Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I took a few AR's to the range yesterday. I'd been having trouble getting my wife's to run. It just would not run. After shooting holes in a bad magazine, I remembered what you said about bolt carrier groups.

I think I PSA's cheapest $70.00 BGC in it. I pulled it out an swapped it for one of their premium nickle boron coated groups, and now the guns fine. It chewed through the next 60 rounds without missing a beat.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 05/17/15.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good to hear! What was it doing wrong?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It wouldn't lock up. The bolt would randomly decide not to close all the way and would not rotate into the locked position. Sometimes it would go into position with some help from the forward assist, sometime it wouldn't. This is with ammo that's been small base sized.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I guess the two places to spend your money are bolt carrier group and barrel?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wouldnt say that totally, as you don't have to buy the NM coated carriers and such, but they must be in spec, I trust White Oak on those things, they aren't high, but charge enough to have checked the carriers out and make sure that all in the group is in spec.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
My cousin bought a new "coated, match" carrier a while back and it wouldn't work. Someone forgot to drill the gas key but it was staked properly...

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
DD groups are good.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Last weekend, I took my wife AR, the one with the new BCG, and put it on paper. Previously it wasn't shooting very good, averaging about 4" groups. I was convinced the issue with the barrel, which I was ready to turn into a tomato stake. Since then the only other thing I did with it was spend an afternoon with the daughter shooting rocks with it, where I put about 300 rounds down the barrel.

So, last weekend, lo and behold, it broke an inch with several different loads. I was surprised, but happy.

I also shot the rife the new BCG came out of, and those groups seemed to open up a bit.

I think I'll pay a lot closer attention to my choices in BCG's in the future.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My son has given me a new PSA complete lower and I'm starting to finish this gun off. First AR for this old phardt. We were just looking at BCG's on line Friday. I see 'em for as low as $70.00. I don't want the rock bottom units, but can't go full blown premium either. Could you guys in the know suggest a couple to consider from the "mid range" spectrum of things? I'd like to keep the budget for the BCG in the $100-$150.00 range. Thanks guys.

If you need to know, the upper will be a 16" mid length, once again not a bargain basement special, but not a top end custom either.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I got a stag 6.8 that works fine, maybe their 5.56 works as good. It was about $120 with the M16 carrier IIRC. For a "home defense" gun I would get a DD and pay the $200ish.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
White Oak if it matters to me... they won't charge more than they have to, so you won't be paying for name brand crap... but they will make sure what they are selling is right.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'm sorry but the only way they will know if it is right is if they shoot it with your barrel. You're still taking chances.

The "bad" BCG probably was just a bolt not seated straight into the barrel extension/case head which is the only thing that the bolt would have to do with accuracy. once worn in or lapped in to a square fit with the case head, it might start shooting right. That's another reason they say not to swap bolts between guns.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
So, given what TWR said, what about using 1 bcg between 2 uppers on the same lower?

I have a 20" bbl flattop upper and a 16" bbl with sights.
Am I causing premature wear by swapping the bcg between the 2 uppers?

Thanks
Mark

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yes you are. The bolts wear into the extension and there will be minor variations from one to another. Depending on how much you shoot, you may never see a problem. But if you want the best accuracy, let one bolt wear or seat into one extension.

No different than lapping the lugs on a bolt action rifle. You wouldn't use the same bolt in two different bolt rifles even if head space was good on both

Bolts are cheap.

Last edited by TWR; 10/25/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it was Bob Whitley that told me that those extra-power extractor springs/grommets have a significantly negative impact on the accuracy of AR rifles. Try a standard bolt from someplace that doesn't set them all up to be used in carbines.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
David Tubbs lapped a bolt in a buddy's Colt and turned it around. That's when I started paying attention.

Carbine gassed guns are the only ones that need extra power extractor springs, in fact a rubber o-ring added to a mid- length can cause issues. They all need a good extractor.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
Yes you are. The bolts wear into the extension and there will be minor variations from one to another. Depending on how much you shoot, you may never see a problem. But if you want the best accuracy, let one bolt wear or seat into one extension.

No different than lapping the lugs on a bolt action rifle. You wouldn't use the same bolt in two different bolt rifles even if head space was good on both

Bolts are cheap.

My take on this, if you have a barrel set up correctly and a bolt that is a good one, it seems not to really matter much. We swapped stuff around quite a bit at times... and never saw a degradation in accuracy. Obviously we were not talking top line accuracy, ours only was chasing about .5 moa more or less.

Were I to after an AR for .25 moa... yes by all means do all you can.

Tubb ain't no dummy either.... we know that.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
AIM surplus makes a Nice Nitride MPI Tested full auto bolt for 89 bucks. free shipping, comes Highly recommend on the AR 15 forums.. I have assembled rifles with these Bolts and they all functioned flawless and are properly staked.

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I've seen those in emails from them pretty regularly. Thanks for the info.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
AIM surplus makes a Nice Nitride MPI Tested full auto bolt for 89 bucks. free shipping, comes Highly recommend on the AR 15 forums.. I have assembled rifles with these Bolts and they all functioned flawless and are properly staked.
Thanks KMM

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (160user, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 007FJ, 12344mag, 64 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,278
Posts18,486,771
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.