Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
A Glock 17 would end up mostly in the glove-box now; having a gun actually on you is the 1st rule of gunfighting.
Bob
This attitude always baffles me. I've mostly conceal-carried service sized handguns over the last fifteen years or so (before that I was into pocket sized guns, mostly, for carry), and in the last couple of months, it's been a Glock 17. It's an absolute pleasure to carry, and only prints a bit when I thoughtlessly lean forward or squat to reach for something, but even a J-Frame prints under those circumstances.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
My Step-mother has my Dad's Mod 10 that I will get some day in the hopefully distant future.

Good shooting guns.

Mike
That they are. Only revolver I shoot better double action is a Colt Official Police, but then that's a good bit bigger in proportions and heavier.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is something inherently appealing, maybe even visually comforting, about the cylinder turning and the feel of the lockwork, of a good revolver. The Freedom Arms come to mind; they feel almost like a 3 lb Swiss watch. A good tight SAA is also an inherently appealing gun. K frame Smiths, and 5" N frames come to mind, as well.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by RGK
A Glock 17 would end up mostly in the glove-box now; having a gun actually on you is the 1st rule of gunfighting.
Bob
This attitude always baffles me. I've mostly conceal-carried service sized handguns over the last fifteen years or so (before that I was into pocket sized guns, mostly, for carry), and in the last couple of months, it's been a Glock 17. It's an absolute pleasure to carry, and only prints a bit when I thoughtlessly lean forward or squat to reach for something, but even a J-Frame prints under those circumstances.

Let's see if I can un-baffle you. Just like in the Army, you tailor the weapon and equipment to the mission at hand. Deep undercover work requires a VERY small handgun, hidden well. Believe me, you'll easily be spotted with a service-type pistol. Especially in the summer months. Since I did it for a living, I got pretty good at it. A 2" revolver or at most, a 3913 9mm S&W (some guys carried them; I still thought it was too big) is about all you can get away with. No holster. No spare ammo. It's jammed into your back pocket, or taped to your inner thigh so it's missed on a security guard pat-down when you enter a border-brother bar.

You need to recognize the limitations (as well as the advantages) of the weapon you're working with and train around it, in the situations you'll use it in. A shooting will happen literally within bad-breath distance; mozambique drills and mag changes don't happen. Small guns and deep concealment have a place. Getting spotted can result in a gunfight (to be avoided if possible) or ruining a good narcotics transaction.

Dangerous, but it beats working uniformed patrol. And you get to eat wherever you want during your tour.

Now that I'm retired, I carry the same handgun I did at work. A familiar J-frame and a speed strip is all I need. Carried in my old waistband holster, it's never been spotted, even under a T-shirt. It got me through 24+ years in LA, so I think it'll do in the small town I now live in.

I don't carry a full-size pistol, 3 spare mags, a flashlight and two tac knives. I also don't sit facing the door when I eat at the local IHOP, glaring at customers while planning a gunbattle after my short-stack. Maybe I'm too lax, but I'm still here. I must confess that I have upgraded somewhat, though...with all the ISIS-related threats, I have decided to carry two speed strips. Should be enough.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 10/15/15.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
RGK, I was referring to your assumption that if one chose a Glock 17, it would end up in the glove compartment a good percentage of the time. Where it's legal for me to carry, I'm carrying my regular EDC. The only rare exception would be for something like a dentist visit, where someone is going to be right next to me for an extended period while I'm seated. In that case, I generally find something that prints less to carry, typically a pocket sized gun, but those cases are extremely rare.

IC B2

R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
RGK, I was referring to your assumption that if one chose a Glock 17, it would end up in the glove compartment a good percentage of the time. Where it's legal for me to carry, I'm carrying my regular EDC. The only rare exception would be for something like a dentist visit, where someone is going to be right next to me for an extended period while I'm seated. In that case, I generally find something that prints less to carry, typically a pocket sized gun, but those cases are extremely rare.

Glad to know that you're well-protected.
Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RGK
Now that I'm retired, I carry the same handgun I did at work. A familiar J-frame and a speed strip is all I need. Carried in my old waistband holster, it's never been spotted, even under a T-shirt. It got me through 24+ years in LA, so I think it'll do in the small town I now live in.

I don't carry a full-size pistol (though I own a bunch), 3 spare mags, a flashlight and two tac knives. I also don't sit facing the door when I eat at the local IHOP, glaring at customers while planning a gunbattle after finishing my short-stack. Maybe I'm too lax, but I'm still here. I must confess that I have upgraded somewhat, though...with all the ISIS-related threats, I have decided to carry two speed strips. Should be enough.

[Linked Image]

Reference your “Revolvers Still Rules”, Though I’ve past my retirement, I’ve yet to retire and am still active. I began with issued revolvers and have lived through the transition to the semi-autos and all the differing theories of fast light bullets vs. slow heavy bullets. In ‘96, due to a policy change, I retired a previously carried UC pistol for the then “new and improved” J-frame in a short barrel package to carry concealed. I’ve used this pistol ever since, and even today, it is my single favorite “one size fits all” conceal carry pistol for most any situation, from suit and tie to swim trunks. Because I did not retire, I am now going through a semi-auto transition for a conceal carry pistol, being a G43. Excellent pistol, but it has taken much work to develop muscle memory along the lines of the J-frame. No question, when shooting difficult drills, executing either tactical or retention reloads, or just keeping the gun hot during a drawn out engagement, that new G43 does get more rounds down range in a faster time than the old J-frame. But, the J-frame, for whatever reason, always feels just right to me, and I am always comfortable when I have this pistol on my person.

later

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like seeing pictures of rigs like this showing years of actual wear. So many photos of someone's "favorite" holster show something brand new or barely worn.

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
I like seeing pictures of rigs like this showing years of actual wear. So many photos of someone's "favorite" holster show something brand new or barely worn.

[Linked Image]

Thanks; I do too. I got this holster on probation. Vic Perez made it for me in his garage in Burbank, CA. I still use it daily. When I'm in CA later this month I might have Vic make me another.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 10/15/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Preferences will always exist. If I had to give up all but one type of handgun, I would stick with the Colt SAA.

Law enforcement doesn't always pick a weapon on the merits of the gun alone. I've always marveled at how many LEO are not proficient with their sidearm.

Around here, any competitive shooting matches are always won by non-LEO shooters. This is not a criticism but an observation...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

R
RGK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Preferences will always exist. If I had to give up all but one type of handgun, I would stick with the Colt SAA.

Law enforcement doesn't always pick a weapon on the merits of the gun alone. I've always marveled at how many LEO are not proficient with their sidearm.

Around here, any competitive shooting matches are always won by non-LEO shooters. This is not a criticism but an observation...

I also have a weakness for Colt SAAs...

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I have long been a fan of the J frame. They definitely have some drawbacks, as they are not easy to shoot well, sights are abysmal, and slow to reload.

With that said, they are very easy to carry and conceal. Every day at work I run one in the front pocket of my non dominant (left)side. One reason for this is if I am struggling to maintain control of my primary handgun, I can deploy the J frame from the off side and end the weapon retention struggle with a close quarters shot.

I "semi-jokingly" call it my ear nose throat gun, because those are the places I will try to stick it into prior to pulling the trigger.

I have practiced this (dry firing) while doing ground fighting and grappling, and I have found this method easier to retrieve the J frame than other methods such as attached to a ballistic vest.

Another reason for the off side carry is that when an unknown threat/threats approach me and I do not know their intent, I can slide my left hand into my pocket, and acquire a full firing grip. I keep my hand in my pocket until I determine that they are not a threat.

This not only gives an element of surprise, but prevents people from freaking out, versus having a full firing grip on my duty gun that is visible.

More often than not, the person approaching is not fully committed to an attack and does not require a gun being pointed at them, after receiving verbal commands, and being informed of consequences of further actions.

For these reasons, I really like the J frame and will continue to carry one as my second gun that is carried off side.

CHEERS

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
+1 to the above ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK

[Linked Image]

And yet, there are still people that prefer a Glock...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a 3 inch S&W J-frame .357 that I primarily shoot .38 Spl from, great little gun

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Mackay, do you have any kind of holster in you left hand pocket?? I often stick my J in a pants pocket, but felt it would quickly wear a hole in the pocket if I carried it that way all the time..

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Wyo,

I am required at work to have a pocket holster that covers the trigger guard, so I do. On my own time, I just slide it in my pocket.

While I have worn holes in more than a few jacket liners due to rough textured grips or sharp hammer serrations on belt guns, I have yet to wear a hole in a pants pocket due to the muzzle.

Hope that helps

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by RGK
This attitude always baffles me.

Let's see if I can un-baffle you.

No bet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Model 25-7

[Linked Image]

some more N frames

[Linked Image]

And a fairly new J frame

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RGK

[Linked Image]

I wanted a Colt New Frontier for years, and finally grabbed one of the 3rd Gen guns from the 1980's - a 5½" .44 Special just like Skeeter Skelton favored. But I was underwhelmed by it, and finally let it go. Years later I handled one of the USFA guns, and was surprised at how much better it felt. When they are tightly fitted, the SAA comes across much better.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,262
Posts18,486,476
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.