S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by teal
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Use a decent quality crude & even better quality oil filter.

-Ken

Its that simple. Any oil that meets API specs is going to have detergents that will prevent "sludge" unless you just run it into the ground....more so the synthetics. No BS products or potions required. The filter is the weak link so change it when you change oil. I've never used anything but oil and never had any problems with "sludge".

The above is my opinion. Obviously not everyone agrees because auto parts places sell plenty of products for "flushing" engines.

I can see a need for such things tho - not everyone owns and maintains a vehicle from new. Sometimes you buy used and just don't KNOW what's been done.

exactly, I bought a little 2wd nissan to motor around in from a friend who needed a suv for his family. it needed a little tlc. he got it at 160k, i got it at 210k. since he had it he ran valvoline 5w30 synpower. it needs a timing chain so I pull the thing apart,, it has a little sludge and I want that stuff out of there. I will flush it and run diesel oil in it cause it has lots of cleaners.

I had been told run 3 quarts oil and 1 quart diesel till it reaches operating temp then drain. But I didn't know if this was safe or not. seems many here have been doing it so I'm gonna try it.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by CCCC
Is that why we see so many Swift trucks broke down on the side of the road?

They haven't used it for years but when you have 20,000 trucks in your fleet, a very small percentage is still a lot of trucks!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
A local truck stop got fined big time for dumping there used oil back into there diesel tanks. A disgruntled worker turned them in or they would still be doing it. All the diesel experts said it wouldn't hurt a thing as long as it was diluted real good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by seal_billy
Anybody use one of those engine flush products? Auto's or marvels mystery oil, gunk en h inexpensive flush any of those?

I have the hottest thing since sliced bread;

Cerma Lube.

It will clean up your engine in jig time.

It has been vetted and proven with very credible references;

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

I have the full complement of products sitting in my desk now.
BIG order just received.

Last edited by William_E_Tibbe; 10/14/15.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

-Ken

Its that simple. Any oil that meets API specs is going to have detergents that will prevent "sludge" unless you just run it into the ground....more so the synthetics. No BS products or potions required. The filter is the weak link so change it when you change oil. I've never used anything but oil and never had any problems with "sludge".

The above is my opinion. Obviously not everyone agrees because auto parts places sell plenty of products for "flushing" engines.

I can see a need for such things tho - not everyone owns and maintains a vehicle from new. Sometimes you buy used and just don't KNOW what's been done.

exactly, I bought a little 2wd nissan to motor around in from a friend who needed a suv for his family. it needed a little tlc. he got it at 160k, i got it at 210k. since he had it he ran valvoline 5w30 synpower. it needs a timing chain so I pull the thing apart,, it has a little sludge and I want that stuff out of there. I will flush it and run diesel oil in it cause it has lots of cleaners.

I had been told run 3 quarts oil and 1 quart diesel till it reaches operating temp then drain. But I didn't know if this was safe or not. seems many here have been doing it so I'm gonna try it.

If you are doing the timing chain it is simple and quick to pull the oil pan and oil pump screen and do it right. No need to run crap through it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just use synthetic oil on rigs I want to keep.

it helps here in our cold weather that you get oil pressure faster with synthetics anyway.

I'll use Seafoam in the gas to clean injectors and such.

in my lil car that sets all winter, I pull each plug and put a couple of tablespoons of Marvel mystery oil down the plug hole to grease er down.

everything's still runnin, well at last look

one of the chicks at work asked me other day. "how many rigs you and your wife have anyway?"

I guess 7

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by William_E_Tibbe
Anybody use one of those engine flush products? Auto's or marvels mystery oil, gunk en h inexpensive flush any of those?

Cerma Lube.

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

BIG order just received.

Stuff looks interesting. Pricey though.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Cerma Lube.

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

BIG order just received.

William:

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this stuff before, but I just bought a bunch from their website. Sounds like the real deal. We'll see. The idea of a 30K oil change interval appeals to me. Gonna try it. crazy

Thanks,

Jordan

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by RobJordan

Cerma Lube.

CERMA STM 3

James J. McGrath
North Haven, Connecticut

www.Cermalube.com

203-376-1152.

BIG order just received.

William:

Thanks for the tip. Never heard of this stuff before, but I just bought a bunch from their website. Sounds like the real deal. We'll see. The idea of a 30K oil change interval appeals to me. Gonna try it. crazy

Thanks,

Jordan

Your $hitting me!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

-Ken

I never was much of a fan of engine &/or transmission flushing procedures.

Buy good quality crude & better oil filter. Change oil every 750-1000 miles for 2-3 times and try driving highway speeds as much as possible during this interval. This is a little hint which is safer for the system & will also help clean the engine. wink

-Ken

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
This.....If I have a engine that is dirty I put in a Gallon of diesel and idle the engine for about 15 min!!!! do not race engine or drive with the diesel in there...change oil with the cheapest multi grade oil and filter you can find and drive it a couple of Hundred and change again...Clean as a whistle!!! been doing it for years..It will free up rings and clean out lifters. I have Had engines that were visibly smoking stop smoking after this treatment.

Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Originally Posted by stevelyn
A cup of diesel added to the crankcase and idle for a couple minutes before draining.

Yup,
Though I lean towards about 1/2 and half.... nary a problem with anything plugging or otherwise screwing up over more than 50 years.

No clue as to how these new computerized, "sensor" equipped scams on wheels react to that,...I don't mess with em'

GTC

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have drained an added diesel,idled drained and put in the new oil/filter......One time ....once..... I did the same ,but near as we could tell ... Cleaned it and a piece of crud found its way to a bearing on the crank...good bye motor...

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by atvalaska
I have drained an added diesel,idled drained and put in the new oil/filter......One time ....once..... I did the same ,but near as we could tell ... Cleaned it and a piece of crud found its way to a bearing on the crank...good bye motor...

Read my last post.

I have done thousands and thousands of oil changes personally & was responsible for tens of thousands more. And that was just a small part of my job, the easy part. grin

-Ken

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Swift used it as an alternative to paying for someone to haul it away, and to increase economy. All of the major trucking companies have used some sort of blended fuel.

No, it's not a reason to break down. Swift had a very elaborate commercial filtration system for using old motor oil.

When I worked for Southern Pacific Railroad, they used blended fuels too. I purchased it by the rail tanker to operate diesel powered equipment such as bull dozer's etc.

And Yes, Dennis is correct... It was an EPA issue and going green for not using blended fuels anymore.

Swift, having 25,000+ trucks on the road is at the forefront of seeking out alternatives for increasing fuel economy, and decreasing engine wear. I've been involved in a few of these test's myself.

Because of Swift's size, we have had vendors from all over the globe come to us for fleet testing of their products. Some are successful, some are not. Some are too cost prohibitive at this time.

Anyway, just food for thought.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I spoke to the guy that owns the shop down the street and he said when he worked for a dealership they used diesel in the oil for a flush quite often. Anothe mechanic that works at the nissan dealership that is a friend of mine said the same thing. both said it wouldn't hurt a thing just do it with heavier oil so the diesel doesn't thin the oil down to much.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (2500HD, 1badf350, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 222ND, 222Sako, 219DW, 71 invisible), 2,972 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,682
Posts18,534,322
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.