Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Been hunting since my mid to late 20s so probably 20 years because some years I didn't get to hunt at all and most years I got to hunt maybe one weekend due to family and work commitments I guess you could say I've never understood where folks get the time to hunt multiple deer per year and in truth have probably been a bit envious.
Anyway for years it was bucks only and one deer per year here in KY. Buddy and I hunted about 4- 5 years before either of us saw a shoot able buck while carrying a rifle. Buddy then moved away and We didn't hunt for several years before reconnecting. Today deer are much more common here in KY but still if you only get out 2-3 days a year getting skunked is not uncommon. So in all I have taken 18 deer 10 bucks and 8 does all rifle or ML . The most I have ever taken is two in one year. Family won't eat venison so to kill more would be way more than I can eat myself or give away. I do enjoy it but at 18 even though that's not many to some of you I feel like the novelty is waning and I am not that worried anymore if I get one or not. I really can't relate to ever wanting to kill the quantities I see quoted here. That's a lot of killing.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have taken nothing like the numbers some folks report. Especially in parts of the east.

I have taken over 100 deer though.

I got my first buck and a doe when I was 12. I am 68 now. in the 60's and early 70's, tags were plentiful and cheap so we got a lot of deer in Eastern Oregon including Agricultural hunts. Idaho was an easy tag and Montanna had a license/tag that covered all the major species.

Also, for a time Western Oregon, especially near the Tillamook Burn had phenomonal hunting.

I am back to Eastern Oregon for most of my hunting now. With our tag draws it is hard to manage more than two bucks every three years and a doe every other year. I got a five point last year but none this year. I also took a doe each year.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You sound like someone that's ready to start specializing in big, mature deer. Kentucky has some whoppers, I hear. Also elk. Either one of those ought to get your juices flowing again.

I really take my meat hunting seriously these days. My ex wouldn't eat venison except in chili, but the current Mrs. Pappy likes it just fine, especially in stir-fry dishes. Beef is so dang high these days and lots of stores don't have much of a selection. I love good beef, but I've gotten pretty good at butchering and cooking venison, so most of the red meat that goes on our table is from the woods. We also catch and eat a fair amount of fish and have a freezer full of stuff from the garden and orchard. I guess we've turned into
hunter-gatherers er, gardeners.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I seldom fill all of my tags, here in Arkansas, even though I could most years. I am allowed 2 bucks and 2 does and if I hunted some of the other zones, I could kill 2 bucks and 4 does, but I just kill what I want to eat and sometimes 1 for a close friend. I had a neighbor that I used to kill 1 for but he has passed on. I have always been a kill what you want to eat kind of guy, except for varmints and I am not as mad at them as I once was, since I have no livestock of any kind, except for the dogs. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have no desire to ever shoot more than I'll eat in a year and I can't stand the thought of hunting somewhere and not being able to bring the meat home.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have been hunting since I was a kid(about 25 years) and have probably shot around 25 bucks, whitetail and mule deer combined.

In MT you can shoot 1 buck/year and that's about what I've averaged.

Several years ago we had way too many whitetail so I shot a couple does. Never have shot a mule deer doe and more than likely never will.

Grand total less than 30 deer.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Starting my 44 yr of deer hunting....I'm still addicted to it, especially mule deer. I've been lucky to have killed north of 100 deer, with that number rising drastically since several of my buddies have MLD ground here in TX, and there's a program called Hunters for the Hungry that is always happy to take my deer. It also affords me the luxury of having a bullet proving ground, like when Mule Deer and a couple of others (Steve Timm) talked about how tough the .284 Nosler 120 BT was a few years ago.....I had to see for myself.....and they work great on deer out of 7mm-08

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've been deer hunting for 21 years, and have killed around 70 between gun and bow seasons. For about 10 of those years doe tags were unlimited at $7 each, and there were a few seasons that I went above and beyond what I needed personally. I generally don't do that any more, and stick with 2-3 per year now.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Starting my 44 yr of deer hunting....I'm still addicted to it, especially mule deer. I've been lucky to have killed north of 100 deer, with that number rising drastically since several of my buddies have MLD ground here in TX, and there's a program called Hunters for the Hungry that is always happy to take my deer. It also affords me the luxury of having a bullet proving ground, like when Mule Deer and a couple of others (Steve Timm) talked about how tough the .284 Nosler 120 BT was a few years ago.....I had to see for myself.....and they work great on deer out of 7mm-08

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

Now that's freakin truck load of deer......you da man.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
A
a12 Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Hunted DMAP in Mississippi for years. Most in one season was 15, 9 with bow that year. Quit counting when I hit 100. My 17 year old son has killed around 60.
Never had a problem giving away meat to those who wanted or needed it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I started deer hunting in 1978. Back then, we could only take 1 (doe or buck). In 1990 they raised it to 2. By 1999, we were allowed 2 bucks and 10 does with shotgun and ML each and 2 bucks and unlimited does with bow. Now they've cut us back to only 1 buck with each weapon plus 1 bonus buck overall.

After doing the math, my estimated grand total to date is a little over 200. With that said, I've never killed any pigs, mule deer, elk, prong horn, or any other large game. Hopefully I can get some of those under my belt before I die.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I used to be able to tell you specifics - date, location, weapon, size of deer etc. lost track of the details about 10 years ago and if I recall the total was around 100 white tails.

Killed 11 does one weekend in a cull hunt. Shot 10 deer another season when I had depredation permits. This is my 30th year in the woods

Now I focus on quality and getting my son out there. We have a buck and a doe in the freezer already this year so anything else we shoot this year will be a mature buck (though I may let my son shoot a smaller buck if he wants to, but I think he will hold out for a good one after shooting the doe last weekend)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are giving me blood lust! My eyes keep squinting and my trigger finger keeps twitching! I could totally dig traveling someplace to be a bunch of deer on the ground in a short time. While we have pretty liberal bag limits here, the size of parcels I have access too keep me in check.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
since 11-17-2001 up to last sat eve 209 deer 207 in TN 2 in Cando ND

If you cant hang'em on the wall
Hang'em between your teeth!!!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
For a number of years we counted only what we shot with bow. I got to over 100 when I realized who really cares.

Have NO idea at all, I could probably sit down and do the math, but have shot a few anyway.

Typically we butcher between 4-10 deer a year just depending. I"m 50. I've been killing deer since 3rd grade.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
I seldom fill all of my tags, here in Arkansas, even though I could most years. I am allowed 2 bucks and 2 does and if I hunted some of the other zones, I could kill 2 bucks and 4 does, but I just kill what I want to eat and sometimes 1 for a close friend. I had a neighbor that I used to kill 1 for but he has passed on. I have always been a kill what you want to eat kind of guy, except for varmints and I am not as mad at them as I once was, since I have no livestock of any kind, except for the dogs. miles

When I was young, I was a red hot woodchuck hunter, but have pretty much called a truce now. I spent about half a day on my deer stand watching one prepare his den for winter by carrying big mouthfuls of leaves and stuffing them in the various openings. Now my varmint of choice is a coyote but so far they've plumb evaded me. They're one critter that you can whack at will here, even during the first three days of deer season when everything else is off the table.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I am not exactly sure, but I hunted Md for about 20 years. Got 2 or 3 a year for the first couple of years, and then got onto some private land, where I got between 7 and 15 a year, for the last 15 years I was there.. I imagine around 100 - 120 or so. I DID know a guy that was a deer hunting machine, and almost always got around 30 a year, in Md. Just moved to Pa., and am needing to scout a lot before I can become effective. Actually a lot of fun to put it together, as long as you are not too hungry....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a running joke on me here in my family and in laws
my getting skunked EVERY year but it is what it is!
Been hunting here in Alabama since the late 1960`s to now
and in ALL that time just 3 deer total to show for it.
But I still love just to go and be out in the Woods and
enjoy the peace and quiet.

Molan Labe
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I kill on average 10 per year in Maryland.My best year was 15.I keep 4-5 and process them my self and give away the rest or donate it.I also usually go out west or Canada for moose,elk or mule deer. My lifetime total is 200-250,I stopped counting years ago.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I don't have a clue, and I doubt even with a lot of work that make a reasonable guess. I killed two this year and have a couple more to go. I killed four last year. four the year before. three the year before that and mostly 1-4 all the years before that. I started killing them in the fifties. A few years I didn't hunt deer and while I was away over in Viet Nam I didn't shoot any deer. Never kept a total, and now I am too old to remember.

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (22250rem, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,458 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,477
Posts18,489,976
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.