[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22
heck with ramps, winches and gadgets.....

[Linked Image]

Those " Slow Elk" taste REALLY good! And they're everywhere!

I gotta start shooting more of those! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z and I must not be old enough.

[Linked Image]

But this is how we prefer it.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Difficult

[Linked Image]

Easy

[Linked Image]

Difficult

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by callnum
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by callnum
No bulls in the bunch?

What does that have to do with anything?

Fairly simple, straight forward question.

Where there any bulls in the bunch?

Really not confusing.

What is the reason for asking about no bulls in the bunch?

Is it just not cool to shoot cows? Just trying to stir the pot? Let's have it.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Alamosa
Difficult

[Linked Image]

Easy

[Linked Image]

Difficult

[Linked Image]

I take it that you shoot elk when you see them...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by castnblast

[Linked Image]

Great Bull!!!!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I take it that you shoot elk when you see them...

I haven't always had the luxury to pick and choose.

That first one was shot elsewhere, ran a little bit, and chose that location herself.
Nice place to depart this world for her. For me not so much.

Last edited by Alamosa; 10/29/15.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Nice setup Shrapnel, I had the same in my old truck with the addition of a plywood ramp to make it a bit easier. Haven't put one in the new truck yet but this has got me fired up to do it again. I can't drive to many of the places I hunt but there are some where I can, and it sure would be nice to have this option if you can use it. Even a big deer or bear would be a lot easier to load this way if your on your own, which I usually am. Looks like your having a pretty good year there.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Nice work Shrapnel!!! Glad you are having a great season..

Molon Labe
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Nice setup Shrapnel, I had the same in my old truck with the addition of a plywood ramp to make it a bit easier. Haven't put one in the new truck yet but this has got me fired up to do it again. I can't drive to many of the places I hunt but there are some where I can, and it sure would be nice to have this option if you can use it. Even a big deer or bear would be a lot easier to load this way if your on your own, which I usually am. Looks like your having a pretty good year there.

I thought about suggesting some plywood, but pretty sure the great Shrapnel had thought of it and just didn't happen to have it in the pictures. No smartssiness intended.

I did see a cool thing in S Africa? It looked like a heavy duty tarp with reinforced handholds so an animal could be slid on it and up to 6 guys carry it. Worked surprisingly well for short distances, where the winch was then engaged ( no pun intended).

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I went elk hunting for the first time last year in Colorado. We used a quad to pull the cows we shot to the road. Then they had a 10' skate conveyor and a small winch. Had the elk into the truck no muss or fuss with my spine intact.

I don't see why you wouldn't use technology IF you are lucky enough to.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You guys have some nice trucks. Pretty new looking.

My g8-g8 uncle was Barney Riggs. Google and read about him. He roamed around the southwest, mainly west Tx and Az and NM territory. History credits him with from 9 - 12 men he killed, not counting Mexicans and Indians. Family lore has it at 18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have done it with the winch on my 4 wheeler in the past, but with a topper on, the winch in the box is perfect...

[Linked Image]

No doubt about it. The hills seem steeper and the game trails longer!

I've done this exact thing, only with a trailer. Back the ATV on, then winch the elk up the ramps. The old back just won't do what it used to.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Wish I had your rig here.. Mostly I have hunted alone or with my wife.. Now an elk is just more than I care to deal with on my own.. Been out a couple times, but my heart just isn't in it.. Have a hunt coming on later with an old college friend.. That should be fun..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunted with my long-time (since 1998) hunting buddy. He is diabetic and announced this year would be his last due to physical impairment related to his diabetes. (His shoulders are so bad he has a hard tome dressing, let alone packing out elk.)

This year the hunt became more about doing what he could do rather than what we needed to do. While we covered some new ground, mostly we revisited old haunts. Dave never got more than 1.5 miles from the truck and we both knew that if we got an elk down that far away we would have to hire a horse to get it out.

Hunting smarter did the trick. Friday, our last day, we hunted right where I had been telling him we would have our best chance of getting an elk. We set up just over 200 yards from the truck. We left the truck at shooting light (about 6:15) and were in position shortly thereafter, atop a small knoll, hiding behind some sage.

By 7:00 I had a 6x5 bull down, a hair over 400 yards away. We were able to get the game cart to the bull by following a two-track along a fence line and then an older track that was still clear of sage right up to the bull. By 11:00 we had the bull in the truck, had driven to Craig where we dropped the head off for CWD testing, stopped for lunch at Wendy's in Craig and were headed back to Meeker where we were camped.

Here is were we set up:
[Linked Image]

And here is Dave with the bull, less tha 45 minutes later. I used his Ruger MKII 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam to take it. Ironically, he used my Ruger M77 7mm RM and a 160g Grand Slam to take his first elk in 1999.

[Linked Image]

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A little crusty snow and it's in the bag.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 204guy, 1234, 16gage, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,399
Posts18,470,113
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.