BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanx 99savage308:
<br>
<br>(can i call you 99/308?--LOL).
<br>
<br>The 99Cs were manufactured during the "modernization" movement that swept over much of American manufacturing. I think that Savage made all the right choices (as opposed to what Winchester did in 1964) in bringing out the 99c. The calibers chosen were very solid performers. The "clip" was far less expensive to produce without compromising performance in the field. And the tang safety is simply better under (at least for me) under feild conditions.
<br>
<br>I know collectors scream when craftsmanship, fit, and finish are sacrificed in order to sell merchandise. I love the classic stuff too. (heck I even write with a fountain pen).
<br>
<br>But, in my mind, these items are still tools. Every tool has to perform its job. And, as a tool, I have to be prepared to subject it to wear and tear. Personally, I could not subject a collectible 99 to field conditions. To me, once an item gets collectible, it changes from a tool into an asset.
<br>
<br>Finally, I just love my 99C. Its the right gun for me.
<br>
<br>All my best,
<br>
<br>BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
GB1

I use my 99-E in 308. I take a back up, a Model 99 Savage in 300 Savage. All the extra care taken for correct head spacing. I have found that manufactured foder is too long. I use 165 grain pills for the projectile in all my 30 caliber rifles.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
BMT,
<br>
<br>re: 99/308 (lol)
<br>
<br>hey,
<br>
<br>i purchased my 99c approx. 3 years ago,NIB, the thing was beauitful. this savage had that thing called, love writen all over it. she came to shoulder like we had been ment for each other. i did the old shoulder with the eyes closed and upon the monent of eye opening there it was ,perfect sight picture and she had that feel of a fine woman. SMOOOTH. the new savage 99's are a thing of beauty. this lady had hand cut checkering, beautiful wood, fit and finish was..... SWEET. the .308 is what she handles and handle she does, like a lady. the safety is in the right place and that removeable clip, one can't even tell it is there,as far as unsightly lines,who can tell. hell, some of the so called better bolt action rifles have removeable clips. she likes winchester- western 150 gr. ammo. put the target at 100 yards, line her up and she will talk sweetly, as in one inch groups;with open sights. life is good and this lady takes care of the business of bringing home the deer. she did her job that following deer season ...smiles everywhere. one shot one deer enough said.
<br>
<br>i had a name for her the day i meet her, KATE. took her home and let the rest of 99' family meet her.all is good we have a close knit 99 family here.
<br>
<br>well that is it ,
<br>
<br>99savage308 aka 99/308
<br>,

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My new .358 savage 99 has no collector value since the barrel has been shortened and recrowned and I refinished the stock. On the other hand, it has become my favorite deer rifle. It's quickly racking up the kills on the Georgia deer population.
<br>
<br>[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Good shooting, Weagle

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
weagle,
<br>
<br>that is some good sized deer. that savage 358 has done the job.
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>99savage308
<br>,

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

.."There are only two things in life worth having. A woman from anywhere and a fine Swiss watch."..
IC B2

L
L
I'm using my 57' 99 in 250-3000 with Leupold 2-7X and 120 grain Nosler Partions.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My most used 99 is a pre mil 99F in 300.It has some wear and tear, but shoots really good. It was also my first savage purchase, so its kinda special. It shoots 150 gr.Horn. SSTs with 43 grs of Rx 12 for about 2550 fps . I have a couple of real nice Fs and I don't want to take them out anymore. I think I just found another sweetie though , I just picked up a transition 99E in 308,and can't wait to shoot it. I don't think I'll have it ready for Dec. 2.,but I'm gonna try.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Weagle:
<br>
<br>You are a lucky man. I really have been looking for a short barrelled 358. I have seen some 243s that have had the stock "chopped down" to fit a smaller shooter. I am about ready to buy one and have it rebarrelled in 358. A nice 20 1/2 inch barrel with a new stock that is fit for my long arms would be a sweet brush/pig/elk gun.
<br>
<br>99/308:
<br> It sounds like you are a little "too close" to that rifle (LOL).
<br>
<br>I have settled on 165 grain bullets for mine. One "do it all" round per rifle is my philosophy. Does yours shoot 180 grainers well? Mine spreads 180 grain Partitions all over the paper at 100 yards.
<br>
<br>BMT
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>99/308

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
bmt,
<br>
<br>re:" too close "
<br>
<br>well, let me see here now. "too close" ? naw, i teats 'em likes they are my harem. each 99 has her own ways about 'em. makes life better. each time i target shoot or hunt with one of these fine ladies, my life is blessed. i had Joanie out today. she is the EG model in .300 savage form. oh, she shoots those 150 and 180 pills very nicely, thank you. she likes the 180's better; so i don't say anything. what Joanie wants, Joanie gets.
<br>
<br>the .308's in 180 gr you were asking 'bout : i have not tried those. hmmm, might have to, maybe. but i will have to tell you. Kate is very picky with her ammo. i think if i talk to her real nice, she will allow me to purchase her that new box of ammo.
<br>
<br>keep your powder dry.
<br>
<br>weagle,
<br>
<br>hey man, you must be shooting a thunder stick that .358 you using. i have been looking for a 99 in short barrel form like a 20" .300 sav. of course if i find anything 99 in short form i would be happy.
<br>
<br>good hunting,weagle.
<br>
<br>
<br>99savage308/ aka 99/308
<br>,

99savage308

..NRA Life Member ..

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
99/308:
<br>
<br>Thanx for the information. I assumed that my rifle would not shoot the 180s. Maybe I will try the 180 grain silvertips.
<br>
<br>BMT

IC B3

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bearrr264:
<br>
<br>I assume that you did not find my "dream rifle" (a short barrelled 358 Win). I am thinking about re-barrelling a 99 in 243 or 308 for this round. Has anyone tried it?
<br>
<br>I am always on the lookout for 99 that has been "Bubba'd" and that needs to be restored to an honorable condition. I would not want to "Bubba" a 99 that had coillector value.
<br>
<br>Thanx again or the offer Bearr264.
<br>
<br>BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BMT,
<br>
<br>My business trip to New England was quite short and focussed mostly on business and visiting my aging mother in northern VT.
<br>
<br>The business portion is still in a discussion mode and we could have done all that we did over the telephone. The mother portion was nice, but I wish that she'd move to a warmer, less dreary, local for the winter months.
<br>
<br>I only went to two (2) gun shops and didn't see any .358 rifles at all, nor did I see any Models 99 that were worthy of consideration.
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Bearrr264:
<br>
<br>Well, it seems to me you got your priorities straight, Mom, then business, then 99s.
<br>
<br>Merry Christmas.
<br>
<br>
<br>BMT

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BMT,
<br>
<br>Business paid for the trip, so it had to come first. My mother has become very independant since my father's passing. Her move from southern CT to the "summer place" in northern VT was a surprise to me, I didn't think that she would like the winters, but she has adapted well to her new home state. I believe that she likes almost everything about VT, except for the taxes and the gay marriages.
<br>
<br>If I could just train her to find interesting rifles for me during her travels around the countryside, she be the perfect mom!
<br>
<br>Sincerely,
<br>
<br>Bearrr264

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 56 invisible), 3,839 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,703
Posts18,534,741
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.