Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rick,

Suspected you might have misunderstood. But I probably should have also mentioned the scopes on their rifles were $75 specials.

I use the 2-shot sight-in a lot, along with the 1-shot scope check--as long as I know the rifle's level of accuracy.

In fact many years ago, before "turret" scopes were almost never heard of outside the military (reliable laser rangefinders hadn't yet appeared on the civilian market) my wife and I went to the range to check the scopes on the two New Ultra Light Arms rifles we planned to use on an upcoming hunt. Back then we sighted-in 2" high at 100, then checked the POI with the plex-type reticle out to several hundred yards, and actually killed big game consistently with that "primitive" method.

We already knew both rifles well, including their level of accuracy, and when Eileen touched off a shot at 100 yards I wasn't surprised to see a hole appear in the target 2" above point of aim. (In fact, that particlar rifle did essentially the same thing, every year, for nine years before the scope finally died.)

Then I sat down and shot once with my rifle, and the bullet hole cut hers. We decided we were good to go.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
knowing the plex has nailed game for me at lying distances....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Agree on the 2 shot sight in, as my uncle taught me that one over 30 years ago. MD, you mention of how the plex reticle subtends, and how to use it, which is how I grew up hunting with my 7mags out here in the wide open country I hunt.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
"So yes, it depends on what kind of shooter you are, but also on the level of accuracy required for what kind of shooting you plan on doing." hunting the neurotic coues deer here in az, i find myself always looking for more accuracy. they live in very rugged country, and are generally shot at quite a distance, and they are a small target. minute of whitetail is relative to the locale.

Last edited by roninflag; 10/23/15.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Agree on the 2 shot sight in, as my uncle taught me that one over 30 years ago. MD, you mention of how the plex reticle subtends, and how to use it, which is how I grew up hunting with my 7mags out here in the wide open country I hunt.

A 4X Leupold with Duplex,on top of a 300 or 7mm mag,and a 600 yard elk or mule deer is in deep trouble. wink

Not to say there aren't better ways of going about it today. smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
OLDOTTER

I sure do agree with your post. Perhaps we need to clarify a point. Many if not most of us worked very hard as younger men and did not have the time or resources to elevate our shooting skills.

I think certain factors bring us to where we are today.Without the property to shoot chucks today, I would have given up shooting years ago. The truth is, a very small percentage of the shooters have access.

Thus, if it were not for the target shooters, we would not have the ability to extend our shooting and increase our knowledge. Today, we have rifles and scopes along with a range finder, that allow us to make shots pin pointed to exactly where we want to hit.

When I take new shooters to shoot chucks with me, they quickly realize that 200 yards is very easy with a carefully sighted rifle. Ir ia so easy with a good rest, it almost feels like cheating.

My youngest son, who is 54, went with me this last season three times. One the first trip, he made chuck kills to 300+ yards and was hooked. On the last trip, he killed a chuck at 458 yards on the second shot. He took direction very well I would say.

I certainly think that everyone needs to seek their own level with shooting. Not at any time, did I suggest that doing all the preparation was necessary to having fun and attaining your personal goals in shooting

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by FredWillis

I certainly think that everyone needs to seek their own level with shooting. Not at any time, did I suggest that doing all the preparation was necessary to having fun and attaining your personal goals in shooting

Thanks for saying what I was thinking. Between brain and keyboard it sometimes gets lost in translation, and gets misinterpreted.

The chuck shooting is one of a handful on my (I hate this term) bucket list. I would love to go west for an outing of chuck shooting.

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
For myself the first shot out of a cold oiled barrel is the most important. IE the first shot at game. When working up loads 3 at 100 works for myself. Not a benchrest guy, but do like an accurate rifle. MOA at 100 is my benchmark for accuracy. Not good enough for all, but for what I do it is.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I double checked my deer hunting rifle this morning.

Not MOA but still not bad for a Kimber Montana. Didn't miss the center by more than 4"(10 shots-405 yards-breeze).

[Linked Image]

Shoots a little high going from cold to warm. First 3-4 shots are usually fairly close vertically.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the most entertaining sight-in routines I've witnessed was a guy and his teenage kid, a few days before Montana's rifle seasons for deer and elk opened. Apparently the guy didn't believe in shooting any kind of group. Instead he'd fire one shot, then adjust the scope according to where it had landed.

I work our club range on sightin days, which are open to the public. Especially with new or once a year shooters I use a one shot & adjust method. After one shot I make a 1/2 adjustment. I continue this until the single shot lands within a 1" radius of the POA at 100 yd. Then three shots to confirm. Sometimes the three shots say the rifle/shooter/ammo/scope combo are not good to go, but usually this method gets the shooter sighted in with the fewest number of rounds.

Last edited by Youper; 10/25/15.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
SamOlson, it does my heart good to see you shoot that well at 450 yards with a hunting rifle. I remember the days, when we would set up a target and drive back to longer ranges and guess the distance. Surprisingly,we did pretty good at both shooting and guessing. Had an old Bushnell Scope Chief with a BDC and we had a very good time.

The shooting you do sure adds to the fun and confidence. Congradulations on a very good target

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (1100mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 160user, 50 invisible), 18,976 guests, and 1,339 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,973
Posts18,539,922
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.