 4 Mk 1 made in 1942. A few years ago I wanted to scope it in order to take out a young guy hunting from our church. I put on an ATI scope mount which worked other than the fact the comb of the stock was far too low to use it properly. I then bought an ATI fiberglass stock just like yours and in an afternoon fitted it quite easily to the stock. It worked great smile

The Lee Enfield's in 303 British can be surprisingly accurate.

Before.......
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is what it looks like now minus the scope in this picture.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I need to get some better pictures about how it turned out but I was happy with how everything turned out.

Gerry.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Welcome to the campfire. I don't reload the .303 cartridge but have read some great reloading tips for the cartridge. The Enfields are great rifles. Hunt hard and hunt safe. Dave

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.