Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I had posted my tail gate bench rest on other threads. The tailgate wire kept getting in the way, so I built second generation model. This one extends beyond the support wire and is much more comfortable. It's also long enough to support a free standing Magnetospeed chrono without having to hang it on the barrel.

Early one:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Latest version:
Sacks of deer corn headed for the camp. I posed this photo, it's not set it up to shoot. Will do that later.
5/8" plywood, 3/4" would have been too heavy, IMO.

[Linked Image]

By screwing and gluing the 2x2 braces to the 2x2 front piece, the overhang is fairly stiff and stable. The plywood is wide enough to cover the gap between the tailgate and truck bed. Rounds kept falling thru, no more.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks nice. Is it loud with the reverb of the shot coming off the truck cab?

Regards,

Tom
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks good. I really like engineuity.

A friend of mine fired his STW which has a muzzle brake from his tailgate. It just so happened the brake was even with the taillight. Not only was the red taillight lens destroyed, the bulb and the reflector behind that was destroyed!

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
Looks good. I really like engineuity.

A friend of mine fired his STW which has a muzzle brake from his tailgate. It just so happened the brake was even with the taillight. Not only was the red taillight lens destroyed, the bulb and the reflector behind that was destroyed!

laugh

I once had a Dodge/Mitsubishi P/U. I had my bench set up next to it and was shooting a 7RM. The left front hub cap fell off from the side blast. It must not have been put on that tight.

There is no noticeable increase in sound from the cab. With the old set up, the bed would catch rounds from autoloaders. With this set up, I'm not sure if the gun will be positioned forward enough for that to happen, or if they'll fly over the side of the bed. Yet to try it out.

The taillight is far enough forward from the muzzle, hopefully, to be protected from the blast. I do shoot a 26 Nos, which makes quite a fuss. In fact the rifle shown with the new set up is a 26 Nos I just bedded in a B&C Medalist for my hunting bud. It is a very early '60's vintage M-700, was a 7RM, now wears a 26" Shilen Match tube.

I have a .300 WM with a brake. It tends to scatter stuff left near the muzzle. I had a sheet of load data lying too close. It was shattered by the .300 brake.

DF

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Very nice!

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
This is what I built about six or seven years ago.

I can only shoot to 150 yds on my property. But it is only a three mile drive to the BLM where I can get out to 700 yds, or a 1000 yds and beyond should I wish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I originally designed it to be used from the sitting position. I have since redesigned the stinger portion to allow the bench to be adjusted from a sitting position, up to where a six foot tall individual can easily shoot from the standing position.

I actually prefer to use it from the standing position for shooting ground squirrels or targets.

I add a couple of light duty ratchet straps from the bench up to the stake pockets of the truck to take out the bounce while transporting, and increase stability while shooting.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I like that, especially the high/low option.

The high, standing position is preferred when shooting big boomers. Those guns will beat you up, shot from conventional sitting position. Standing lets your body absorb the recoil better.

I agree with Ringman, I like innovation... smile

DF

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Nice units but watch where you use them. I think this would still be considered "shooting from a vehicle". Muddy

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by muddy22
Nice units but watch where you use them. I think this would still be considered "shooting from a vehicle". Muddy

I don't use mine to shoot critters, just targets and on private land, not near any roadway.

So, I think it's OK in that regard.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cool! You guys are smart! Who knew!!

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by passport
Cool! You guys are smart! Who knew!!

laugh

Surprised...?

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
This is what I built about six or seven years ago.

I can only shoot to 150 yds on my property. But it is only a three mile drive to the BLM where I can get out to 700 yds, or a 1000 yds and beyond should I wish.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I originally designed it to be used from the sitting position. I have since redesigned the stinger portion to allow the bench to be adjusted from a sitting position, up to where a six foot tall individual can easily shoot from the standing position.

I actually prefer to use it from the standing position for shooting ground squirrels or targets.

I add a couple of light duty ratchet straps from the bench up to the stake pockets of the truck to take out the bounce while transporting, and increase stability while shooting.

Just realized why your extension is that long, clears the lowered tailgate perfectly... cool

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great ideas! Thanks for posting these photos.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by muddy22

It's only illegal if you get caught... blush

DF

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

[Linked Image]

Just realized why your extension is that long, clears the lowered tailgate perfectly... cool

DF
The dimensions are such that it may be used from right or left positions. Turned around to shoot the other direction, it sits up close to the tailgate.

But, yes, the way it sits in the photo allows the tailgate to be used for an ammo rack or to sit a spotter.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but in Idaho it is perfectly legal to shoot from the vehicle in non-hunting scenarios.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Looks good DF.

I shoot off my tailgate quite frequently w/o plywood, but it is rhino lined. I do park at a slight angle for comfort. It works quite well for paper punching on gas line ROWs around here when one wants to stretch out a bit.

I have a portable shooting bench I use at times, but the truck is more stable for precision as long as it's not windy and no one else is touching the vehicle.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I also have a very nice shooting bench, it even has a set of long legs for standing use with big bores.

The tailgate bench is lot faster and easier to set up and is long enough to accommodate the free standing Magnetospeed.

DF

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
cool setup, where did you get the magnetic rifle holder?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
D
On line somewhere; I can't remember.

Do a word search on line.

Letting guns cool, open bolt in upright position, seems to work well and pretty fast.

DF

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
tagging this thread

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (14idaho, 907brass, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 308xray, 11 invisible), 1,494 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,723
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.