Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

You've always qualified for the Rifle Loony Order of Merit, which is a step above Certified.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The number to qualify as a CRL would depend on the cartridges. You could own 8 rifles in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield and .300 Winchester Magnum and just be an ORL (Ordinary Rifle Loony).

But if you own 4 rifles in .22 K-Hornet, .300 H&H, .348 WCF and .450/.400 3" you're definitely a CRL!

Does having an array of Savage 99s in 220 Swift, 25 Souper, 25-284, 260, 6.5-284, 338-284, and 40-55 get me a CRL or ORL badge?

Surely having 15 Winchester/USRA 70s in 25 WSSM is at least irregular loony territory.

I'll let the 'expert" loony figure that one out....

but me, I'd vote no need for badges for you.....

you get the special padded room grin

Geno

MD best me to it!

Last edited by Valsdad; 10/30/15. Reason: beat me to it

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Jeff,

You've always qualified for the Rifle Loony Order of Merit, which is a step above Certified.

I am awed, or is it odd?

And without even citing the 25 Rem, 25-36 Marlin, or 256 Newton!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The number to qualify as a CRL would depend on the cartridges. You could own 8 rifles in .223 Remington, .243 Winchester, .270 Winchester, 7mm Remington Magnum, .308 Winchester, .30-06 Springfield and .300 Winchester Magnum and just be an ORL (Ordinary Rifle Loony).

But if you own 4 rifles in .22 K-Hornet, .300 H&H, .348 WCF and .450/.400 3" you're definitely a CRL!

So would a 257 Bob, a 6.5x55, a 35 Whelen and Marlin levers in 30-30, 35 Rem, 44 Mag and 45-70 count?

(yes, I like Marlins grin)

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Getting there, but a lot would depend on which rifles the .257, 6.5x55 and .35 Whelen are chambered in.

Are all your Marlins pretty recent models?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
When a LGS calls you saying they have two used Leupold's,does that qualify as SLR?

Super Rifle Looney.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I own 5 '06's
Do a 35 SLR, a 32-20 Marlin takedown, and a 32-20 Colt Bisley help put me over into CRL status?

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So, since being a CRL appears to be part quantity, part oddity, and part something else that's purely subjective (as judged by someone else), I'm humbly thinking that having a Heinz 57 group like 25, 30, 32 and 35 Rem Model 14's, a 17Rem-223 LH Kimber, Savage 99's in 22 Hi Power and 303 Savage, LH 788's in 6mm and 308, the obligatory old 8mm's and 6.5 Swedes, some LH A-bolts w/ BOSS, and LH 7mm STW's in Rem 700 and Win 70 might at least let me buy a beer at the bar of the CRL fraternity. (Does buying the beer help?)

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
After I started using the term "rifle loony" in RIFLE magazine around the year 2000, or maybe a little earlier, some readers got upset with the term. In one of my articles was a line about "the subspecies of human being" known as rifle loonies, and that really got one guy started. He was not only offended by "loony" but "subspecies," apparently believing it meant some kind of ape.

But the magazine and I both weathered through that phase, and by 2004 the term had been accepted by RIFLE'S readership enough that when I did a column entitled "You Might Be A Rifle Loony...." the response was pretty positive. The list wasn't just mine, because examples were donated by a number of friends.
As the column suggested, if any of these apply you just might be a rifle loony:

You've seriously debated the difference between the .270 Winchester and .280 Remington--and ended up owning both.

The only thing better than the latest, newest In-Rifle is a really old rifle.

On a long airplane flight, you pass up the latest Grisham novel, taking AFRICAN RIFLE & CARTRIDGES instead.

When cleaning out your shaving kit for the same trip, you discover an ejector assembly for a 98 Mauser.

You reach in your pocket for change, and amid the dimes and quarters find the recovered bullet from a dead elk.

Somebody asks for a good 7x57 load, and you can recite every one you've ever used.

You don't recognize 80 percent of the celebrities listed as getting divorced in PEOPLE magazine, but within three minutes can locate the dog-eared copy of a gun magazine that includes a profile of your favorite cartridge.

Your rifle safe is like Heaven: There's always room for one more.

You buy a .375 H&H "just in case" you ever get to Africa.

On your vacation, you visit Gettysburg and end up looking for gun shops.

You name any of your dogs or kids Rigby, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Keith or O'Connor.

Your UPS man comes up the walk with long box, singing, "Here's another one!"

You purchased a set of used dies at a gun show and had to build a rifle to fit them.

You've solemnly recited, "Beware the man with one rifle," knowing full well you're not that man--and none of your friends are either.

John Steinbeck
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Good one's John, thanks for the Loonie examples.

My son's house dog is Nellie, short for Benelli, and their Cat is Berrett. His big Lab is Cody, but he has never been to Wyoming...

I am afraid my 2nd grandson from them will also be named after a firearm, but their first born is Wyatt so we might just get a Western Celebrity name, LOL

And I do have 3 empty cases lined up trying to decide my next rifle. One is a 243WSSM, a 270wsm and a 350 rem mag- just because I have a 350 rem mag as a possibly donor. But I added a 25-06 to the lineup last night, which was my initial choice before finding the 350 rem mag hiding in the back of the vault. I am trying to convince myself to go all stainless, which means a new gun, no blued action donor.

Allen

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Surely having 15 Winchester/USRA 70s in 25 WSSM is at least irregular loony territory.

Folks, what we have here is a S.R.L., or Serial Rifle Looney.

Note how the subject will wander gunshows and gun sale forums for days looking for the the object that meets the Profile of his Compulsion. They tend to evolve, and the periods between purchases get shorter and shorter as they lose to ability to resist their obsession.

Look for tattoos of 87grain and 120grain on opposing sides of subjects arms.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks, MD for the help, and for the books.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just got mine and can see days of getting nothing done ahead...except for reading. whistle whistle

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...But if you own 4 rifles in .22 K-Hornet, .300 H&H, .348 WCF and .450/.400 3" you're definitely a CRL!

Uh-oh, was afraid of that - I have all four of those. Is there an 800 number I need to call for treatment?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JGray
...But if you own 4 rifles in .22 K-Hornet, .300 H&H, .348 WCF and .450/.400 3" you're definitely a CRL!

Uh-oh, was afraid of that - I have all four of those. Is there an 800 number I need to call for treatment?

Bwahahahahaha! grin

Treatment he asks? Right. Yep . Sure thing......

It works as good as Cermalube!

Dude, give in to the force!

Geno

PS, get another job to support your "habit" if you have to. Folks around here love self sufficiency.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ken,

Read the caption to the close-up photo of the rifle and ammo on the previous page, and you'll find the mention of the elk.

There are some typos in this printing, including three that we decided were serious enough to include an "errata" sheet with the books shipped in the last few days. But here they are for those who didn't get the sheet:

On page 29, second line from the top. "2fps/inch rule" should read "2fps/degree rule."

At the bottom of page 421 in the last paragraph, the formula for calculating the area of a circle is described as "Pi squared times the radius" when it should read "Pi times the radius squared." But all the bore areas listed were figured correctly.

On page 427 the last line of the recoil-formula example for the .243 Winchester should read "ME 1867/174 = 10.7"

The one part of the book where there apparently aren't any typos is the loading data. That's because Eileen and I went over it several times, then gave copies to two friends who are serious handloaders and had them check it all out. Then we changed the few mistakes they found, and checked it all again several times again.

Yesterday we had to order a second printing, because in the first week we shipped about 60% of the first printing. The next one will include corrections of the above mistakes, plus a few others that weren't as important, but just puzzling. One was apparently caused by computer glitch, where the number 2/3 was somehow inserted in the middle of a word!

p290
308 Winchester section
Lines 10-11

"... commercial Remington brass averaging 185 grains in weight."

Is this a typo? I've weighed a bunch of 308 cases over the last decade, and in my experience 165 would be a lot more typical for Remington 308's.

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Will have to check my brass. Bought a bunch of Remington many years ago when some mail-order company (probably Midway) offered 500 rounds really cheap. Probably got it in the early 1990's, as brass often was pretty cheap then, especially in big lots. Bought 500-round vatches for several other big game cartridges back then, but eventually quit when I ended up with so many rifles in different chambering that just storing the damn brass got to be a problem.

When I first started handloading, most magazine writers firmly stated that Remington brass ran noticeably heavier than Winchester, and they were generally correct. But in recent years I've noticed there often isn't as much difference.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How about 2 270's, 2 22-250's 3 220 swifts, 5 222 mags, 2 243's, 4 30-06's, 8 or ten each of 38-40 and 44-40's?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There are some typos in this printing, including three that we decided were serious enough to include an "errata" sheet with the books shipped in the last few days. But here they are for those who didn't get the sheet:

At the bottom of page 421 in the last paragraph, the formula for calculating the area of a circle is described as "Pi squared

I thought I might help here and point out that Pi are round, cornbread are square...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
After I started using the term "rifle loony" in RIFLE magazine around the year 2000, or maybe a little earlier, some readers got upset with the term. In one of my articles was a line about "the subspecies of human being" known as rifle loonies, and that really got one guy started. He was not only offended by "loony" but "subspecies," apparently believing it meant some kind of ape.

But the magazine and I both weathered through that phase, and by 2004 the term had been accepted by RIFLE'S readership enough that when I did a column entitled "You Might Be A Rifle Loony...." the response was pretty positive. The list wasn't just mine, because examples were donated by a number of friends.
As the column suggested, if any of these apply you just might be a rifle loony:

You've seriously debated the difference between the .270 Winchester and .280 Remington--and ended up owning both.

The only thing better than the latest, newest In-Rifle is a really old rifle.

On a long airplane flight, you pass up the latest Grisham novel, taking AFRICAN RIFLE & CARTRIDGES instead.

When cleaning out your shaving kit for the same trip, you discover an ejector assembly for a 98 Mauser.

You reach in your pocket for change, and amid the dimes and quarters find the recovered bullet from a dead elk.

Somebody asks for a good 7x57 load, and you can recite every one you've ever used.

You don't recognize 80 percent of the celebrities listed as getting divorced in PEOPLE magazine, but within three minutes can locate the dog-eared copy of a gun magazine that includes a profile of your favorite cartridge.

Your rifle safe is like Heaven: There's always room for one more.

You buy a .375 H&H "just in case" you ever get to Africa.

On your vacation, you visit Gettysburg and end up looking for gun shops.

You name any of your dogs or kids Rigby, Remington, Ruger, Winchester, Keith or O'Connor.

Your UPS man comes up the walk with long box, singing, "Here's another one!"

You purchased a set of used dies at a gun show and had to build a rifle to fit them.

You've solemnly recited, "Beware the man with one rifle," knowing full well you're not that man--and none of your friends are either.

Hmmmmmmmmmm....a couple of those sound oddly familiar.... whistle

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (Amos63, 7887mm08, 35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 10 invisible), 1,498 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,515
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.